It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Is Not Great

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

Many do think this but it is not something I have seeked inner awarness on...maybe I should. I find if I ask too many questions the answers are difficult to hear so I try to keep it simple with only one question at a time. Is this something you have found, also that you must be very precise and direct with what it is you seek answers to. No maybes or could be's I find it has to be direct and precise. For example... What am I?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknessFollows

G-D is great. People aren't. What has G-D done that is so bad? Really, it's us.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Green
reply to post by blujay

blujay I am enjoying your posts very much . It was only recently you were discussing the symptoms of awakening and now you are experiencing your awakening.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by Mr Green]

Thanks, MG! It has been a very fast ride for me thus far! I would never have imagined being 'here' only a year ago.

And yes, I agree, I certainly wish more would just look inside. This would alleviate soooo many of our personal and worldly problems.

So many people are swayed by the clergy. Who are the most peaceful and understanding of all? It seems to me to be those monks, the Buddists, all those peaceful souls who go deep within. Do they ask why is this world so evil? They do not. They accept, they send love, they medidate on world peace. They accept that all is in divine order.

There is a story I read somewhere... I can try to give the jist of it...

There was an old yogi in a small fishing village in the South Pacific Islands. In the village lived a young boy. On his birthday, the boy received a shiny new bicycle, the villagers said, 'oh how great!' .. the old yogi said, 'we'll see'. Then one day the young boy fell off of the bicycle and broke his ankle, the villagers said, ' oh, how terrible!', and the old yogi said, 'we'll see'. Then one day, the village went to war with another village and all the men and boys had to go fight, but the young boy couldn't go because his ankle was bad, the villagers said. 'oh, how great',
the old yogi said, 'we'll see.....' and you get the drift.

... everything that is put in front of you for you to experience is just that, only an experience to see how you will react to it. If we try to not react, but to step back and see the experience for what it is trying to teach us, our lives become a tad easier to deal with. And if you go further and take the story that Mr Green posted about the young flame, and imagine your self as that flame and every single person around you as another flame here for his/her own experience, the ride is much more entertaining.

I believe I rambled a titch...

[edit on 5-9-2009 by blujay]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknessFollows
Kinglizard wrote:

You can't blame God for a free mans actions and decisions.

And why not? Isn't god the one who created man, according to the bible? The biblical god is omnipotent, right? Doesn this mean he knew forehand that man would really screw up, and become sinners? Since he knew all this in advance, and still continued to create man, why shouldn't he be blamed for it?

[edit on 5-9-2009 by DarknessFollows]

So you would prefer that G-D treat us all like puppets or Barbie dolls and craft our every move and thought? So if IT doesn't do this, and let's us have free will then IT's bad?

See...I kind of like free will. That's just me, but...

Maybe it is as the Gnostic Christians believed and that we are all G-D incarnate in a sense that chooses to craft this reality? Then its back to us and personal responsibility.

We make poor choices and want to blame it on some other being so we can sleep at night. We eat junk food and wonder why we have so many diseases. Of course, it's G-Ds fault for not saving us from them. We choose not to feed the poor then blame G-D that they're starving. We start wars and then blame G-D for not stepping in to stop them. You know, you really should thank G-D. He gives us a perfect excuse to be blind to all of the problems of the world.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

I haven't spent an enormous amount of time on it, but what I have sought out, has come back as a positive on that thought. It resonates heavily with me, so I am comfortable with the idea. I have some Pagan prayers for the sunrise I have been using for nearly a year.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

reply to post by blujay

Many do think this but it is not something I have seeked inner awarness on...maybe I should. I find if I ask too many questions the answers are difficult to hear so I try to keep it simple with only one question at a time. Is this something you have found, also that you must be very precise and direct with what it is you seek answers to. No maybes or could be's I find it has to be direct and precise. For example... What am I?

I find if I ask non specific questions, my answers will be more of a puzzle to figure out... some things just come back, wham!, there's your answer, some come in very interesting codes! I've learned to become very aware of absolutely everything in my day... from bumper stickers I see to bees, to web pages I am directed to, etc.

Lately I have been asking what I am to do for employment, as I left my negatively charged position a month or so ago. Nothing had come to pass for a long time ... but last night in an amazing window of clairty I saw it. I saw myself where I will be working. Not a business sign, but a clear vision of me there, helping people. These clear visions always come to pass I have found. So, now all I have to do is seek where I believe this vision will be. Fun, huh? Some would think this to be irresponsible and crazy, to me at this time, it seems more sane than anything else. It's like living in a treasure hunt game.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

G-D is great. People aren't. What has G-D done that is so bad? Really, it's us.

And why not? Isn't god the one who created man, according to the bible? The biblical god is omnipotent, right? Doesn this mean he knew forehand that man would really screw up, and become sinners? Since he knew all this in advance, and still continued to create man, why shouldn't he be blamed for it?

If the world hadn't been created, we wouldn't have starvation, child abuse, holocaust, etc etc. If god is all-knowing, why would he have created everything anyway if he knew we would completely screw up? So, it's just us, then. The creator, the one who started it all, has no responsibility in all of this. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I have to disagree.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Karl Marx was quoted as saying “Religion is the opiate of the masses.”

I would now propose that "Opiates are the opiates of the masses", but thats a different monster all together.

As for your original question......there are many good reasons to believe in God, its not all bad.

But the negatives far outweigh the positives if you ask me, i would agree with your title, God is not great.

God is great. Man is not great.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Dragon, I wasn't directing anything at you. I was just making a generalized statement. I just cringe when the people on the board don't have fear of God. I have fear of God, and I respect him.

www.acts17-11.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blujay

There is a story I read somewhere... I can try to give the jist of it...

There was an old yogi in a small fishing village in the South Pacific Islands. In the village lived a young boy. On his birthday, the boy received a shiny new bicycle, the villagers said, 'oh how great!' .. the old yogi said, 'we'll see'. Then one day the young boy fell off of the bicycle and broke his ankle, the villagers said, ' oh, how terrible!', and the old yogi said, 'we'll see'. Then one day, the village went to war with another village and all the men and boys had to go fight, but the young boy couldn't go because his ankle was bad, the villagers said. 'oh, how great',
the old yogi said, 'we'll see.....' and you get the drift.

yes I remember a similar story of an old respected yogi in a village.
One day a girl in the village realized she was pregnant and told the village the yogi was the father.
The whole village was outraged and went on mass to his house. They shouted angerly at him that they knew he was the childs father. he calmly replied "Is that so"

The whole village disowned him and became very hostile to him. When the baby was born the villages went and said here is your baby you must look after it until it is grown, you have wronged this girl and you must now pay for the childs upbringing. He answered again "Is that so"

He cared and looked after the baby for many years, no one ever visited him, he was totally discluded from village life, but he still loved and cared for the child.

then one day the childs mother woke up in a terrible state of guilt, she went to the village and told the truth. She said the childs father was not the yogi but it was the fishermans boy. She had felt unable to admit this at the time so blamed the old yogi.

The village went to the old yogi and said how very very sorry they all were and that the child was infact not his.

He calmly looked at them and said "Is that so"

They accept, they send love, they medidate on world peace. They accept that all is in divine order.

This is exactly what he did, he accepted the divine order and embraced it with love.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

That which does not destroy us, nourishes us.

That which does not kill me, makes me strong.

Experience is everything.

If human existence is (if lucky) around 80 years, and eternity is, well, eternity, then this horror, sadness, and suffering is a blip on the radar, but extremely useful in learning to value that which is good, sane, or a blessing.

You cannot know how bright light can be if you've never seen dark. Perhaps, we live eternal existences and seek a change, seek a lesson. What if G-D didn't do this to us at all but we chose this plane and created it for ourselves?

This is beginning to sound like the age old teenage rant: I didn't ask to be here! Well, you are here, and there are lessons to be learned here.

Life doesn't have to be perfect to be of value. All of us are old enough to know by now that we don't remember the good times as much as the bad. The best lessons we get in life aren't from when it all goes right, but when everything falls apart.

In this I can say, G-D is good.

If all I ate was Lindt dark chocolate truffles then they wouldn't be Lindt dark chocolate truffles anymore.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

God cannot be blamed because he gave man the right to free will, if he would step in and change things, then man would no longer have a free will aka the right to do whatever they want ... therefore it is technically mans, not God's fault things are screwed up.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustG

Originally posted by LiveForever8

God is great. Man is not great.

As much as I would love to agree with you here, because the atrocities I see day in and day out commited by man, I believe God would disagree.

Is man not spark of the original creator?

All that exists is God, God experiencing itself subjectively.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
We should all be grateful to be here together. On this Earth at this time.
We should be thankful for our skeptics who give us all the more reason to assist.

Regardless of where each of you are on your Path, I am grateful to share this topic with you. Through discussion we are all learning from each other. We may not agree, that merely means we are at different places on the Path. There are always those in front of you, and always those behind you. Seek guidance from those in front of you, and reach out your hand and assist those coming upon your heels.

For in the end, we all end up in the same place.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

If human existence is (if lucky) around 80 years, and eternity is, well, eternity, then this horror, sadness, and suffering is a blip on the radar, but extremely useful in learning to value that which is good, sane, or a blessing. Tell that to others who suffer.

Try to explain that to those who are suffering now. Tell that to a baby who's been beaten so severely that his fragile spine is broken.

Now, about free will. What seems to be ignored, is what I said about the responsibility of god before he created. I wonder why nobody is responding to that. So, again, I repeat my question: if god is all knowing, he knew the # that would come from his creation, including all the suffering. He still decided to continue with his plans for creation. And you're trying to tell me he doesnt have any responsibility for what is going on? Please.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by DarknessFollows]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Think of Earth as a big giant play. We all are playing our respective parts. God/Creator/Infinity becomes aware of itself (big bang), awareness leads to desire to experience the Creation.

So here we are, the sparks of Creation, sent out to have the experiences, good, bad, ugly... all of them have to be experinced. This is the will of God.

In the end, no one is really hurt... on the soul level, maybe in the illusion we call reality, but not really hurt. It's one giant experiment of experiences that must be experienced to move forth. Just imagine... you could have been a perpetrator in another life. We've been theives, paupers, wives, husbands... it's all there to relish in for the Creator. And in the Creators eyes, there is no wrong. Only the experience.

God is all and all are God. It can't be different.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Now, about free will. What seems to be ignored, is what I said about the responsibility of god before he created. I wonder why nobody is responding to that. So, again, I repeat my question: if god is all knowing, he knew the # that would come from his creation, including all the suffering. He still decided to continue with his plans for creation. And you're trying to tell me he doesnt have any responsibility for what is going on? Please.

I do have the answer but it is late so I cant actually write as I would like, but I will when I am less tired. It is all about how we need to experience duality to understand God. God is all knowing, he is all there is but wished to give his knowing life and experience through duality...us...the Universe...and everything.

It has been said before in this thread...You need to experience what you are not to understand what it is you are. Its not easy to get across Im sorry. (maybe someone can say it better before i find the words???)

I suggest the very excellent book Conversations with God. It will explain this far better than I can.

(however the crazy thing is, in order to reconnect to the Source once you understand duality is to actually let it fall away....let duality fall away from you)

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Mr Green]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

(however the crazy thing is, in order to reconnect to the Source once you understand duality is to actually let it fall away....let duality fall away from you)

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Mr Green]

That is the crazy thing. Here we are on our journey back to Source/God, we finally understand duality, we get it, we live it... then to get home we must let it fall away. One crazy experiment, I'd say!

This is where I believe I am in my journey. I've had a quick awakening, run the gamut of emotions about it, got a grip on it, now I have begun the task of letting the illusion fall away... which is tough while I'm still expected to live amongst it.

I look forward to your next post after you get some rest!

edited to try to fix quotes

[edit on 7-9-2009 by blujay]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

If human existence is (if lucky) around 80 years, and eternity is, well, eternity, then this horror, sadness, and suffering is a blip on the radar, but extremely useful in learning to value that which is good, sane, or a blessing. Tell that to others who suffer.

Try to explain that to those who are suffering now. Tell that to a baby who's been beaten so severely that his fragile spine is broken.

G-D didn't break the baby's spine, a human did.

How do you know that G-D created you? Perhaps you chose to be created?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by A Fortiori

That which does not destroy us, nourishes us.

That which does not kill me, makes me strong.

Experience is everything.

If human existence is (if lucky) around 80 years, and eternity is, well, eternity, then this horror, sadness, and suffering is a blip on the radar, but extremely useful in learning to value that which is good, sane, or a blessing.

You cannot know how bright light can be if you've never seen dark. Perhaps, we live eternal existences and seek a change, seek a lesson. What if G-D didn't do this to us at all but we chose this plane and created it for ourselves?

This is beginning to sound like the age old teenage rant: I didn't ask to be here! Well, you are here, and there are lessons to be learned here.

Life doesn't have to be perfect to be of value. All of us are old enough to know by now that we don't remember the good times as much as the bad. The best lessons we get in life aren't from when it all goes right, but when everything falls apart.

In this I can say, G-D is good.

If all I ate was Lindt dark chocolate truffles then they wouldn't be Lindt dark chocolate truffles anymore.

Awesome post!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join