It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents May Boycott Obama's Speech

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer

First of all, I don't appreciate your comments in reference to the concern for my children, so I would respectfully ask that you keep your mouth shut about that...mkay? Thanks, appreciate that....

I think you took it the wrong way, OR I put it badly either way, I meant, there are a lot of people who claim there are not letting their children watch because of harm done to them. But that cannot possible be the case. Because up until recently, we did not even know what was in the speech. So it seemed like this was more political ideology then care for children. Hope that clears that up.

Originally posted by desertdreamer

I believe that you are the one that is ignorant here. I raise my kids to understand that their education is important, and that it will follow them for the rest of their lives and determine what they will do.....I don't need Obama to tell my kids for me. I am an adult, and can handle my own family business. You on the other hand.....not so sure, maybe you feel as if you and your kids do need it (if you even have any). Maybe you should just be taking care of business and letting your kids know all about it yourself.

Again I pose this question, if you can handle your family, perhaps you should teach them at home?, perhaps NO ONE can teach them better then you. That's kinda arrogant don't you think?
I mean he is the leader of the "not so" free world and a very smart man. He also has a charisma that has the ability to make people think.
People have certain skills in this world, and as any leader or CEO or whom ever will tell you, you succeed by learning from people who are better at something then you. The bottom line. Its a good speech, it will make your child think. As I stated above you may THINK your child take your word and bond, but truth be told, they question everything. And perhaps validation from an outside source, whether it be Michael Jordan or Barak Obama can only help.

BTW.....nice yearbookyourself avatar...

[edit on 7-9-2009 by desertdreamer]

Thanks.. its my Doggie. There are some freaking funny ones, Almost looks real lol.

Also. No offense meant to you about your children or family. But if you have read enough of the ignorance on these threads that have nothing to do with rational, objective thinking. I just have a sneaking suspicion, that a lot (not necessarily you) are not doing this for their children.

Have a great day!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
So the speech is out, do the neo-cons care to explain what the fuss is all about? Nothing brainwashy that I could see. I wonder how you would have reacted to Palin wanting to talk to the kids.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Well to me the sentiment of that question is the same as what JFK asked:
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

No i'm sorry it's not. asking what you can do for your country is a far cry from asking what you can do to serve your president.

Our president is supposed to serve us, not the other way around.

And if i'm not mistaken President kennedy posed that question when he was addressing the whole nation, not in a speech directed solely at our children.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
BOO YA

My sons school is closing for the day tomorrow, all on the radio around town not to let kids listen and they have organized some horse patooey Staff meeting for the day!!!!

I was saying this the other day.... town my son lives in VOTE went to OBAMA, not a year later they are closing the school to avoid his stupid speeches...

Americans may not be so foolish after all, people are aware what this sort of thing means and fighting back.

Stay away from my kids dammit

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
BOO YA

Not at my child school, I am glad they are showing and at least giving parents the option. Closing a school because some one wants to speak about education is the meaning of Irony.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

OK so let me get this straight. Loosing trillions of dollars...eh. Letting big pharma bankrupt tens of thousands of Americans so a few of the rich get rich, meh. Start and illegal war that costs us human lives, trillions of dollars, and our standing in the world, pfffffft. Address our children to tell them to work hard and try to be the best - whoooooa now you dunnit!

It is ok to give my hard earned money to the rich because they need to be richer and it is ok to send my brothers off to die so some more rich can get richer but to try and tell the children of the country to do good with their lives is going way to far.

What planet did you all come from? Did you boycott Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr. Reagan addressing schoolchildren as well?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
No i'm sorry it's not. asking what you can do for your country is a far cry from asking what you can do to serve your president.

Our president is supposed to serve us, not the other way around.

And if i'm not mistaken President kennedy posed that question when he was addressing the whole nation, not in a speech directed solely at our children.

I just want to send out my prayers and best wishes to you and your kind. It is sad that in the year 2009, your children are not bright enough to hear the president speak and make it out unbrainwashed. Luckily my kids know not to believe everything they see on tv anyway and to be honest, could really care less to hear the speech. I know I found all kinds of fun distractions when I was in school during speeches by the president or watching the space shuttle blow up as I am sure many will be doing tomorrow. Well, in the places where the parents have raised children smart enough to endure a harmless speech anyway.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

And this isn’t just important for your own life and your own future. What you make of your education will decide nothing less than the future of this country.

If you don’t do that – if you quit on school – you’re not just quitting on yourself, you’re quitting on your country.

Emphasis mine.

Yeah that's real good place the weight of the whole country on the shoulders of an eight year old. I think that's just a little too much stress for elementary school children.

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ShiftTrio

Also that question is not in there.

Well it's obvious that you saw where i said this...

She was uncomfortable with one of the questions he was going to pose which was, what can you do to serve your president

But you seem to have missed the very next sentence where i said this.....

They've been told that he has since tweaked his speech because there is so much controversy about it.

He also has a charisma that has the ability to make people think.

Unfortunately it's just the opposite, he has a charisma that has the ability to make people blindly follow.

[edit on 9/8/2009 by chise61]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lillydale

I just want to send out my prayers and best wishes to you and your kind.

I know who i am, perhaps you could tell me just exactly who "my kind" is ? And please keep your prayers for you and yours, i'm slightly afraid of what you may pray for regarding me and "my kind".

Just so you know my children are full grown men that were most definately raised to make it out of any speech unbrainwashed, and my grandchildren are being raised the same way.

It's not a fear of brainwashing, it's an objection to the communistic way that he is going about speaking to the children.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ShiftTrio

Thanks for the reply, no offense taken. I wish my wife and I had the time to home school our children, but in this day and age we cannot afford to. I would just prefer to talk to my kids myself. I read the speech, and no, it did not seem that harsh.....but it does put alot of pressure on them. I am not quite sure that the kids of America are ready to hear that the fate of our country rests on their shoulders. I mean, i know they NEED to hear that, and I know it is true.....but when I was a kid, if my parents or anyone else would have gave me that speech I would have laughed. i know that is terrible, but that is just not what kids are thinking about right now. They are wondering what is going to be for lunch in the cafeteria.....will that bully try to take my money again...lol....or, I hope I see that girl this weekend. Kids are going to be kids, and no amount of speeches is going to change that.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

And this isn’t just important for your own life and your own future. What you make of your education will decide nothing less than the future of this country.

If you don’t do that – if you quit on school – you’re not just quitting on yourself, you’re quitting on your country.

Emphasis mine.

Yeah that's real good place the weight of the whole country on the shoulders of an eight year old. I think that's just a little too much stress for elementary school children.

www.whitehouse.gov...

My thoughts exactly. When I read the speech I felt like there would be alot more pressure on the kids.....they have enough on them already!

[edit on 8-9-2009 by desertdreamer]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Laura Bush backs Obama on School speech

Former first lady Laura Bush on Monday expressed support for President Barack Obama's decision to speak to the nation's school children, saying it is "really important for everyone to respect the president of the United States."

www.freerepublic.com...

Well Laura seems to have the right attitude as former first lady and teacher.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Yeah, too much pressure. Math is hard. Let's not put any pressure on them to succeed.

[edit on 9/8/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
LOL, all right, it's out. Anyone else wanna get up on the soapbox and cry wolf?

Harm None
Peace

Oh and GO TO SCHOOL, it is obvious that many here need to do that.

There's no excuse for not trying.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DraconianKing
So the speech is out, do the neo-cons care to explain what the fuss is all about? Nothing brainwashy that I could see. I wonder how you would have reacted to Palin wanting to talk to the kids.

He did say that the Youth are the future
i mean what kind of manipulative person is he telling the Kids that?
filling their heads with the Idea that they can be anything if they thrive for it and work hard.

impeech him.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No since in telling the kids that if they don't do well in school that they are letting their country down. That's ridiculous. Whatever...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Just a quick update, on how my kid took it. Hes 10 BTW.. First it was boring lol. But what he did take away was, why do some fathers leave their kids. And it concerned him that other kids had to go through that, So he took away what I generally think the speech was indented, for under privileged youths. He did feel bad and swore he would never do that to his kid, we also discussed about how sometimes fathers are too young, and kids should not be having kids etc.

So all in all the things he learned, were good. or at least what he thought about and what effected him the most out of the speech. But I am sure some Single mother, worked 2 jobs, latch key kid might have taken away some hope that he can become anything. All and All I am happy.

Just my 2 cents

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
If a moderator is going to remove one of my posts, I would like the courtesy of an explanation in the future.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join