It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crowd control on the National Defense Highway System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Took this picture on Interstate 64 between Richmond, Va and Hampton Roads. These gates are present on all of the on ramps and off ramps on the east bound lanes. It's a major hurricane evacuation route, it makes sense that they would close off eastbound traffic(going toward the ocean) and have both east and west bound lanes moving people westward away from potential storm surge and high flood areas. Then I was coming back going west bound and noticed the gates are also present on the westbound lanes. Clearly not for just hurricane evacuation then.

The gates are present at the bottom and top of each on ramp and off ramp. One closing off traffic from the interstate and one closing off the traffic from the local road the ramp feeds into. And like I said in both east and west bound lanes. These have not been here that long. Maybe five years. That corridor also is heavily surveilled with cameras as well.

I think something big is going to be going down soon and the powers that be will need to have full control of migration routes or they will shut the interstates off to civilian traffic altogether in the case of martial law.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Jack Jouett]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The first thing that caught my eye weren't the Gate Arms but how poorly maintained your Freeways are there! And I thought California's Freeways were poorly maintained!

As far as those gates, they don't earnestly look like they would stop anyone who didn't want to get through. It wouldn't even have to take a Semi or Pickup Truck to crash through those. It looks like any standard car could as well! (Not to mention if you weren't right in front of them, you could drive right around them!)

To be honest, the way they are designed, it looks more like for the purpose of Traffic Control during Rush Hours. They are probably intended to be used to relieve congestion on the On & Off Ramps at timed intervals...letting only 1-3 cars past at a time...or perhaps even to temporarily stop traffic if there is an accident ahead, although you'd think in that later case they would just have digital signs to detour traffic.

So, I went to the Virginia Department of Transportation Website and on the front-page they had those gates displayed. They do proudly exclaim they are for Lane Reversal for Hurricane Evacuation and link to a video demonstrating a drill conducted in 2008 showing their intended use.

VDOT Lane Reversal Exercise Video

Granted, the D.O.T. is a government agency that depends upon both Federal and State funding to do it's job, but I can't imagine them doing anything nefarious or suspicious. For the fact that you don't see these gates installed anywhere else in the United States other than in the Hurricane Corridor, it makes it difficult to believe that it is part of a Nationwide Initiative to enforce Martial Law.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
They have similar gates on I-94 in southeast Wisconsin, they are used for closing off sections of the highway when one of the frequent nasty wrecks happen. (I-94 is the main route between Chicago and Milwaukee).

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hi Jack! Just thought I'd chime in since I live in Richmond. Anything local going on send me a u2u. I have seen TONS of helicopter (military) traffic over my house lately. most headed northbound - seastallions, chinooks, etc. I haven't seen this many choppers since the Queen came to town.

top topics

join