It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Antenna in the Passport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
There are some discussions about the RFID chip and biometric passport but i havent seen many talking and gossip about the antenna in the new passports..
I recently had a discussion with a friend and he said that his "old" passport had an antenna [i think it was the new one but his had a crack on it] and that it was about 4/5 meters long.He cut the passport open with a scissor..The old passports already had some sort of a spiral/circle of iron or some sort of material but i dont think those already had an antenna..Still though whats the idea? to scan your biometric chip from a couple of meters when going through customs authorities or is it already a gps mark to track citizens from a fast distance?
We already know that its impossible to go to the US without the "new" passport, maybe only with a visa

www.davidicke.com...

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Foppezao]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. . . . can you say "microwave oven?"

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
1) The passport is not a GPS. That would be impossible, as it has no power source and therefore could not broadcast its position.

2) The passport contains a RFID chip. This is (arguably) an anti-counterfeiting measure, because although it is easy to spoof a RFID chip, using a device which scans the chip, and then transmits the same signal the chip would when it detects a RFID reader, it is too complicated to manufacture a custom RFID chip that would fit inside a counterfeit passport.

3) RFID is an effective way to increase the security of conventional documents and magnetic-stripe cards, but is not secure on its own. A system based on say, turnstile like devices with readers in them could be easily tricked with a pocket-sized electronic device.

4) You can destroy the RFID chip by cutting the antenna or crushing the chip. You can also microwave it, but it will visibly damage your passport. I suggest simply keeping your passport in a RFID-blocking jacket (The government now recommends this, by the way) and not using it except when explicitly required. There are more important battles to be fought.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I just got my first passport today, and just out of curiosity I tossed it in the microwave...after 5 seconds was this huge white burst of electricity!! Holy S*@t...what did I just do??

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
There is plenty of energy floating around. From radio waves to cell phone towers putting out energy. There is enough energy that could be captured in order for a very small device to run. That would include a micro transmitter.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by cloakndagger

you can now see on the back of the passport a 2" x 4" rectangle outline that has melted. seems to be in between the layer of the back of the passport.

new topics

top topics

join