It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS IS TOO SLOW. thanks to advertisers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
ATS has been lightning fast for me , and I have a rather slow connection(a lil less than 1 MB) and the adds dont seem to be an issue at all . Have you tryed running Ccleaner ? Its free and very good.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Never found ATS to be slow, in fact it loads and displays extremely quickly for me and I have a fairly cr*ppy machine.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

it's ads.doubleclick.net (by far the worst offender), or quantserve.com etc.

My anti-spyware detector lights up like a Christmas tree when I'm on ATS because of the doubleclick.net adds. Sometimes my anti-virus also lights up.
ATS is the only place this happens.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Some clarification...

We've designed our site such that our content should load independent of the advertising in nearly all browsers. All ads are displayed via an "inline frame" which helps on two fronts -- 1) the page is not slowed down by slow ads, and 2) content-specific quantification of ATS visitors by the ad networks is exceptionally difficult.

The ads are (currently) or only source of revenue for maintaining and growing ATS. Disabling our ads (or advocating the disabling of ads) is indeed against the terms and conditions... do you rip all the ads out of magazines or newspapers before you read them?

The "edge.quantserve.com" JavaScipt on every page is not an ad, nor does Quantcast/Quantserve deliver ads. It's a traffic ranking service similar to Alexa, that attempts to accurately rank the popularity of all websites.

If you believe the ads are slowing down ATS pages, your best bet is one of two things:
1) restart your browser -- sometimes very-long browser sessions can significantly slow-down content rich sites like ATS.
2) upgrade your browser -- older browsers sometimes can still be slowed-down by the content within inline frames.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I use Chrome (least amount of baggage) and only have windows defender protecting me. I have never had a speed issue or any other issue with ATS and I am logged on 24/7.

Too much of a good thing will make it bad is my fav saying to my kids. Too much protection and it will become the problem.

[edit on 3/9/09 by Rhain]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
do you rip all the ads out of magazines or newspapers before you read them?

it's more easy than that :

no tv, no newspapers, no ads

no problem

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Actually I believe the advertisements don't require you to click on them for the site to have an income. You just need to SEE the ads, aka, they just need to be posted on the page.

99% sure about that.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by theuhstuf

Don't bother, its faster if you leave them enabled.

ATS needs advertising to stay afloat but if I get to some mythical level of internet time-wasting, then I get to see it without ads? So to stay afloat ATS doesn't need to serve ads to the people using the site the most? Then you know what, one more person using an ad-blocker ain't going to matter.

Congratulations, ATS on having yet another schizophrenic user policy which few will bother reading and fewer still will bother following.

Jon

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by nerbot

Actually I believe the advertisements don't require you to click on them for the site to have an income.

It depends, there are pay-per-click advertisers and pay-per-impression. You get more from pay-per-click (like a buck or two a click) but you will only get one or two clicks out of ten thousand views. On there hand, PPI makes you money each display but it is in the range of tenths of a penny per viewing.

On a site like ATS, I imagine they mostly use the PPI model because of their large hit-rate.

Jon

EDIT: tens = tenths

[edit on 9.3.2009 by Voxel]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Actually, here's something else that might help people:

If you reach a certain number of page views in one day (not sure what the number is, probably equal to a couple/few hours of browsing) you stop seeing ads for the day.

I don't know if that helps at all...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Voxel

Congratulations, ATS on having yet another schizophrenic user policy which few will bother reading and fewer still will bother following.

Jon

I'm just curious. Do you write an angry letter to each and every company that advertise and/or make an income from advertising - be it on a billboard, Google, the newspaper, the radio, CNN?

Here's a good idea. Let's take away all ads on ATS, and charge the members a monthly fee to keep the servers up and running. God forbid we get something for free.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
I still think you should be able to purchase the no ad mode in the ATS store.

I am not a mod or anything but frankly if I was I'd be a little P.O ed at Mr Bob for even complaining about it. Advertisers are paying money to ATS, at least I think so, and it allows them to run this great sight. Unless you are a paying member you have no right to complain. Go buy the no ad mode in the ATS store and stop complaining.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

I don't believe there is a "no ad mode" for sale. I can tell you from much experience as a lurker, the ads drop significantly if you register and take the time to log in. Apparently, there's a benchmark you can hit with flags and stars that will eliminate the ads completely.

The site has way more views from people not logged in, primarily due to Google searches and soforth directing eyes here. Those ads are paid for on views and not click-throughs, I'll bet this week's pay.

I don't notice any slowdown issues using Firefox and no ad blocking. And I have yet to experience any virus or malware originating from here, and I virtually never clear cookies. Just me, though. Can't speak for anyone else.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm not seeing any slow down on the main pages but when I click over to the Media & Video page I find it takes sometimes up to a minute to respond after clicking a link there before it leaves that page.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by griftin
I block all ads anyway, I'm not going to click on them so why should I have to see them?

Maybe because denying a place that provides a free to the member service its only source of revenue is at best, rude?

Not to mention from the terms we agree to when registering:

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the website(s).

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I use a custom hosts file that redirects nearly all ad servers to 127.0.0.1. I've been using it long before I registered for ATS. Why should I disable it when I want to browse ATS just to see ads I won't click on?

I don't mean any offense to the owners or anything but that is kind of a ridiculous clause to put in the ToS. Plenty of people use something to block ads and I know not everyone is going to read a ToS before they sign up.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
We have a dedicated thread for any member to complain about ATS.

The ATS Issues Thread

The Site Owners read it every day and answer your concerns. Another way of voicing your complaints and concerns is through the complaint form found in your member centre.

Feel free to use either method to voice your opinion about your experience here at ATS.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join