It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico's Ciudad Juarez is the world's most violent city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

homelandsecuritynewswire.com

With 130 murders for every 100,000 residents per year on average last year, Ciudad Juarez, a manufacturing city of 1.6 million people across from El Paso, Texas, is more violent than any other city in the world.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Ciudad Juarez's rising murder rate, however -- currently at about 250 per month -- appears to put it well ahead of other notorious world crime capitals such as South Africa's Cape Town, Moscow, Baghdad, and Papua New Guinea's capital Port Moresby, according to the Mexican and Foreign Policy studies. In fact, in Ciudad Juarez during the first day of the conference where the Mexican study was presented, eight people were murdered in the city's streets, including a prosecutor, a lawyer, two policewomen, a clown performer and a gardener.

Not sure what to think about this one. Isn't Baghdad or Kabul worse? Apparently not. We sure wouldn't have to drive far to be in the middle of it.

Ciudad Juarez, a manufacturing city across from El Paso, Texas, already has a stained history with the unsolved murders of hundreds of young women in the 1990s. Perhaps most worryingly is not that 10,000 troops and elite police stationed there have failed to stop the drug violence, but that local officials say they have everything under control.

Typical story from the 'authorities' 'nothing to see here...move along.'

Seems like somebody ought to be able to do something....if they really WANTED to...

homelandsecuritynewswire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Even with that terrible statistic, Any weekend night the tourist are in the bars and restaurants and whorehouses. College kids, Military, working men and even couples looking to party with cheap booze.

Tourism is down because of the violence but the Mercado still happens.

When I'm down south, I still cross the border for some enchiladas and Cruz Blanca.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The commanding general of Ft. Bliss, TX, located in El Paso put Juarez off limits for soldiers. There is surely a very good reason for that. The statistics we saw in OP. I was stationed at Ft. Bliss 1983-85. Even then, though the legal age for alcohol purchasing and consumption was 21, on post, the age was 18 and Sunday sales were authorized. All to encourage soldiers to remain in Texas, instead of going to Juarez. Jeeze, even back then, the numbers of soldiers returning to duty on a Monday morning after a weekend in Juarez, beaten and bruised and broke, was astounding.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Perhaps why Juarez seems to be the worlds most violent city is because records are kept. I would bet green money that their are places along the Pakistan/Afghanistan border that make Juarez look like a Sunday school picnic.

Statistics pfft......

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Perhaps why Juarez seems to be the worlds most violent city is because records are kept. I would bet green money that their are places along the Pakistan/Afghanistan border that make Juarez look like a Sunday school picnic.

Statistics pfft......

hehe...We don't need no stinkin' statistics.

I was wondering the same thing, but I don't know if it's just propaganda and perceptions, or reality... someone wanna go on a road trip?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Seems like somebody ought to be able to do something....if they really WANTED to...

They could. End the War on Drugs. As Gore Vidal said it's a war on a metaphor. A huge portion of the crime is because of the U.S. war on drugs and it's a futile effort to try and stop it. It wastes the U.S. money and screws up other countries. All this effort to make to try and stop people from smoking a joint or whatever is ridiculous. If people want to get high they will inhale glue or drink drain cleaner. It won't stop because the Gov say "Just say no".

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I'll go! When I was an undergrad at WNMU the campus was deserted on weekends because everyone was either in Juarez or Palomas. Or on a long holiday, Puerto Penasco. It could get pretty rough down there at times. I loved it!! .10 beer .10 tequila

[edit on 2-9-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

you know without the taliban, and alquieda. the people out there are not bad people . and are generally helpful . apparently

[edit on 2-9-2009 by MR BOB]

top topics

join