It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8yr old Prodigy Blues Guitar Kid - Silenced by State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I don't know if this is the forum where this belongs but it is related to political issues.

What is the world coming to. A kid turns out to be a magnificent guitar player, joins a band which is where he belongs and wants to be, and then he gets screwed by government statutes and complaints...

He is in a state that allows him (an 8 year old kid) to drink when is parents are with him in a bar, but the second he picks up his guitar it's child endangerment???

WTF!

[edit on 2-9-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
So whats the difference between this and a child actor/actress? Let the kid play, he rocks.

P.S. DaMod, I have sniperkitty hostage!

Don't try anything funny!
-E-

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
By the sounds of things he's only being told that he can't earn money from playing guitar, not that he has to stop playing guitar altogether, so he's not being silenced. He should do it for fun, which, as an 8 year old, is what it should all be about.

He should in the mean time perhaps learn his trade a little better and realize that he doesn't need to pull those ridiculous faces every time he plays a solo.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
So whats the difference between this and a child actor/actress?

Hollywood.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Irma

He wants to play in a band. I don't blame him. Plus an 8 year old with talent, ensemble experience would do him good.

They are stunting his musicianship!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by MysterE
So whats the difference between this and a child actor/actress?
-E-

The venue. Nobody's saying he can't play. He can play at fairs, festivals etc., he just isn't allowed to work in an establishment that serves alcohol. I know, apparently if he had a beer there and the parents were with him that would be okay. That amazes me. I had no idea that would be legal anywhere in the US.

The difference there is that in one instance, he's working, in the other he isn't. These are labor laws preventing it, not drinking laws. This is always what happens with any kind of legislation. There are unforeseen circumstances and unintended consequences. Most every law that gets passed for someone's "protection" ends up trampling on someone else's freedom.

I'm about ready to suggest we change the name of the statue in New York Harbor to the Statue of Limitations.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Oh noes not my sniper kitty!

LITTLE DO YOU KNOW HE DOES KUNG FU! WATCHA!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I wonder if people would be forcing this issue if it was a piano or accordion that he was playing... Poor kid. It doesn't seem right, but it's the law...

I think he should continue to play and the band should hire his father as a consultant or something and pay the kid's wages to his dad...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I agree with you. We need a more enlightened view of how to handle children who are ready and able to participate in the adult world. After all, what's the whole purpose of growing up? To learn how to behave or to learn how to contribute something valuable to society?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Interesting, he was also kicked off America's Got Talent this year and was one of the better acts:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The law's the law and the state has no choice but to enforce it. It seems to me that this law was not written for prodigies, but simply to protect young people from exploitation and bad influences.

I would think that the parents should seek to change the law and for that I think their legislators might be willing to craft a law that both allows children to perform and also protects them.

What is really of note in that report is what was barely mentioned and that is the death threat that the parents received regarding their child.

I get the impression that the parents aren't playing with a full deck.

Oh, and everyone knows that you can't play the blues without making faces.

[edit on 2009/9/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
He isnt a prodigy,sounds just right for the 4 years he has put into it-I wouldnt want to see him play in a club to be honest at the moment but he could be a monster player from his teens onwards.
Once he gets bigger stronger and can add some musical vibrato to his stock blues licks he will watchable in a club

I think the death threat letters stuff is BS,publicity to get this kid named

Couldnt watch the americas got talent link,there must be a god up there

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I have to comment on this and I genuinely believe my opinion to be extremely relevant.

At the age of 8, my public school wished to place me into College

At the time, current thought in Psychology said that this would be bad for me,that I needed normal social interaction with my peers. My mother opted to keep me in grade despite my protests.

What followed was a nightmare, a portion at least of the other kids always hated me, feared me in a way I guess and equally i did not like many of them, I was under stimulated, I had already gotten HS graduating reading and math scores... there was nothing for me but abuse.

By Jr High I started fighting to defend myself... By Mid HS I dropped out and unable to go home and wanting to be cool, I started drinking and doing drugs...

The only reason I went to college was a perfect score on my GED and 1440 on my Sat's (bear in mind I had not attended a single year of HS to achieve that and was high during both exams) , But there was no scholarship for me, I had to work through the whole thing and I did not stop partying for a minute because that was boring too.

Instead of Princeton or MIT that I had dreamed of as a child I finished a Mid rate party school with a B average (thanks to attendance policies, tests were straight A's) I could have gone when I was 8, I never had to suffer...

It has taken until now in my 30's for me to fully psychologically recover and now I am genuinely getting my life on track.

Studies done of children like this show that Fully 4 in 5 of us who were not advanced and allowed to function at our own level and desires.... Are in and out of prison, on drugs, chronically depressed or simply dead

I have been through all of the above but Death

and for those of you that suggest that you are doing a favor to a child or it's abuse to let them live...

There is NO LIFE for us, without the pursuit, it's a PERFECTIONIST OBSESSED mindset and when you take it away you might as well cut this kids heart straight out

He can NOT HELP what he is and he HAS to perform, it's not a Want, it's a NEED like air or water... To strip him of it is to kill him inside and it's like loosing a child or your parents, it's traumatic and awful and evil and I had it done to me.

I never had a relationship again with my mother for her making that choice for me.

The "PEERS" of whom 90% never could even fathom me... I'm lucky I had the self control that I never murdered one of them out of rage and in time came to terms with my emotions and learned to love and accept those that could never love or accept me for who I was.

We live in a nation of "no child left behind" so that the whole class moves at the pace of the stupidest child. It's an abomination and the reason we have become a Nation of Morons

Abuse?

This child is being abused by people who never Can nor Ever will even begin to fathom who he is or what he can do... or what anguish and pain they are actually going to put him in...

He belongs to be playing? He doesn't want to play... lol I wanted to play... with rocket ships when i was his age, with an electron microscope maybe...

What is PLAY to this child, can you act as if you know?

This is intensely painful hearing what this child is about to be put through... it's wrong, it's inhumane, it's torture... it's worse than water boarding can ever be, water boarding wont last 30 years...

I don't say this as any brag, it was painful... and in the end, it is almost like a form of mental illness because you can't control the desire to learn and use your gift... and you can't make it go away ever, no matter how hard you try.

Let's start with a Photographic memory,this child obviously has it for music but there is no way to tell exactly how far it goes...

For me it's expressed in a photographic visual memory, I retain everything I see as a picture like a video replay...

Imagine that? Yes it's wonderful for the good things, but what about the insults, the hurt, the pain, the mean things the traumatic moments. Can you imagine what that is like? to lay down at night and something some kid said in 3rd grade is there in full color, vocal and emotion like it happened that moment?

Do you think I should have had to go through adolescence among other CHILDREN? That this child should?

They are busy hindering this poor child

But what HELP is there for him?

Who's going to teach him how to handle this? It took me 20 years to get it sort of right, many of these kids they tracked since I was a child NEVER DO

What a loss to the world...

Imagine they did this to Einstein or Mozart, this story is a story of tragedy for this child. Tragedy for us all.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
And if anyone doubts the horror of what is happening to our brilliant children or any aspect of what i say, if you want proof.

Then I make this Challenge to you.

Spend time with the homeless!!!!

I assure you within a short period of time you will inevitably encounter a brilliant mind... many homeless are legitimately insane and that is reality, but if you pay attention and listen, among the bums in any city in America you will find Brilliance.

This is the reality of what we are doing to our prodigies, to our hope..

and it begins like this for every one of them.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

That's a heart rending and tragic story, it really is. You have my sympathy. No one should ever have to go through that.

The difference I see here is that no one is stopping this boy form doing anything significant. He can play his fingers off, he just can't do it professionally in a bar. There are any number of child musical prodigies out there who are successfully and happily advancing without the ability to perform in front of an audience in a bar. Were Yo-Yo Ma's talents diminished because he couldn't advance his craft in some boozy, smoke filled New York tavern?

Given that the kid could legally drink with his parents in Wisconsin bar, it seems stupid. One of those stupid law anomalies you read about, like it's unlawful to walk a fish on a leash on Tuesdays in Duluth, or something. But to classify it as somehow damaging this kid to not let him play in a bar is, to me, a little overboard.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

join