It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Arnold has gone mad.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Ok, so i have no idea where this thread is supposed to be, so if anyone wants to move it for me, please do. thanks in advance.
Anyhow,
So my brother comes to my room in a frenzy telling me that Gov. Schwarzenegger is thinking about California releasing some thousands of prisoners in prison to save money. Can you imagine that??! Prisoners running amok killing and stealing--something we're trying to prevent!! Is the economy that bad, or please tell me that this is false. Literally, thousands of criminals on the streets. It makes me shudder. I can almost see the child abduction crimes shooting sky high
Cant we.....(gosh do i sound like the humanitarian) just put them all to death penalty...or put them in a secluded island or something? Goodness, i gave family members to worry about.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
27,000 to be exact I seen this yesterday on cnn.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The U.S. has the highest prisoner/population ratio in the world and its costing way too much. Arnold knows what he's doing.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I highly doubt they will be releasing child molesters and murderers. They will most likely release people being held on minor drug charges and other insignificant offenses that we like to jail people for.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yes its true and let's hope most of those released are nonviolent drug offenders. But with CA you never know what you're going to get. But to the OPer............relax it's not that big of deal. If they release 27K prisoners I'm sure all of them will find jobs and will never resort to crime or drugs again.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If this has to do with paying to keep these people in prison, than they should probably ask concerned citizens for donations and volunteers to keep them there and or give them jobs.

I've also wondered if the State of California was to offer people tax breaks on such things as property taxes paid a year or two in advance as if similar to a higher earned interest rate, that maybe they'd jump at it to help bail out the state.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I hope he picks murders and rapist myself!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
They should all be released and put into training programs. Or put into compulsory jobs no-one else wants to do.

Works well in China.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
We have way too may people rotting in prison for minor drug & property crimes, so I am all for this.

Keep the rapists & murderers locked up, there are better ways to deal with minor offenses than imprisonment - which is #1 very expensive, and #2 turns harmless offenders into hardcore criminals by locking them up with them.

If the prison industry cries & moans because they're losing some of their free access to taxpayer cash, all the better.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Felons have a hard enough time getting jobs in a good economy.

They have no chance in this economy, they will resort to what put them into prison to make money, ie drugs and stealing.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
my friend katie has been to jail a bunch of times. all for curfew restrictions from her probation.

its pathetic really.

half those people shouldnt be in there.

half the people outside prison should be in there, especially if they drive minivans with handicapped plates. they are all potential murderers in disguise if you ask me.

seriously, why can you go to jail for 6 months for not being at home at 9 o clock??

yeah they wont be releasing murderers, that is political (and real world) suicide.

edit: also, why dont old people with prescriptions get pulled over for DUI????

[edit on 9/2/2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Debsturrs

What are you worried about.

Arent all prisoners in california celebrities??

jk

On a serious note, not a great idea in my opinion with serious crime but if there are people in jail for petty crime then I dont see a major problem with it.

Need more information on that though for me to say.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I believe the plan is for the early release of NON-VIOLENT criminals. These are people convicted of nothing more than Felony Drug Possession, or Felony Identity Theft. Basically, they will be letting lose a bunch of Pot-Smokers with Fake Ids.

The fact of the matter is that the California prison population has increased by 73 percent since 1990, nearly three times faster than the population growth of the State.

30% are in prison for Drug-related Non-Violent Crimes and 36% are in prison for Non-Violent Property Crimes.

When California enacted Proposition 36 in 2000 this reduced the number of Drug-related Non-Violent criminals who were incarcerated, deferring them to Treatment instead, but it didn't release criminals previously convicted of Non-Violent Drug-related crimes.

What Ahnold is doing is basically letting those free who if arrested today for the same crime, would not have gotten Prison sentences.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Hmm, i actually never thought of this. Usually i associate prison with rapists, and murderers. Well, if they're only releasing minor drug users then i think i can be ok with that..

link   
I once wrote a sort of goof thread asking if Arnold could be the antichrist...

With that said

THIS IS THE SMARTEST THING HE HAS EVER DONE

I mean, give me a break, if you aren't hospitalizing people, raping or killing or molesting people prison is the dumbest idea ever invented in human history.

1: It's crime school 101

2: It's crime social networking 101

3: It costs 10 x what most crimes cost society

4: We pay for it

5: It funds a police state to exists with no benefits but rather harm

6: Myself like most of you happen to be a misdemeanor kind of guy

If I got caught for minor infractions of living my life i'd be in jail weekly through most of my life, everything from unpaid tickets, to minor drug offenses, to jay walking, even minor altercations

No one needs to go to jail for 40 G a year, for forgetting a parking ticket 6 or 7 times or smoking a roach in public or crossing the street wrong or a push and shove outside a bar at night or graffiti or shop lifting

fines are damage enough to your life in an age of computers whee they can hit your credit.

some kid does 800 worth of damage with a spray can he should cost 40 G to taxpayers?

Some broke guy steals a chicken he needs 1 of 3 strikes in that state...

No way...

Good for arnold...

The best was once watching a pursuit from San Diego to LA, some guy had stolen a truck...

AN INSURED VEHICLE

with road closed for pursuit, helicopters deployed, a 30 car chase that endangered LIVES

they got him finally

7 years in jail

cost 280,000 to keep him

cost of pursuit 1.2 million dollars to state

for a 12,000 INSURED VEHICLE

Arnold does know exactly what he is doing....

Snap the guys photo from a street cam and track him and when he gets out send him his court date and make him pay for the truck lol

complete criminal justice system utterly out of control...

INSANE

Go Arnold

link   
I always find it confusing that we accept that there is no difference between "cost" and "price".

We PAY too much to keep prisoners. I think it is unreasonable to assume that means it COSTS too much.

Nevertheless, I think our per-capita prison population is a bit of an embarrassment considering our constant stream of propaganda indoctrinating all of us and our future generations, that such matters are to be entrusted to a government that is not much more than an extension of the corporate opportunists who control it.

I suppose the fact that non-violent prisoners will be released shows at least SOME degree of forethought in this latest desperate attempt to reign in the growth of government as a feeding ground for the robber barons of the 21st century.

I also suppose the law-enforcement industry will make great profit re-arresting and persecuting these 'former' prisoners.

EDIT TO ADD: I wonder if the so-called FEMA internment camps may not have been part of some plan involving the relocation of hundreds of thousands of 'prisoners'.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I may be a little bit out of the box here, but I personally like the idea of an "escape from LA" scenario in where they cordon off a section of land big enough to support prisoners from all over the states and just let them go inside a big wall.

There might be some opposition to this idea in a couple ways:

1. How will they survive? There will be a minimal staff inside to teach farming techniques and other survival related things such as building housing from the land.

2. What about them getting out? Of course it would be walled off just like in the movie and they would be allowed free roam of the territory which would probably cut back on at least some of the violent tendancies as they are not bottled up and can step back from each other and form their own communities.

3. What cost would it inflict upon the country? Just enough to build the wall and guard the outside.

Of course non-violent offenders can be let loose as everyone else suggested, this would release the monetary strain the current system has put on our country. Realistically, if they want to be violent animals and kill each other over stupid gang rules and "territory". Let them do it with sticks and stones in an area where they are just thinning their own ranks, cannot influence the outside world or lower level "criminals" to become more dangerous than they really are, and they are only lessening the burden to society that they have become.

I for one like the idea of it all, and the low level drug offenders can be monitored by the local police like they already are at no additional expense.

It would save millions in the end. Might not be as "ethically correct" or "morally acceptable" as most people would like it to be, but in the end, why not keep a wild animal in the wild where nature's life cycle can take it's course? They can just do it without a gun and harming innocent bystanders.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Who will put out the fires ?

Is`nt prison labour currently used to bolster the fire services. Prisoners earn $1 a day and a reduction of their sentences if i am correct..

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Will the "Bloods" and the "Crips" have their company vans waiting at the exits to pick up the reinforcements?

Just axen!

Becker

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
They go from the least violent to the most.

Im sure the child murders will go last.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join