It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pagan's Corner

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
OK, let me start with this:

What this thread is: A place for Pagan members to come together and share books, traditions, beliefs, rituals, etc. Also a place for those interested in the subject to come, gather information and ask questions.

What this thread is not: A place for those of other faiths to come and bash Pagans, Paganism or the validity of such beliefs.

I ask, no BEG the Moderators to assist in this endevour and keep this thread on topic. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

So, I'll go first. I consider myself a Wiccan, and part time Witch. These are my labels, and mine alone. I believe that the Divine (I don't use the term 'God' due to all the baggage that comes with it) can be found everywhere, and is in fact the Universe Itself. While I do believe in the dual nature of the Divine, being both masculine and feminine, and yet neither at the same time, I don't really get into God and Goddess worship, but instead worship The One as a whole.

I'm not much into ritual or ritualistic tools. I found that it actually distracted me in my workings. I only use Majick on rare occasions when all other mundane avenues have been exhausted, which is not often.

I consider myself to be a Nocturnal Witch, as I have always been more at home at night. (I hate mornings! Never have been a 'Day' person!) I have the gift of clairsentience, but not in the "Uncle Charlie says 'Hi'" way, but more along the lines of receiving messages concerning questions I have. I have two spirit guides. One is my mother who crossed over in 1976. The other is a native american who calls himself White Feather (tells me that I could not pronounce his name in his native tongue), but have receive messages from others as well.

I try to meditate at least three times a day, but sometimes mundane life gets in the way of accomplishing that goal. I learned transcendental meditation in the 80's.

Books I suggest and recommend:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft: A good starting place for the beginner, and a good reference for us more seasoned practioners.

Nocturnal Witchcraft: Majick after Dark: For those who wish to explore the Nocturnal Path.

Gothic Grimoire: The companion peice to the above book.

Speak with the Dead: Seven Methods for Spirit Communication: For those interested in afterlife communication.

Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner: A good book for those practicing a solitary path.

I'll leave it at that for now, but other authors I recommend would be Silver RavenWolf, other works of Scott Cunningham, and Gary Cantrell.

Enough about me! What about you!

Harm none,
Jax

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hi Jaxon, merry meet & all that...
I used to describe myself as Wiccan but I've become a bit uncomfortable with the label in the last decade. Its not just the silliness that seems to have burgeoned, especially online, but my beliefs have diverged a bit. I've never been that comfortable with "witch" either, but use it in describing myself to interested parties because some Pagans aren't into magick & I am. IDK: wizard, warlock, mage? All sound a bit FRPG to me.
I think my main divergance is with the rede. Not that I go around cursing people, nor would I want to, but I've come to a new understanding of Crowley's "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." Prima facae, the ultimate selfishness &, given some of the man's exploites, perhaps so. Still, I'm starting to look on it as a challenge to know myself, to be able to determine just what my true will is. It seems to me that, whether its in ordinary life or during a working, whatever I'm telling myself is the reason for what I'm doing, whatever outcome I'm consciously hoping for, the reality is that my partly unconscious needs & wants are @ least as important in determining what happens as my deliberate intention.
So, whilst I consciously dont want to harm, I think that "the beast" in me really couldn't care less, so long as it gets its needs met. Well, I accept & even revel in my body as the vehicle for this life I've got, but I cant have it dictating policy, you know?
Off the top of my head wicca magickal beginnings by Sorita d'Este & David Rankine helped me put some of this modern take on the craft into perspective. For even broader perspective, The Golden Bough by Sir James Frazer, is an incredible compendium. The link is a free download. Its a lot of text mind!
So Jaxon, how does your clairsentience work? Are you fully conscious & able to hold a conversation with spirits?
For me, its all about dreams (astral? IDK).

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

I can understand the whole 'label' problem. I guess if I were to give myself a label that I can live with, it would be 'Humble Human seeker of Cosmic Divine Knowledge'. I don't really fit into any other of the 'common' labels. As to the 'Harm none' portion, it has been a part of my 'moral' compass since long before Paganism.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
For those who don't know, I'm a Gardnarian High Priestess. I've also studied history excessively and modern sects such as Cabot craft. I have studied under a High Priest, Druid, and Skola and I have friendships with a few popular authors of Pagan books.

I have links to a few covens in the Northeast USA, although I practice solitarily. I now consider myself an Atheist, even though my Pagan background keeps my close to the Earth as my Goddess (which is true, in my opinion, in a very scientific way.)

So hi. My specialties (lol) are herbalism, divination, flora and fauna. I'm also very into food, in a spiritual way.

I stepped out of the hierarchy of modern "Wicca" in favor of traditional Paganism because once I climbed up the pyramid a bit, I realized that so much of it was filler for things that anyone can do just as well as another, it's all about terminology and personal preference.

So that's where I am now. I love helping others and answering any questions that anyone might have.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation:Flagged!

Personal Disclosure: I'm just seeking some clarification from the OP as to whether this thread is for Neo-Pagans/wiccans only or is it open to all Pagans?

Edited explanation to remove starred reference [would if I could!
]

[edit on 2-9-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

As to the 'Harm none' portion, it has been a part of my 'moral' compass since long before Paganism
Yeah, me too, in a way. I started to get intrigued by paganism in my mid-teens tho (about '84) & so I'm not really able to claim to have had a fully functional moral compass before. Well, not 1 of my own, if you see what I mean. I just went by "do unto others as you'd be done by" without the Christianity, but also without having thought it out for myself.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I believe it is open to all Pagans.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

All Pagans are welcome! Come on in! Just don't go skyclad in the jacuzzi!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Disclaimer: As above!

Explanation: Thanks and for your prompt reply! [I'm aware that your not the OP but thats OK!]

Personal Disclosure: I'll press on then and say a big
to all the pagans out there [whatever your particular sub-demographic is].

Edited to add thanks also to the OP for confirming that for me!

P.S. I can muse [only IMO
] on ancient greek theology if anybody is interested.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hi Jaxon....fab idea for a thread, and a great booklist. Nocturnal Magic is one of my favourites, and I also struggle with the whole morning issue. I wonder how many pagans do? At it's extreme, it's a recognised disorder.

Anyway, as for definition, as far as it goes, I'm a traditional solitary, which a very strong connection to the Fae. Nuff said about that I think.

I'm having a day on the sofa today...it's pouring...and I mean pouring...with rain outside and words are a bit thin on the ground. Will be back later, but I wanted just to say hi.

Blessed be...

Cait x

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Just stopping by to say hello and blessed be.

My label is generic pagan.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I consider myself Wiccan but my husband considers himself Pagan. After years of study and experimenting with groups and covens we are just solitary. We believe that we come from the stars and call the Royal Watchers of the Heavens when we call quarters. They are four stars and the ancient Persians gave them that name.
We believe the four elements are water, air, earth, and electricity (lightening, and fire is its gift to us)
We celebrate the Sabbats as solar (God or male energy) and the Esbats as Lunar (Goddess or female energy).
Thats good for starters I think?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Post removed.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by lukaron]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Merry meet to all!

Hello.

I would first like to say that I am not a Wiccan by any means, at least not yet. I grew up having abilities I didn't understand at all. I could sense presences, see people's emotions, had dreams that came true, etc. So eventually, after they really kicked in back in 2000, I turned to studying the one path that seemed to not look upon these things as 'evil' or 'unnatural' - Witchcraft.

From that time, I literally would go out every payday and buy a stack of new books. I've read tons of material and am currently finishing up Raymond Buckland's Complete Guide to Witchcraft and have just started Raven Digitalis' Shadow Magick Compendium.

On top of that - I subscribed to and am currently undergoing studies at www.greyschool.com

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of that place or not - but it is run by Oberon Zell-Raveheart and a litany of other witches and wizards. The site attempts to appeal to age groups ranging from 11 on up to people in their 70s, so some of the earlier 'classes' have been interesting to say the least, but it is very informative and so far, it has helped me gain insight into the path I want to follow. That of a 'wizard', as it were.

I don't know if there currently are people who consider themselves to be as such, but it seems right to me.

I look forward to meeting and seeing other members of the Craft on here and look forward to any and all insight that you can provide.

Blessed be!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Hi Jaxon Roberts and everyone,

Starting this thread seems like a very good idea and so far, so good.

It is interesting to read everyone's take on the subject and even more interesting to discover the many paths that can and are taken to reach that personal understanding I believe we search for.

I'm not giving myself a label because I wouldn't know which one fits. I'm extremely drawn to Gaia and Wizardry. Being a late bloomer I feel a sense of urgency in catching up on all the knowledge I could have been feeding myself all these years. In doing so, I get overwhelmed at times, back away and take a break.

The stumbling block for me, I guess, is God/Goddess/Deity/Lord/Lady.

Its my understanding that, over time with the strong desire to know, Deity will reveal itself to me. If it has I've missed it or overthought it, or something. I can't get a "visual" of God, nor develop a relationship with a personality I can't envision clearly.

Earth Mother feels the most comfortable to me and appropriate. So often I think of God as Mother Earth or Gaia.

I once had a gifted fellow attempt to clear my blockage by toning into my spirit to release unknown negativity from my being. It was a bizarre experience. He (or his guide) said that I have a "key" related to the energy of Inana. So I looked up Inana and discovered the Sumerian story (Stitchin).

Ok, enough for now about me. As you can probably tell, I'm not very clear in my path.

I love meeting all of you and reading your perspective. Thanks again Jaxon, great idea!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Hello Jaxon and all -

I found this thread due to being very impressed with Jaxon's writing in another thread, and I followed the link in his or her sig.

And a wondrous find it is.

I guess Pagan is as good a term as any for my beliefs, I also am uncomfortable with labels... and rituals and human teachers... that just seems to not be my path at present. To those of you for whom these are your paths, my greetings especially. I mean no offense nor attack.

I have done some reading of the Wiccan way, and my niece is a practicing Wiccan and I've had some good talks with her.

I was raised in the Judeo-Christian mythos, and that is not for me, either...

What I have found, for me, is that having a set of rituals or prescribed beliefs gets in my way of learning from each experience as it comes. Without these, I feel freer, able to experience more in each moment. Even though I still have a long way to go to be truly free of previous influences!

I live by the fundamental philosophy that I've seen expressed as "an ye harm none, do as ye please". That feels right.

I am Rebellious Honor.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

It's... wait, let me check... yep, it's an 'outee'... so it's 'he', not 'she'! LOL! I'm happy to see such a turnout for this thread. It's been very enlightening and I look forward to reading more!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Hey hey

as always good to see you Jaxon, caitlin and raven dear :-p

Well I am a Pagan and working on Wicca studies. I worship and follow Isis

hell of a thread...mine fizzled a while ago so it is so nice to see it again.

Anyone have good occult merchandise sites?

-Kyo

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
While I have the Pagan Community in one thread, has anyone else ever noticed this? Me thinks that Ted Turner may be one of us! It would explain how he turned a local UHF station into a media giant!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Azure Green is probably the best site for merch. They are a major supplier to the occult and new age brick and mortars ( I know, we used to have one). Like a general store. If you like sculpture and altar peices and very very nice jewelry, Dryad Designs. And Pryamid has very cool clothing. Just my two pennies!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join