It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pfizer to pay record $2.3 billion penalty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Pfizer to pay record $2.3 billion penalty

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - Pfizer Inc., the world’s largest drug maker, will pay a record $2.3 billion civil and criminal penalty over unlawful prescription-drug promotions.

Announcing the settlement Wednesday, the Justice Department said that it included the largest criminal fine in U.S. history — $1.2 billion. The agreement also included a criminal forfeiture of $105 million.

Authorities called Pfizer a repeat offender, noting it is the fourth such settlement of government charges in the last decade.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
2.3Billion..... WOWSERSS

Now that's a whole lotta money!

Well this is a good thing, I guess nowadays i'm always glad to see glances of accountability here and there.

This is great!

Six corporate whistleblowers who first brought the misconduct to light will share $102 million of the settlement money.

Wait... what?????

$102 million for whistleblowing?

Anyway

Now... what about the doctors that pushed drugs they knew were extremely harmful to health?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
S&F.
It is good to hear some good news. I just wish 2.3 billion was enough to bring them down for good.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Excellent news regarding accountability and all that. Kind of pity it takes insider whisleblowers in order to get us there. On the other hand isn't this just about your money being transferred from one (corporate) pocket to the other ( government ) pocket? I don't for one second expect them ( Big Pharma ) to learn anything from this lesson other than to keep a tighter lid on it in the future.

Kind regards, M.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
WTF?????? Why the hell would they give 6 whistleblowers 102 million dollars? That's ridiculous. Even a million dollars each is excessive. My god. What's wrong with this country and the people running it?

$2.3 billion dollars is a slap on the wrist for Pfizer. They are buying Wyeth for $68 billion. Plus like someone else said there should be some impunity handed down the the doctors and healthcare professionals that benefited from this mess as well as hospitals. But it will be business as usual and the government got their little greedy hands on some money. That's all they wanted. Who cares if real justice is served.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
So, $17 Mil apiece for each whistleblower ? Is this justice ? Is it fair ?

And all I get is an erection lasting more than four hours ? !

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
this is good and bad

who do you think is really paying that lawsuit????

us,,, and struggling americans who already can't afford there medications

i think tv adv of medications need to stop,,,,we all want a quick fix and think ,,,,,wow that pill may solve my problem,,,

i'm personally guilty of seeing an ad on tv and asking my doctor about it,,, and in most cases he willingly prescribes it

a homerun on the part of the drug co,,,, i bought it hook,line and sinker

new topics

top topics

join