It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank Of America Asks Armless Man For Thumbprint

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Related Video 2That's right...no account? need a thumbprint.

Get the manager...

Yup, need a thumbprint.

I have no thumbs!!!!

Bummer...need a thumbprint.
Source

A Florida man was unable to cash a Bank of America check because the bank required a thumbprint, and he had no arms.

WTSP has the story of Steve Valdez, who tried to cash a Bank of America check written by his wife to him. He took the check to a BoA branch, presented two forms of picture ID, and was prevented from cashing the check because he couldn't provide a thumbprint. The manager refused to accommodate Valdez, suggesting that he open an account if he wanted to cash the check.

Additional article

Relasted Video Link

edit add link, fix typo

[edit on 2-9-2009 by imd12c4funn]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

figures...

I fooking hate BOFA, I have been screwed 7 different ways by that place, no surprise.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So much for common sense and common decency!

All I can say is "Wow!"

BoA really has scored points with their Customer Base and potential Customer Base. No wonder they needed a Federal Bail-Out!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Next time I would go down wearing flip flops and slapped my big toe on the table.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Next time I would go down wearing flip flops and slapped my big toe on the table.

LOL!!! then they might pull the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" excuse.

Just my 2-cents

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
we shouldve let em fail, we would be better off without bank of america

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
You have to hand it to this man for getting Bank of America all up in arms. I bet he wished he could have given them the finger on his way out the door.

(Seriously though, am I the only person who finds it a little disturbing that a bank can ask for thumbprints? Even for jobs or positions/residences that require background checks, you go to the sheriff's office to get them done. I've never heard of a private entity demanding fingerprints on site before.)

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'm glad I closed my account with this joke of a bank a while back. With "Customer Service" such as this, this bank needs to fail. I hope this story causes a lot of people to close down their accounts with this bank. Blowback comes in many forms.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
(Seriously though, am I the only person who finds it a little disturbing that a bank can ask for thumbprints? Even for jobs or positions/residences that require background checks, you go to the sheriff's office to get them done. I've never heard of a private entity demanding fingerprints on site before.)

Almost all Financial Institutions require a Thumbprint or Fingerprint to cash a check (even if drawn on that Branch's funds) if you do not have an account with them. This has been the case since it was first introduced by the Bankers Association of Texas in 1994 and has been a universally adopted practice since 1998.

Not saying that this makes it right, just saying that it's been going on for a very long time to the point where it is S.O.P. even if it is S.N.A.F.U.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

You have to hand it to this man for getting Bank of America all up in arms. I bet he wished he could have given them the finger on his way out the door.

Yeah, it's messed up.

Even better than that though, they keep a database of the thumb prints.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
Even better than that though, they keep a database of the thumb prints.

Not yet...currently this practice now is just a "deterrent". Fingerprints on cashed checks have yet to be used to convict anyone of fraud. However, many banks are looking at Biometric Fingerprinting Systems to conduct this practice, which *WILL* utilize a central database.

When you let someone get away with something for 15 years, eventually they get the impression that you have consented that it is okay...and then they ask for a little bit more...until eventually your rights have been violated, all through your silent consent.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
We don't have the fingerprint thing here in Canada.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I hate banks . . . especially BoA.

They charge an arm and a leg for crappy banking . . .or in this case, an arm and an arm.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

You have to hand it to this man for getting Bank of America all up in arms.

Oh no you didn't.

I can't not read it.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I know all you sensitive ATSers will flame me for this but... why doesn't he just open a freaking account? They were just doing their job of making an account secure.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Why do you think people go crazy and enter these banks fully armed demanding the teller hand over the cash.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey
we shouldve let em fail, we would be better off without bank of america

It wasn't up to us....remember......

the gov bailed them out

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Just another example of how stupidity is going to lead to a system wide failure.

I celebrate this story

seriously I do.

The sooner it all falls apart, the a sooner we will be free from this madness...

Faster it comes the better.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PontiacWarrior

Not only would that be coercing him to open an account he doesn't want, but if you can't honor a check drawn on your bank, there is a serious problem.

Once I went onto a bank and wanted to cash a cashiers check drawn on the bank I entered and I didn't have an account there, and it was fairly large, so I asked if I could get some cash and the remainder back on a cashiers check.

I was told that would be fine, but there is a seven dollar charge to draw another cashiers check.

I really didn't want to carry that much, but when they said that, I countered, "Oh...it's seven dollars? I'll just take the cash then."

Soon enough, they waived the fee. I know now-a-days you have to "pre-order" extra cash for large withdrawls and wait for the cash to get there, usually the following day.

One other time, at another famous bank, a cashier must have brought swome baggage from home and spoke in a harshm condescending manner and had an additude like it was a bother to be pleasant and courtious to the customer. It really was bad, and I really tool issue with her negative and smart-assed demeaner, so I finally interrupted her ranting, (I had an issue with a minor account going negative and fees attached, due to a bounced check that was not returned for 23 days.), and
I said, "you know what? I would like to just close my accounts. She acted as if it gave her an orgasm to close out my meager negative accoun....

Wait....I said, I would like just one cashiers check for all my accounts.
When she accessed my other accounts, she never did utter another sound...

I can tell you this much. When I walked out with that check, I felt confident that this would be her last day.

I think any branch manager that doesn't have the cajones to make a judgement call regarding the double amputee, should be cast out along with the brainwashed underling tellers that spoke policy unwaiveringly over the obvious disservice that manifest as the armless man stood, I'm quite sure, in disbelief.

BoA has done me one so, I might as well not leave this out.

I started a checking account there because my bank has limited branch locations. The first time I used the check card, it was all good.

The3 second time, on a Sunday, I was going to a relativesgrave site and went to purchase flowers, but the card didn't work. I had to wait until Monday to call them because they aren't open Sunday afternoons.

It turns out they put a "security hold" on my card because I purchased gas with it.
I'm like.."huh?" And was told that lots of stolen cards are used for gas. I said ok..well it's not stolen and I did buy gas, so is it going to work now?

I was then told, I would have to verify my last three purchases with the card. I only used it once....

I said, "look, I called because it didn't work yesterday and because I was hours from home,, I couldn't get the flowers I wanted to leave at a grave, and that was inconvenient. Now, you want information that doesn't exist, and even if it had, I gave my authorised info to verify it is me you are speaking with, and I told you the card is not stolen, I used it for gas so, why would I need to verify to them any last purchases when I gave personal password and SS# to verify it is I. I told you that I have the card, and there is no problem, except them putting a hold on.

I felt like If they confirmed my ID by answering the info, why do I need to tell them where I used a card? What business or concern is it to them? I am not applying for credit...I am using my monies."

It's like they messed with me and then even when they know there is no problem, to inquire about my purchases seemed like sticking their noses up the dark side and I just kept asking, Why do they need to get all up in my business when I confirmed there was no unauthorized card use, and they should not be arbitrarily shutting off access to customers funds on a whim...
I just cdouldn't believe it. Turn the card on and get out of monitoring my useage. If I lost the thing I'd call. Just another way they can mess with cash that isn't theirs. I can't tell you how much it ticked me off. Since then, I leave minimal in the account (usually 50 cents), since that Sunday,

I can't rely on that plastic debit they can't keep their noses and arbitrary account manipulation out of.

I will not be stranded due to relying on a card that may be shut off at a whim as if by doing that is "looking out for me"...
I already got a year waiver on fees, so why leave money in the account that may not be accessible?

BoA is definitely one if the high-profile turds of banking business.

As matter of fact, wouldn't that be considered a hate crime these days? Making an armless man feel demeaned, as if they value stupidity over professional conduct more and more each passing day....

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

OK, I started hating BOA when I went to go cash a paycheck drawn on a BOA account and they wanted $5 to cash their own paper, but this takes the cake! I would rather keep my cash up my bum than have an account with them! Apparently, they have no idea what 'Customer Service' is!

Spock to Enterprise... Beam me up, Scotty! There is no intelligent or logical life here!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join