It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Shopper Slaps Crying Child

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
bottom line, the guy was probably looking for a fight. I dont care what everyone else says, you dont hit a strangers 2 year old child under any circumstances! Do I think todays children need more discipline? of course, but parents should be doling it out.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
so none of you here find a crying child and parents who ignore them annoying? i do.

lol treated for some redness after a slap? what treatment is this?

Annoys me to no end. But I don't slap the child.

Though one time in a subway, a child was running all over the place. I leaned over towards the father and politely asked him "Can you get your girl to stay put, she's running on people's toes." He didn't take offense, because I didn't tell him how to parent, and I didn't act angry. He instead grabbed her hand and told her to stay put, which she listened to.

Free expression is good and all, but I see too many kids who don't respect people's space.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by jd140

Well, my job as a parent FIRST is to try and discern WHY the child is crying.

If there is something physically wrong with the child my job is to comfort the child and get out of the store as quickly as possible.

If my child is just throwing a fit, I would choose number 2... but my children would listen to me. They always do.

Now which one do you think this parent chose.

Personally I'm glad that this kid got smacked by someone. As I said before that was probably the first and only time it will happen.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

LOL!
Sometimes I am looking for a fight, and I 'sick' my kids on strangers! J/K, not really, but they do work great to get your service work done a little faster in the auto stores, or get your prescriptions a little faster at the pharmacy! Just set them free and encourage them to explore how all the displays are put together!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Originally posted by jd140

It would be nice if people would cut back on the moral one-upsmanship also.
Once again, you people have no idea why the child was crying.
You cannot honestly say that your child wouldn't have done the same thing in similar circumstances.

Let me ask your opinion.

You are in Wal Mart and your child is crying. There are three things you could do, besides spanking or smaking up side the head. Pick one.

1. Ignore the child
2. Tell the child to stop crying(most likely this will be ignored)
3. Take your child to the car or the restrooms until they stop crying.

Give into your child and leave, like they want you to. Do not continue on with life until said child allows you to make a simple shopping trip. Increase your budget by twice, so that you can pay someone to watch your child so that others will not be inconvenienced.

Has it occured to you that leaving IS giving in?

I didn't say leave. I said take your child to the restroom or to the car.

What you do to your child in those two places to put the fear of god into them is non of my concern. Take care of buisness and resume shopping.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
People just love to talk about their rights. The right from noise pollution, their rights as a parent, the rights of the child. Nobody has pointed out that children are not raised in a vacuum as much as some parents would like to believe. As much as I dislike Hillary Clinton, I agree that it takes a village to raise a child. It also take a village to make sure those children are disciplined, educated, safe, etc... In the late 80's and 90's the "you won't touch my child" crowd gained power over even the schools. As much as people said that my generation was undisciplined, it goes 10x for the current generation. The 'children will be children' philosophy is nothing but BS. The guy could have chosen a different way of enforcing discipline on the child such as spanking which would be his right as one of the villagers. Parents that allow their children to be undisciplined, or unable to discipline their children should be declared unfit.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I don't know about the rest of you all, but I think he should have slapped the hell out of the mother as well. People have so little concept of the public space that it's sickening. Put a muffler on the brat or leave it at home. I can't even describe how many times I've wanted to do that while on an airplane. Someones little 2 year old mutant 'darling' screaming the whole plane ride and I turn around to say something and there's the mother just cross-eyed and drooling, seemingly oblivious to the little crap factory yowling at brain melting decibel levels.

now, if the person was trying to do what they could to quiet the kid down, and the kid just wasn't having it, that's a different story, sometimes kids are just like that.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
so none of you here find a crying child and parents who ignore them annoying? i do.

lol treated for some redness after a slap? what treatment is this?

it may be annoying, but crying children and their parents have just as much right to be in a store as you do. If the manager asks them to leave because they're causing a disturbance, they should respect that. But if a shopper finds it annoying, tough. They can leave if they don't want to be around it. If it's not bothering the parent(s), why should it bother you? Sometimes people with children have no other option than to bring their children to the store (to buy groceries, for example) because they have no one to watch the child. Do you expect every parent with a crying child to stop and leave the store in the middle of shopping, just because other people are annoyed? That's taking a ridiculous position in light of the realities of having children.

And if someone put their hands on my child in a store (or anywhere), you can bet they will be facing as many criminal charges as I can find, as well as civil damages. No one has the right to do what the man in the article did, and he should be made to pay for it!

[edit on 2-9-2009 by keeb333]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yep after I beat the crap out of him I would have been tossing everything from the come on shelves at him. He would have never gotten in more than one slap, and it is very very doubtful that would have even happened. Oh he is a sick man and I can imagine the horror he has caused the people in his life.

Maybe he has a brain tumor or cancer or something? I mean come on the man is terminal.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Oh well, I guess everyone can't like me.

If I was the parent then you would be reading about me being arrested for smaking the kid upside the head.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Eee, I did not see the backwoods uneducated tardish responses here, whoops, let me put it this way, I hear screaming children, crying babies while in public and if it bothers me, I TUNE IT OUT!

Once i had a migraine and there was a baby just bawling, I offered to buy the child a bottle of water, some sweet treat, but of course the mother declined, and just my offering left the child silent and wide eyed staring at me in amazement, it was a good feeling, lol.

link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

It's not his right to discipline the child in the slightest.

If had chosen to do that to my child (Which I probably would have tried to make her quiet).

Then he would be crying louder than that little girl by the time I was done.

link   

Originally posted by Aeons

It would be nice if people would cut back on the moral one-upsmanship also.
Once again, you people have no idea why the child was crying.
You cannot honestly say that your child wouldn't have done the same thing in similar circumstances.

Let me ask your opinion.

You are in Wal Mart and your child is crying. There are three things you could do, besides spanking or smaking up side the head. Pick one.

1. Ignore the child
2. Tell the child to stop crying(most likely this will be ignored)
3. Take your child to the car or the restrooms until they stop crying.

Give into your child and leave, like they want you to. Do not continue on with life until said child allows you to make a simple shopping trip. Increase your budget by twice, so that you can pay someone to watch your child so that others will not be inconvenienced.

Has it occured to you that leaving IS giving in?

I didn't say leave. I said take your child to the restroom or to the car.

What you do to your child in those two places to put the fear of god into them is non of my concern. Take care of buisness and resume shopping.

Wow, I really hope you don't have children. And if you do, boy, I feel sorry for them. Your response leads a reader to infer that you are an abusive person. "Put the fear of god into them"??? Really??? What year is this again?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

Yes I am going to be a parent and my wife and I are going to raise the child the way we were raised.

If you don't like it then take the advice many here have expressed that this guy should have done.

Mind your own buisness.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
If the parent sees fit to pop the kid in the butt, I've no issue. Operative word being "parent"... Everyone else? Buzz off, not your place at all.

Edited to clarify my point.

[edit on 9/2/2009 by seagull]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Wal-mart meds might be far cheaper than a drive-in pharmacy. If she could not afford a babysitter, she could not afford higher-priced meds.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Oh, I had to come back for this one...

Wait, are you telling me JD, that you don't have any children?

Why in the HELL are people telling parents how to parent their children when they actually have no children of their own?

I think your attitude will change when the baby arrives. Congrats on expecting.
Don't be a dick to your kids.

It was actually called out early in the thread that most of the people who take an authorative type stance on these issues are people without children themselves.

I hope you aren't thrown in the brig for abuse, JD.
Not for your sake, but for your child's sake. (Envisions JD's first experience with a child that is completely inconsolable)

If there is any truth to Karma your child will likely be born with collic. Read up on it.
Discipline your child through that!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Nope, no kids of my own.

I did however raise my nephew from the age of 6 months until he was 5.

You can mind your own buisness anytime now.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Y'know, being a parent of two very well behaved daughters, it really drives me crazy to listen to screaming kids in department stores, restaurants, etc. There is no reason that anyone should have to endure it.

Kids screaming in the grocery store. Parents pushing them around in a cart, happily ignoring the screams.

Kids whaling and thrashing about in restaurants. Parents speak a little louder so that their kids' behavior doesn't interrupt their own conversations.

All in all, the kid screaming should have been dealt with by the mother. Infants should be removed from public places ( go to the damn restroom until the child calms down), and toddlers are old enough to be taught how to behave in public places. This child's behavior is a result of inadequate parenting.

That said, this guy must be out of his mind. Like someone said on the first page, we all think about doing what this guy did. It's a mental release. However, actually doing it is another matter altogether. Just because it's actually the parents responsibility to keep their kids from infuriating others, does not mean that the infuriated others have any right to take on the parental role for someone else's child.

Whether or not my kid is out of line is irrelevant. If my child is struck by anyone, I will defend my kid with extreme prejudice. In fact, Wal-Mart would likely still be moping up this guys brain matter. Nothing brings out the violent streak in someone like inflicting physical harm on their child. How many parents have concealed carry permits? How many parents would use deadly force in defending their kids? The only question I have for this guy is: "Do you feel lucky... Punk?"

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join