Man tries to pay bill with spider drawing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+109 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I came across this a while back and it really made me smile, i think its just brilliant. I was reminded of it today whilst doing some reading into how humour can be a defence mechanism.

Anyways, i hope you enjoy it as much as i did......

Below is the complete email conversation that Adelaide man David Thorne claims he had with a utility company chasing payment of an overdue bill.

Date: Wednesday 8 Oct 2008 12.19pm
To: David Thorne
Subject: Overdue account

Dear David,
Our records indicate that your account is overdue by the amount of $233.95. If you have already made this payment please contact us within the next 7 days to confirm payment has been applied to your account and is no longer outstanding.

Yours sincerely, Jane Gilles

Date: Wednesday 8 Oct 2008 12.37pm
To: Jane Gilles
Subject: Re: Overdue account

Dear Jane,
I do not have any money so am sending you this drawing I did of a spider instead. I value the drawing at $233.95 so trust that this settles the matter.

Regards, David.

Date: Thursday 9 Oct 2008 10.07am
Subject: Overdue account

Dear David,
Thankyou for contacting us. Unfortunately we are unable to accept drawings as payment and your account remains in arrears of $233.95. Please contact us within the next 7 days to confirm payment has been applied to your account and is no longer outstanding.

Date: Thursday 9 Oct 2008 10.32am
Subject: Re: Overdue account

Dear Jane,
Can I have my drawing of a spider back then please.

Regards, David.

Date: Thursday 9 Oct 2008 11.42am
Subject: Re: Re: Overdue account

Dear David,
You emailed the drawing to me. Do you want me to email it back to you?

Date: Thursday 9 Oct 2008 11.56am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Overdue account

Dear Jane,

Yes please.

Regards, David.

Date: Thursday 9 Oct 2008 12.14pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Overdue account

Attached

Date: Friday 10 Oct 2008 09.22am
Subject: Whose spider is that?

Dear Jane, Are you sure this drawing of a spider is the one I sent you? This spider only has seven legs and I do not feel I would have made such an elementary mistake when I drew it.

Regards, David.

Date: Friday 10 Oct 2008 11.03am
Subject: Re: Whose spider is that?

Dear David, Yes it is the same drawing. I copied and pasted it from the email you sent me on the 8th. David your account is still overdue by the amount of $233.95. Please make this payment as soon as possible.

Date: Friday 10 Oct 2008 11.05am
Subject: Automated Out of Office Response

Thankyou for contacting me. I am currently away on leave, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Regards, David.

Date: Friday 10 Oct 2008 11.08am
Subject: Re: Re: Whose spider is that?

Hello, I am back and have read through your emails and accept that despite missing a leg, that drawing of a spider may indeed be the one I sent you. I realise with hindsight that it is possible you rejected the drawing of a spider due to this obvious limb ommission but did not point it out in an effort to avoid hurting my feelings. As such, I am sending you a revised drawing with the correct number of legs as full payment for any amount outstanding. I trust this will bring the matter to a conclusion.

Regards, David.

Date: Monday 13 Oct 2008 2.51pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Whose spider is that?

Dear David, As I have stated, we do not accept drawings in lei of money for accounts outstanding. We accept cheque, bank cheque, money order or cash. Please make a payment this week to avoid incurring any additional fees.

Date: Monday 13 Oct 2008 3.17pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whose spider is that?

I understand and will definately make a payment this week if I remember. As you have not accepted my second drawing as payment, please return the drawing to me as soon as possible. It was silly of me to assume I could provide you with something of completely no value whatsoever, waste your time and then attach such a large amount to it.

Regards, David.

Date: Tuesday 14 Oct 2008 11.18am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whose spider is that?

Attached

Genius!

Now i know this guy owed this company money and he should pay, im sure he did in the end, but when you genuinely have no money to your name there is nothing you can do. You cant get blood from a stone!

What makes this even funnier is that the spider picture eventually sold for $15,000 on ebay!

A hand-drawn digital picture of a seven-legged spider which became the subject of a widespread viral email has reportedly sold for $15,000 on eBay.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

And then the person who bought the spider picture for $15,000 refuses to pay the ebay seller!

A man who placed the $15,000 winning bid for a photograph of a hand-drawn seven-legged spider says he has no intention of paying up.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

Its like some sort of curse!
Maybe the ebay buyer could send a picture of a one-winged fly as payment

I just find the whole thing very funny.

As the man behind the drawing, David Thorne, said: "The internet is a playground and I would not have it any other way."

Peace.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Who is to say what value the picture is worth? If the man says it should be used to pay his bill, because it is valued at the amount in arrears, they should take it and clear his name of any debt owed. Think about it.

The money we use is just a promissory note. The people who issue it promise us that it is worth what they say. We take this as factual and run with it. We even try to get more of those promises. Why?

I say we have been force fed a line of bull for so long that we forget what it is we are doing here. The almighty promise of the dollar has us fooled. What is really important here? I say the picture of the spider.

S+F, I like this.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by jackflap]

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I had to S&F this.
I laughed so darn hard I ended up crying, my wife got upset, and the dog wet the carpet.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Rather than sending his spider by e-mail he should have drawn it as an Aboriginal dot picture on a McDonald's paper napkin.
www.didgeswedoo.com.au...
Then he may have received his $15,000

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
hmm from what i have come to understand, i do not think david here is broke. seems to me like this company have provided him with something useless. he was just trying to get his point accross with some humor. read the last email that he sent.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

If you read the attached links he states that he was genuinely broke at the time.

"The part about me having no money is also true."

I think that last paragraph was just sarcasm. I just think he couldn't believe she kept corresponding with him and sending the pictures back.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This had me cracking up! The part I imagined was the person he was emailing and what they must have been thinking. I know if it was me I would be laughing, I mean how could you not. I have worked in bill collection and the things people tell you are sometimes out there but this is by far the funniest and most clever! Thanks for posting S&F!

How funny too that the guy who won refuses to pay...lol

[edit on 9/2/2009 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by DOADOA

If you read the attached links he states that he was genuinely broke at the time.

"The part about me having no money is also true."

I think that last paragraph was just sarcasm. I just think he couldn't believe she kept corresponding with him and sending the pictures back.

my mistake. he almost seem too smart to be broke. i have a habit of giving people too much credit.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I laughed so much I cried...a work of a mischevious genius!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is the funniest post I've read since DOADOA posted about putting rockets on cats. Great post, btw.

Genius. Utterly genius. I laughed pretty hard after reading all the replies.

You can take it another way to. Seeing as she said lei currancy...well, the American dollar is a fiat currency. What's the difference?

We have our money and believe to to be worth something. In actuality, its worthless. Only worth the value printed on it. Not backed by say, gold.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This is absolutely fantastic!

I for one, would have accepted the 8 legged spider as payment. I then would have paid his bill for him for the simple fact that I use my money for entertainment purposes only, and he was definately entertaining!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
hilarious, i absolutely loved this. tyvm

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I find myself in a similar situation lacking money and recently being scaled back from my job so I have decided to go into business for myself in the world of photography.

The following is a beautiful picture of a blurry hand which is personally appraised at 1,000 dollars US.

You can U2U me to arrange payment for the personal copyright

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I have stumbled upon the story myself quite some time ago!

Quite briliant. S+F !

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
i to came across this years ago, i laughed very very hard the first time.

i did a search but i couldn't find his follow up to that e-mail, in which he deals with another bill issue.

its just as funny, i hope someone finds it.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Here's David Thornes website (the guy who did the spider drawing. If you've not seen it, it's got many chuckles in it

www.27bslash6.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Oh god! That is the most hilarious thing I have ever seen!

Thank yiou for sharing!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
S&F. If I could give more I would! I'm glad you chose to share this with us. It brightened my mood significantly. I believe good humor is sometimes essential in life. By the time I got to the part where he says he is time travelling, and then 3 minutes later he is back, I couldn't stop chuckling.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Can I have my drawing of a spider back then please.

Regards, David.

Date: Thursday 9 Oct 2008 11.42am
Subject: Re: Re: Overdue account

Dear David,
You emailed the drawing to me. Do you want me to email it back to you?

Date: Thursday 9 Oct 2008 11.56am
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Overdue account

Dear Jane,

Yes please.

Regards, David.

Date: Thursday 9 Oct 2008 12.14pm
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Overdue account

Attached

Brilliant although at this point he missed a trick....
Technically he asked her to send it back, she copied it and pasted it into a new email - technically this is a violation of copyright with admission :-). Although it would have got her back up and I'm sure he was just having his fun.

Still laughing :-)

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is great.
Thanks for the uplift.

It reminded me of this story -

I personally went in to pay a gas bill last month - and the clerk taking my payment started a conversation about times being tough - he went on to tell me about a woman who had come in a few days prior that had the amount of what she owed them written on a 5 by 7 piece of paper in black ink.
She handed the clerk the paper and said -
"here is my payment. I should be caught up now."

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join