It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy decides to pay 8,800 pennies to get his car out of impound

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
First off sorry If I post this in the wrong section, only place I could think of was general

Anyways this guy's car got towed, so in true ticked off fashion he paid for it in pennies, 8,800 of them. The company at first refuses to take the pennies but when he calls the police and they declare that it is legal tender and the company has to accept it. All in all, it is pretty interesting to hear them talking about how far it might have to go plus just getting a laugh out of it since I know at some point we've all wanted to stick it to a company that took advantage of us

www.liveleak.com...

Sorry that all I had was a link, I have no idea how to do a video in the browser from liveleaks

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
haha priceless.... thats what they (the impound) deserve

S+F cause you made me laugh

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

it's been posted.

I think it's pretty childish that people go after the poor guy who didn't do it, and find it funny.

Same consensus there. You want to teach them a lesson, don't go after the person who had no control over it, go after those in control.

It's childish, all of it.

Edit to add: and after watching the video, they seem to also waste police officers time, for their childish ways.

There are other ways, tons of other ways to make a stand, then by making someone who is just there doing there job, hell.

It's like being mad at a banking company, wells fargo, but you decide to go in their with billions of pennies just to make a stand, all your doing is making that tellers job awful. You don't affect anyone else.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Republican08]

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
FLAGGED AND STARRED.

PROPS TO THIS PERSON

here is my story.
I personally believe towing companies are a scam that work with the police just to get more money out of you. here in arizona its freaking 30 day mandatory when you get a DUI or driving on a suspended license, for them to hold your vehicle for 30 days. Then you gotta pay the police office 150 dollars to get a "pass" to get your vehicle out. then on top of that the cost of them holding it for 30 days mine was like 700 dollars, on top of all of the other legal fines .... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

oh and another note they dented my grill somehow.

SCREW TOWING COMPANIES.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tempesillest

Anyone who gets a DUI should have their DL suspended for atleast a year.

Maybe having them pay so much they will rethink there irresponsible ways.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Awolscout

Mint
- no pun intended

Well sure beats paying with a shoelace, rubber band and a button.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

A DUI should not have as heavy penalty's as it does, the punishments are massively over-proportioned, and who is to decide what should qualify as a DUI anyways, me personally I don't even agree that a 21 year old standard for alcohol should be enforced, at the very least the age should be lowered to 18 IMHO

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Well that's been done in several jurisdictions in my state and one by one they change the rules of how you can pay. Some guy paid nearly $1000 dollars parking tickets in pennies and the agency went on the air complaining that they had to take up employee hours counting the money - blah blah blah. Thus they changed the rules (in the form of local laws or ordinances) of how you could pay, so it wouldn't happen again.

I'm certain the rest of us would be thrilled if we made so much money from doing nothing but making invoices (writing tickets) that we had to hire people to count the money - even if it was pennies - we'd buy a machine.

I'm just so mad that I have to haul wheelbarrows of pennies to the bank.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Well my opinion is stated in my post above. As far as I'm concerned someone who is DUI should be arrested for attempted murder. But I will settle for taking away their DL for a year.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

of course you would.

sad any way i def lulz star and flag for you good post you made my night.

edit for the n00b jd.

I defiantly found your post to be funny, it did make my night and I thank you sir star and flag for you, well done.

JD please I implore you to not to derail this thread, if you have a question of me that is what the u2u button is for.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by ashnomadonte]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

I honestly don't know what you just said in the second part of your post.

Maybe break it down for me.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I first can't help but make a couple of comments regarding a couple of post I read:

"Republican08" Although I totally agree with you about how childish it was on both ends, I can't think of any way we can get back at the company or person in control or is responsible without having the police being called to have me removed regardless of how mature I handle it. They are too high up so although the teller at Wells Fargo didn't deserve to be the one, they are all we have to direct our anger towards in these types of situations. This is honestly a question, I am not calling you out or like most calling you names lol.

"JD140" Is there ever a middle ground with your comments, they always lean your way or no way?

On topic: I thought the video was priceless, made me laugh and also made me feel better that somebody got away with something like that because like another poster said they keep changing the payment rules as I"m sure this one will do soon. lol

A quick story about our local tow co. I just moved into my new place here in the Southern Nevada area, within the first week of living here I noticed a tow truck driving up and down my complex every other day. I called the HOA to find out what the deal was and was told that they "On Their Own" drive up and down every street, every complex, every Apt looking for expired tags so that they can tow and collect fees. I just about lost my mind when I heard that so I called our attorney informing him of this and within a week I had the tow co. served with no trespassing notice and they haven't been back since.

Great post and thanks for the laugh I needed it.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
priceless. Does anyone know where i can read this law? i google'd it (of course) but nothing really came up

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tempesillest
FLAGGED AND STARRED.

PROPS TO THIS PERSON

here is my story.
I personally believe towing companies are a scam that work with the police just to get more money out of you. here in arizona its freaking 30 day mandatory when you get a DUI or driving on a suspended license, for them to hold your vehicle for 30 days. Then you gotta pay the police office 150 dollars to get a "pass" to get your vehicle out. then on top of that the cost of them holding it for 30 days mine was like 700 dollars, on top of all of the other legal fines .... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

oh and another note they dented my grill somehow.

SCREW TOWING COMPANIES.

I got nained for No ins some months back, the fine was $300 for the No Ins however by the time they where done adding fees the damn ticket more then doubled to $630.00. anyhow it turns out that a seat belt violation of $50 here would end up being 380.00. And these where not court cost, there was fee's for Jail perdium funds, employee funds officer training funds and crap that I am sure my tax dollors pay for.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Well my opinion is stated in my post above. As far as I'm concerned someone who is DUI should be arrested for attempted murder. But I will settle for taking away their DL for a year.

i agree 100%, if youre going to drink...dont drive, simple as that

and if u need to drive...zomfg, DONT drink...i think i got it!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Actually, you're not hurting the 'poor employee' just doing his or her job (I was only following orders? But i digress...), as for a start, they get paid by the hour...if it takes the employee four hours to count the pennies, they get paid for 4 hours work...net result for the employee? No change. (pun intended)

They get the same wage whether they are impounding cars, or counting pennies.

However, the company itself - loses that 4 hours in terms of productivity.

The company or 'those in control' as you put it, suffer financially.

Which is a smallish way for the average man or woman at the sharp end of the extortion, i mean fine, to fight back in a legal, non confrontational and non violent way.

No one get's taken to jail, no one get's hurt, blood pressure stays normal, the employee get's his or her wages as per normal..the company get their filthy loot - minus the 4 hours lost in wages for the time taken by the employee to count the pennies...so the little man or woman, sticks it to the bosses of the company and feels like a winner (OK semi winner) win, win situation.

Everyone who gets ripped off by extortionate parking fines should follow this example...instead of moaning and whining about how angry it make you, or how unfair the fines are...DO something like this, and you may find they will be less...fervent in their 'duty'.

Good for him.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Everyone who gets ripped off by extortionate parking fines should follow this example...instead of moaning and whining about how angry it make you, or how unfair the fines are...DO something like this, and you may find they will be less...fervent in their 'duty'.

Good for him.

No!

If everyone starts doing this, the people with the money... IE NOT YOU!

Will call for an action to stop it, and you can bet, your freedom will be reduced.

Protest. That helps, it draws awareness and allows people to act in.

Pissing off the workers, will do minimum to nothing. but piss them off.

I'm pissed at mcdonalds, i'll go there and give them 5,000 pennies to pay for my meal, you can bet your ass that your food will have more then spit on it.

The company or 'those in control' as you put it, suffer financially.

And what do you suppose there outcome will lead to discovering this, gasp, financial loss, they will hunt down more cars and become just as offensive as the force against them, even more so.

But go on, believing that by kicking the guy/girl at the counter, that you've really hurt the CEO's.

Kill a slave aha, because then the master has one less.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Actually, you're not hurting the 'poor employee' just doing his or her job

You think someone who has studied their profession no matter what it be, would be happy and not in hell, counting out 8,800 pennies?

You think that this just leaves them with a
attitude.

I wonder what job you have sir, which has your ass wiped daily by people, and feel it just fine.

I assume, you've never dealt with the public at all. Don't assume, i'm probably right.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by smitts_lgp

I agree that drinking alcohol and or soft drugs is a very bad idea.

However, attempted murder charge? That's just being silly.

It also undermines the seriousness of real attempted murder too.

While i agree in principle that DUI is a very stupid and POTENTIALLY very dangerous thing to do.

I say potentially, as when younger, i regularly drove under the influence, and never had a scrape, and i know the same is true of many people i knew as a kid.

Those that have done it (like me) in their youth for example, should count themselves very lucky they haven't been a causal factor in the serious injury or death of someone else or themselves.

ANY mind altering substance, can cause you to lose perspective, reaction times are slower, or less acute and awareness obviously degrades. So of course people should not be driving a multi tonne lump of metal around at all.

But are there any exception to this view? There are always exceptions, and nothing in life is clear cut or black and white is it.

What about having to drive if you've had a drink? To get away from violence perhaps? A loony goes rampaging with a knife...DUI or die?

There are countless scenarios where someone may have no choice but to drive after drinking, not ideal i know, but 'needs must' sometimes.

Would this be attempted murder too? To save yourself or a loved one, or even a total stranger?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Protest. That helps, it draws awareness and allows people to act in.

Seriously? Protest? One would have better luck clapping with one hand or peeing into the wind.

They are going to pass every ridiculous law to screw us and make life more difficult for us anyway, so IMO this is a real way of protesting.

My car broke down last year. I had to get it towed forty miles. Cost was about $250. That seems excessive to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join