It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP senator warns of 'minor revolution' over health care

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Thanks for this post. It provides more fodder for those of us opposed to the current Democratic party's elitist ideology and hypocrisy.

On August 25, 2009, Sen Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) suggested the use of the "Reconciliation Process", to pass health care reform. He said it was an "acceptable option".

A quick search revealed that, in May 1996 (frwebgate.access.gpo.gov...) and "Summer 1998" (www.geocities.com...) a Democratic Senate staffer authored two articles about the Republican majority's use of the Reconciliation Process. The articles were titled, respectively, "THE DAY THE SENATE DIED: BUDGET MEASURE
WEAKENS MINORITY" and "The Monster That Ate The United States Senate". Now, the Dems think the "monster" should be revived? Really?

Now, before the Bush deflections begin, let me clarify that I think the use of this process, by either party, is a travesty. Ol' Lamar Alexander may be right, but, I question the use of the adjective "minor". It is time to throw the bums out. Republicans and Democrats alike. All of the elitests are ignoring the will of the people.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by WTFover] I should provide the identity of the staffer. Bill Dauster, an attorney and Deputy Staff Director and General Counsel for the U.S. Senate Finance Committee.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by WTFover]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Damn, that was a thread killing post!
Well put.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Do you guys not care about your own wallets?

Yes I do. However, of the many current ideas on 'Health Care Reform', none will lessen the impact on our wallets. Someone will have to pay for all this "change" and it is going to be those of us who actually work to put money in our wallets. To borrow your example of the "$50 aspirin". While I am not happy about it, I prefer to pay that $50, if I ever have to be in a hospital, for a few aspirins, than to pay an extra $50 every couple of weeks in additional taxes, for the rest of my life.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Sorry about that. Why is it that honesty is a thread killer?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gateway

Uh....I would say so. Doesn't an increase in government have to paid for with something? i.e. the stuff that's in my wallet.

I think you don't care what's in my wallet, for you only care so long as you can reach in-there and take some of it out to spend.

IF YOU REALLY CARED ABOUT WHAT'S IN MY WALLET, THEN DON'T TRY TO REACH IN THERE.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Gateway]

are you just acting coy or have you not read a word I read?

I am not advocating government healthcare...

I am advocating passing legislation that DOES NOT involve any government funding.

However YOU keep ignoring that, we are a nation of laws and legal maneuvers would be a fine step in the right direction for me.

But it seems you and many are intent to keep this scam system going, ten years will go by and you will have YOUR insurance company reaching in your wallet more and more each year. In 20 years when you or your business cannot afford a 200% increase you can shake your other hand in approval.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

I'm not sure, but it is a theme I have noticed.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Thanks for the visuals! I am curious about something in the CNN poll. Of the 60% of 18-34 year olds who favor Obama's plan, I wonder how many are between the ages of 18-22. Just saying, at that age we all had pie in the sky ideas of life. But, once life hit us right between the eyes, in the form of a career and bills, we were quickly brought down to earth.

link   

Originally posted by WTFover

Yes I do. However, of the many current ideas on 'Health Care Reform', none will lessen the impact on our wallets. Someone will have to pay for all this "change" and it is going to be those of us who actually work to put money in our wallets. To borrow your example of the "$50 aspirin". While I am not happy about it, I prefer to pay that $50, if I ever have to be in a hospital, for a few aspirins, than to pay an extra $50 every couple of weeks in additional taxes, for the rest of my life.

Sir I am not proposing a PUBLIC OPTION, I supporting reform thru legal mandate.

Do you know an analgesic, a pillow and 1 meal costs your insurance pool $300 to $400...

Do you not recognize a scam, mandated upon the entire population by an unelected
group of entities?

LESS A PUBLIC OPTION could you stomach some direct regulation of the system, why or why not?

link   

I think you have switched your tune.
You came in here talking about good ole' boys who are killing the change train.
Now you are saying that you want change without government help.

So, I would ask what your point was initially.

I'll dig your comments out after you reply.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

And when they have the industry locked down (insurance) they will raise their rates to offset their net losses across the boards.

Point blank - THIS GOVERNMENT DOESN'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT YOU!!!!
At all.
They will profit on your tears. Mark it down.

NOT if impose the fist of law up their asses,

Insurance has the industry locked down

BLUE CROSS DOESN'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT YOU!
They will profit on your final illness, you won't get a chance to mark it down.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

I think you have switched your tune.
You came in here talking about good ole' boys who are killing the change train.
Now you are saying that you want change without government help.

So, I would ask what your point was initially.

I'll dig your comments out after you reply.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by JayinAR]

No thanks, I am an AMERICAN, however I do not enjoy paying $50 an aspirin- I'm not
gonna play the fool role you cast yourself in and justify the legitimacy of such practices.
You and your legions will keep it just this way and your ridged ideology will be the sheepdog.

I think if all these states are so unhappy with the processes of united states government they should free themselves already. Seems fine to expand, expand, expand when the populace of these red states have a good ol boy in there.

In the future if you still want to pay $50 for an aspirin you are free to do so Gaeway and I will be glad to sell them to you.

I suggested that if all these states are unhappy with government why not leave already, all they do is support thing that are status quo, regardless of price, in the last three decades at least.
I pointed out the hypocrisy in those that oppose government spending and expanse now, but were fine with it for the past three decades.

I personally think healthcare can be addressed in a regulatory fashion with laws,
much like one cannot blackmail, or drive on the left side of the road. These do not take government funding or taxes to fund... DID you finally get that? Cause I have written that more than two times NOW.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
"Minor" Revolution....

Hehe, they don't have a clue what is coming. They can't even imagine it.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Too bad the GOP didnt feel that way about the crony war,
or the tax cuts for the rich, that started this train wreck
in the first friggin' place!

Otherwise we may of had a chance having health care AT ALL.
Thanks guys!

The status quo continues....
I hope when I get rich I feel the same way and can live with myself also.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I prefer the consumer regulation method of price control. A patient has the power to refuse that aspirin and pillow and have someone bring their own from home. Why not, if on a restricted diet, request that diet from your physician and have your family provide your meals? If you are charged for these things, anyway, your insurance provider and you can audit the bill and have those unused items removed.

Another solution to examine is to determine the reason for the inflated prices. I'm sure you would agree that the most probable cause is the number of aspirins and pillows, for which, the hospital is never paid. It is the same reason we pay inflated prices for everything else we purchase. The price of goods and services has to include many things other than their actual value. Insurance costs, legal costs, loss and theft, and, increasingly, the cost of adhering to governmental regulation are among the many factors used to determine pricing. It is the same in retail, food service, all service industries and, yes, health care.

I don't want the government controlling how much money I am allowed to earn and I'm sure you don't either. If I am ever lying on an operating room table, I want the surgeon to be the best person available. I don't want him/her to be someone pulled from the unemployment line, because capable people refuse to pay for and attend college for 8-10 years, just to end up being limited on how much money they can earn. Sure doctors are expensive, but, many of them sacrificed a lot to get where they are and deserve to be justly compensated.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
Too bad the GOP didnt feel that way about the crony war,
or the tax cuts for the rich, that started this train wreck
in the first friggin' place!

Otherwise we may of had a chance having health care AT ALL.
Thanks guys!

The status quo continues....
I hope when I get rich I feel the same way and can live with myself also.

Ya its to bad, we will accomplish jack CHIT nothing, zero benefit for Americans in anyway,

But hell we defeated the government!!!

Who ever that government works for will be sorry!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
ok lets all take a deep breath... whoozah !!!

I think its safe to say that most of us are getting a bit passionate onn our discussion, and some of us probably saying some controversial things especially me. Point of many of my posts though was the absurdity of the thoughht any of the states are going to secede in this century. It is not going to happen.

But look at us for real, we all tearing each others throats out. This division among us is causing us not to discuss the main thing, which is affordable health care.

We can play the blame game, and dream up unrealistic never gonnna happen war scenarios, but its all a distraction. Alot of you definetly game me a well deserved chewing out, and I respect that. But I still believe that when a civilization has reached a point technologically and has the resources, it should make it an unalienable right.

Why shouldnt healthcare be a right instead of a privelage? Cuz right now to me and milllions it is a privelage. Even those on the bottom ladder who have so called affordable corporate sponsored plans have crazy premiums and deductibles to the point where it aint worth it.

I am a healthy person but I dont make much monney at all. I have not and still do not have health insurance since I was sixteen. This gives me the drive though to eat right, excercise, and speed on the road or have bad manners. But I dont want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time one day, and a truck flips over and metal goes flying everywhere and I am impaled in a freak accident. Then at the Hospital, because I dont have anny insurance, they will do their best to remove the object and stop the bleeding, but I wont recieve anny kind of treatment or therapy to help me recover from my injuries. This happens everyday.

Just plain accidents. The Hoospital is obliged to patch you up, but its not like the movies. People dont just walk out the hospital from heavy injuries and all their parts are functioning in 48 hours. If you had to have surgeory on your legs or hands, more likely than not you may need to have physical therapy to assist the muscles and nerves in reaching their best performance again.

If I dont have health insurance, thheres no treatments or therapy sessions. Even with many corporatte programs the deductibles are so high and you get capped payouts you end up so in debt its ridiculous.

No physician in the world should have the right to charge you $500 to only speak to you less than 30 minutes about a procedure for your therapy or surgeory. Why just because insurance pays for it? My insurance did not even cover that for my child. SO I says, why the # should I bother? I applied for medicaid for my kid and got it. I like it. If I am already paying money out of my check for it, why not use it?

We should just ditch ALL private insurance, and create a universal health care system similar to the UK and Canada. That is my dream but I know there is no way that will fly in this country. Too many shareholders with too much money at stake.

Still, I would like to know health care costs and insurance will go way dwn at least. And I do feel that this overhaul will achieve that.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Brilliant insight. This is true.

BUT, if that war hadn't been waged, we wouldn't see this sort of "reform" actually being suggested. They wouldn't need the cash.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Look man, I'm sorry for getting off on the wrong foot initially by saying screw you generalizations (however I still feel that way).
I misunderstood you SLIGHTLY, but not much.

In the end, you are saying that while we should not accept what the criminals offer, we should go ahead and give them carte blanche to revamp the structure, provided that what?
They listen to us?

Sorry, that ain't gonna happen. Either you shut them down and make your voice heard authoratively, or you let them do what they will.
They have shown time and time again that they simply don't give a sh#t about what you want to say.
They are either struck down and thrown jobless, or we let them do what they want.

This is the point.

There are way too many people who simply aren't bothered enough by these things to give a damn that they are literally tearing this country apart.

In fact, I could list names of people in this very thread who stopped listening to what I had to say after paragraph two, when it became obvious that I wasn't simply conceding to a point they THOUGHT you made!

Non-Government reform is not on the table. And when you jump in and shout down the people who are objecting to what is ON the table, you are merely giving a voice to the morons who think this is actually suited for their interests.

Is that clear?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

I hope that you achieve your goal of becoming rich. Also, I hope that, by that time, we have all realized how the elitists have herded us to this class warfare and we have reconciled with each other.

I hope you are not treated any differently, just because of your wealth. That you are not taxed disproportionately (insert flat tax here). I hope that, when the government releases their grip of over taxation, you will use some of your wealth to help others, as you see fit, rather than as the flavor of the year political party thinks you should.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
THROW THE BUMS OUT!!!!
THROW THE BUMS OUT!!!!

All of them.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join