It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Like it or not, all 50 States must now recognize Gay Marriages!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by theonlyrusty

Nicely put!
Star for you!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by really

The difference is that in the case of Vermont (and soon New Hampshire) it is a legislature passed Law, not a judicial loophole, as in the other States. Since marriage is not something given to the Fed in the Constitution, the 10th amendment applies, and because DOMA includes a provision that negates Article IV, section 1 of the Constitution, it renders it unconstitutional. As to Federal Tax benefits, that's another matter. But considering the current state of political affiliation in Congress, that will probably follow as well.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by fleabit

Still don't make it right. It comes down to equal rights for all, or no rights for anyone. As to your example, while you had no children, you could if you chose to. There lies the difference. You did have the opportunity to benefit from the tax you were paying. The same cannot be said here.

You mean the same way you have the right to get married to someone of the opposite sex, and garner the benefits of same?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Agreed! They want the rights of marriage then give it to them, all of them! I personally do not swing that way but if the god they answer to says its ok then who am I to judge them. BUT make them pay taxes as a married couple and go through divorce if they separate and go through child custody fights and support payments et al.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

reply to post by fleabit

So, it's OK for us to pay for your 'couple based benefits', but it's not OK for us to enjoy these same benefits??? Umm, that's just total BS!

Non-gay couples have been the "norm" for thousands of years. It's natural. Obviously. If everyone was gay, we'd no longer exist.

Mind, it's nothing personal. I was also up in arms that while living in a small town in northern PA (and yes, I know this is true in many areas), I had to pay a school tax of around 300 bucks per year, even though I had no children in school. Yet someone just outside the "border" of the town, even if they had 9 kids in that school, had to pay nothing. I don't agree with that policy, either.

The "norm" since the beginning of the human race, has been a spectrum of sexuality. Gay, straight, bisexual - it's all been around since the first time someone looked up at the sun and decided to start worshipping something.

Also, coupling has only recently been mostly about love (and that's pretty much exclusive to the West). In the past, brides were traded and sold like cattle to bind families together and increase their fortune. Marriages had to be sanctioned by the Church and the government to be legit.

To reply to your comment about paying school district taxes...everyone does it. That person with 9 kids pays taxes in their respective district even if their kids don't go to school there for whatever reason. Everyone pays taxes towards public education as far as I know...that's why it's "public education". We all share the burden of educating the nation's children. The alternative would be something like health insurance now. Private organizations would be able to charge whatever they see fit and as with health insurance, we'd be seeing astronomical prices just to get kids a very basic education.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Oh, this old argument. You don't marry someone of the opposite sex, you marry someone you love and want to build a life with! Do you only have a relationship with someone because of their plumbing, or do you choose a mate based on a much deeper connection? If it's based solely on the plumbing, I feel sorry for you! Shallow doesn't even begin to describe that! But I'm sure that you don't...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

reply to post by schrodingers dog

It's too bad that the internet and ATS weren't around during the Civil Rights Movement in the '60s. It would be soooooooooo interesting to go back to the 'hate on darky' (not intended to be a racial putdown, but rather an example of the mindset of the time by the majority) threads and compare them to the 'hate on the homos' threads of today! I'll bet the arguments would be quite similar!!!

Why dwell in the 60s? If you're white and want to witness extreme racism and hatred first hand, just visit Detroit. You won't find a better example promise.

As far as the topic, meh, good for the gays. I lost no sleep either way. There's far more pressing issues this country faces.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Tyr Sog]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyr Sog

I grew up in the Detroit area, so I know. One of the reasons I absolutely hate the area. It's just sad. I was just observing that history seems to be repeating itself. Old arguments against a new player in the game.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Every civilization that has embraced homosexuality has been destroyed. I fear that we are next. We may decide right or wrong based on our flawed human wisdom, but there is a higher moral standard laid down by the hand of God. I sure wouldn't want to flaunt my disregard of that standard.

Well your ticket into heaven is not dependent upon other people is it now?

And god gave people free will?

So live your life and worry about yourself and your family...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Just think what a wonderful world this would be if we all agreed to place LOVE and PEACE above WAR and HATE.

It seems to be 'o.k.' for christians to join the military and invade soverign countrys and plunder, mutilate, maim, rape, torture and kill INNOCENT people........

But, 'lord forbid,' If two consenting adults (that happen to be of the same sex) should find happiness and fall in love and want to spend their lives together........somehow, THAT'S a sin...

TIME TO EVOLVE PEOPLE....

It is time to move away from dogma and belief into what is REAL and TRUE..........LOVE IS THE ONLY TRUTH...

The bible could have been written using only 4 words;

Love everyone, The End

PEACE and LOVE..

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Since when does a sexual deviance, or preference equate some kind of minority status? This stuff belongs in the privacy of someone's bedroom, not the courts or the political arena. What's next, laytex rights or BDSM lobbyists?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I think that government approved marriage should be abolished. There should be civil unions and that is it. I have been married two times. The last time it took 6 years to get it straightened out with the IRS. I was only married to the guy for 1 year. They started making me pay his back taxes on top of mine. I will never legally get married again. Might have a "service" but no more legal crap. Just make out a will leaving the estate to your partner or whoever you want and that's that. Most employers allow domestic partnerships now also. My current boyfriend agrees with me on this also.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Nice!

I just hope the Polygamist get to have as many partners as they want now, and the pedophiles get to lower the legal age of consent to 13, and let’s not leave out those who practice beastality.

Its all normal rght?

so your comparing two concenting adults to a person raping an animal, an adult having sex to a child and a person amrrying multiple people? what an ignorant post.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

how can this be?
who cares!?

good for them.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I freely admit I have not read through all the posts on this thread, but I have an opinion. If we outlaw gay marriage will people who are gay stop being gay? No.
If we let gay people be married and have the same rights as other married folks, will that affect our personal way of life? Doubt it.
If gay people can get married and have the same rights as other married folks do you think they will be happy? yes.
Which would you rather have, a crowd of angry gay guys parading around in g-strings with signs, or quiet calm streets filled with happy people? Me too. I like happy people.

Do I want to see two men kissing? no. absolutely not. Sadly, if you asked me the same question about two women, the answer may change depending on the circumstances. I am shallow and I can live with that.
Shouldn't we be more concerned with our economy instead of pissing on somebodys parade?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

LOL I like your post, I found it refreshing!

However I must point out that I do not own a G-string and I would not think of protesting in one!

Unless I was at the beach...

and in much better shape...

Oh and this

Shouldn't we be more concerned with our economy instead of pissing on somebodys parade?

This is actually connected, if the nation went pro "Gay Marriage" it would be be a nice booste to the economy. Showers, Parties, gifts, Reception halls etc would see a marked increase in business. Never underestimate a Homosexuals desire to finish off a Pfaltzgraff collection.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Helmkat]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by theonlyrusty
I could care less if a person feels as if they are attracted to a person of the same sex.
I don't care that ya'll want to get married and give the state money for a license to make it legal in the states eyes.
I don't even mind being hit on when I go out with my fiancee to a public venue by some flamer....
It all boils down to the truth and here it is.....

All you folks out there that feel so liberated being "gay" should be VERY appreciative that your parents felt differently or none of ya'll would be here.
Sex is for pleasure or procreation....period.....not right, not wrong, that's just the way it is.

If you put 100 gay men on an island and come back in a 125 years, what do you have? An island...cause you can't procreate.

If you put 125 gay woman on an island, what do you call it? If you are the only man to discover the island, you would call it heaven or maybe a challenge.

Just be truthful with yourself..Gay is nothing more than a very deep emotion. So is anger, jealousy, rage and depression.....they are all overcome by right thinking...._javascript:icon('
')

The gays may have the solution to the worlds problems though. If we were all forced to be gay and have same sex marriage and we were not allowed to procreate with the opposite sex, there would be no more pollution, starvation or wars in 125 years and mother earth would heal herself quite rapidly.....

Let the bashing begin!!!!!
Wow, such a simple view, with so many words.

Your point is 100% MUTE, becasue the world isn't 100% gay, it will never be 100% gay, and the human race is not at risk

jesus H man, some people will try anything to hide their prejudices.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotrodturbo7

Notice the part in bold type? So why would the other States be forced to recognize Gay Marriages (as opposed to civil unions) performed in these States? The U.S. Constitution; Article IV, Section 1- Each State to Honor all others

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

So while they may prohibit Gay couples from getting married in their State, they have absolutely no choice in regards to recognizing the Marriages performed in other States. This also renders the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional. It's only a matter of time now before this is brought before the Supreme Court.

Does this mean that all other states must also recognize Vermont's open carry gun laws?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Nice!

I just hope the Polygamist get to have as many partners as they want now, and the pedophiles get to lower the legal age of consent to 13, and let’s not leave out those who practice beastality.

Its all normal rght?

Do you own a dictionary? Look up "consent", then think about "consenting adults".

Nowhere will animals, who can not give consent, or children who are not adults, be forced into your ideas.

And who care if someone has more than one wife or more than one husband? What does that have to do with you?

OOOO it might destroy the sanctity of marriage? You mean like the fact that my family cannot afford health insurance for our children, and because my daughter has just been diagnosed with a heart condition and needs thousands of dollars in testing and care, my husband and I are considering divorce? You mean like that kind of sanctity? (rolls eyes)

Perhaps, if I had more than one husband, then we could afford health insurance.

It is about time that all adults have the right to marriage.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This thread is so gay.

There is no law preventing gays from marrying now. Marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman regardless of their sexual preference.

Equal rights for all. Special rights for none!

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join