It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Like it or not, all 50 States must now recognize Gay Marriages!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
man, i can't believe how much hatred i'm seeing for love.
marriage is based on LOVE. it's not that hard to grasp. i too hope that the negative attributes and terms for gay marriage will someday be a thing of the past as well.

love really IS the answer.

edit to add: and just for the demographic, i'm a very happily married person of 17 years to my beautiful and lovely wife.

[edit on 9/2/2009 by zooplancton]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Marriage is the problem here, not sexuality.

If two consenting adults want to be together, then they should go for it, marriage means nothing! It's an out-dated man-made concept that is totally pointless.

We should be evolving, moving forward, and leaving crap like that behind.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

"So while they may prohibit Gay couples from getting married in their State, they have absolutely no choice in regards to recognizing the Marriages performed in other States. This also renders the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional. It's only a matter of time now before this is brought before the Supreme Court."

Sorry, you are not correct. It would not render the Federal DOMA act unconstitutional. Federal law supersedes state law. Basically, homosexuals married in Vermont will not be looked at as a married couple by the Fed. Thus, things like income tax will be tallied as if they were single and not married.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
omg finally the US is following humane laws! hooray for the freedom of gays!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Every civilization that has embraced homosexuality has been destroyed. I fear that we are next. We may decide right or wrong based on our flawed human wisdom, but there is a higher moral standard laid down by the hand of God. I sure wouldn't want to flaunt my disregard of that standard.

Oh no! We're all gonna die! Here comes Jeebuz and man is he mad!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

I stopped reading comments after yours and hit reply, i dont care what others have to say after hearing it put so perfectly from a person with the exact same view as me.
If youve got a problem with gay marriage get out of the homosexuals closet, leave his private bedroom, and return to your home. Why are you in there watching in the first place if it offends you? People lives are peoples lives, love and bedroom has nothing to do with being a human being as a person. Rights go to humans

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
In all honesty, I believe that 100 years from now people will be reading about this in the history books discussing how far we have come and how intolerant we used to be.

Personally, I don't think the government should be able to say who is allowed to get married and who shouldn't be able to. I am not gay, and I am not one of those types who isn't going to get married till gay individuals have the right to get married. I just felt the need to state the obvious as we have seen throughout history. Maybe 200 years from now most people will actually accept gay couples in society.

I wonder what changes this would bring about in society.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

OK, maybe the apocolypse is coming, because I agree with you again! LOL! I would counter, however, that the straight community are equally as guilty of giving us the 'gay' label as we are of giving it to ourselves. Actually, it's another label, but to repeat it here would get this post removed, but you get the picture. It is a natural reaction for a group to gather together when the majority 'gangs up' on them, no matter what group it is. The thing is if we, as a society, stop this label nonsense, it will go away. Instead of being a Gay American, I could be an American who just happens to be Gay. As a nation we seem to have forgotten the saying "United we stand, divided we fall", because we seem to love to attack the differences and encourage division!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

"Now that this has happened, maybe they can stop defining themselves by just a sexual preference.
If they do that, I'll stop defining myself because I like brussel sprouts.

If you take a gemstone and just judge it by one facet, then you diminish it and yourself.

When the homosexual community started defining themselves by just who they slept with, it diminished their arguement to something better served in an X-rated chatroom."

i just wanted to make that my comment also, im canadian have heard every argument for Gay, and i dont have a bone in my body against it. But you in 3 paragraphs summed it up so eliquintly, possibly the most logical/greatest blurb on the issue ive read.
-Cheers!!!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well personally I find same sex marriage gross and sometimes humorous, but that's my personal opinion, and means nothing to the world. I do however think marriage is shared between to peoples who share a bond of love and trust and all that good stuff, not just a bond between man and woman, especially since divorces are given out like a fast food meal. Marriages in general have changed. Divorce was once considered a sin I think, but I'm probably making that up. If two people love each other and want to spend a life of ups and downs together let them go for it, in a way it kinda reminds me of those commercials where the little boy wants the red toy truck but gets the cardboard cutout instead knowing he gets ripped off, straight people get married cause they love, the homosexual couple gets the cardboard cutout knowing they got ripped off. New age, new rules, time for a change.

Milkmustache for president-2012.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zippy1958
reply to post by A Fortiori

This is one of the most touching posts I have ever read here. Thank you.

It amazes me that people that don't even know me would judge me by who I love and sleep with. If these people would just get to know a gay person, they would realize that we are no different than they are. We are all judged by the actions of a few and that is just plain wrong.

Aww you're welcome. I believe in love. That's it.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by really

Although I already covered this argument pages ago, I guess it needs to be repeated:

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by stevegmu

Point made, but also moot:

Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Source.

Since regulation of marriage is not delegated to the Fed by the Constitution, it is granted to the States.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Every civilization that has embraced homosexuality has been destroyed. I fear that we are next. We may decide right or wrong based on our flawed human wisdom, but there is a higher moral standard laid down by the hand of God. I sure wouldn't want to flaunt my disregard of that standard.

Correction... every civilization has been destroyed.

Your point is like saying everyone who has drank water had died.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I just wanted to point out the fact that being "gay" or homosexual is older than jesus. It's older than the bible. It's older than the PEOPLE who wrote the bible. Therefore your "good book", which talks about being fruitful and multiplying, and also talks about out of marriage sex being a sin....strange eh? says that being gay is bad.....

Well I just want to ask you something. Ever heard of this guy? www.encyclopedia.com... Maybe yes, maybe no.

But this argument is stupid. If a couple of the same sex wants to go to court and get married so that they can benefit from the same tax laws as other people who are IN LOVE, so be it. Whether you think being gay is against the bible or not, or whether these people are going to go to hell or not, is not even a part of the question, because they are going to have sex regardless of what you say. They will continue to hold hands in the streets, and throw street parades, and wear rainbow patches and stickers to show off their gayness, just as you will keep screaming the gospel and sending each and every person who doesn't believe your book to hell, without care for others.

Ever thought something like.....you don't believe in another religions book, which in turn will send you to their version of hell. So in reality you will go to hell too. We all will. Or maybe we won't.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Huraah! Some sense from a goverment *checks to see if the sky is still blue*

Got to love it, it's going to drive some people nuts, and i think that's so funny. Becasue they a- think that it actually matters to them, for some unknown reason. and B- no, that was it
I hope it eats them up inside. A bit mean yes, but people should start getting over stuff that doesn't effect them at all.

And here's my last liner for all of these threads.

The sooner we can look at our simularities, instead of our differences, the sooner the human race can evolve. Viva la everybody!!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

What a big defeat for civil rights! The more marriages that states dictate over, the less free of a country we are. What Vermont is doing is butting its nose into people's personal relationships. Why gay people would want such a thing is a mystery.

Gay marriage is just fine with me but state-sanctioned marriage of any kind is ridiculous as people should have the right to define their own personal contracts and not be bound and restricted to the terms of the state.

Mothers should have mother's rights and fathers should have father's rights. If the state wants to acknowledge and support such rights that is mostly good. But, what the state does wrong is say who can and cannot be married. The state of Vermont involves itself in marriage whether or not they are invited to be involved. That is for individuals to sort out among them selves not for states to butt into.

Gay people must not understand "legal" marriage. Here is how it works. Under "legal" marriage, you ask the state for permission to receive about 1,400 additional rights. They then decide whether or not to grant you such rights. That is a fundamentally flawed way of doing things because we are supposed to have rights whether or not they are applied for.

To ask the state for rights is a grave insult to democracy. And by gays asking for "legal" forms of marriage they are signing over powers to the state that they should not have in the first place!

Bravo! Hear hear!

Hopefully this time you will get heard... The logical argument always ignored....I must be a beating drum to some people...

So glad to see some people get it...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
great ! about time ! the fact in the constitution all men were created equal is finally being recognized ! who cares what people do in the privacy of there own bedrooms ! well the religious right will throw a tantrum as usual in the name of a non-exsistent god ! people against gay unions what the hell are they so worried about ? you cant catch homosexuality !

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Like it or not?????????????

What's to like?????

You must be completely gay to like such developments... if you can call it that...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmmayer
Ever thought something like.....you don't believe in another religions book, which in turn will send you to their version of hell. So in reality you will go to hell too. We all will. Or maybe we won't.

[whisper] Maybe we're already there... [/whisper]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Who cares if they get married? I do. There is a lot more to it than just recognizing the union. As a married couple, this opens an entirely new can of worms in regards to tax breaks, laws revolving around children, homes, medical care, you name it. And any couple-related program that tax payers must contribute to, must be paid for by gays and non-gays alike.

Now, while there may be some very happy gay couples out there, from what I have seen, there are a lot more break-ups and drams revolving around gay couples than not. There just is. I believe I read a statistic for this, but I've witnessed it firsthand, having had several gay friends, and living gay couples now on two occasions.

Also, opening the door with gay marraiges imo, will start to open less savory doors, as more will clamor for "equal rights."

I have nothing at all against those who choose the lifestyle. I do have an issue if I start having to pay for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join