It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California firefighting WTF?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I've lived in SoCal for two+ years now. Every year it's the same thing. Every August-October we get rather huge and devastating wild fires. What I don't understand is first off why the state of California doesn't do MORE to prevent these fires. Why doesn't the state of California OWN THEIR OWN super scoopers and other fire fighting planes instead of leasing them from Canada.

Why doesn't California spend MUCH more time and energy scouting wild fires before they happen. I mean let's say for two months you put up 2-3 times the number of planes in the air looking for fires and maybe even have a super scooper full of water patrolling. Why can't they use infrared technology at night to get a hold on "flare ups". I realize how big and vast CA is but still come on. Also why does it seem throwing water on fires with helicopters and airplanes seem like a VERY antiquated ways to fight fires.

This might sound silly but what about ice bombs or ice bullets? What about blowing up the dirt or bombing a fire break instead of sending men up there to "dig it". If they can design a bomb that goes under the Earth to destroy a bunker can't the design a bombs that blow up UNDER the Earth achieving two things:

Throwing up dirt and putting out fires and building a dirt pathway to create a fire break for future fires. I know people will say it's dangerous blah blah blah. What's worse letting 122,000 acres burn with possible homes and businesses and what not?

Also many of these CA wildfires were said to have started in areas that haven't been cleared of underbrush in as much as ten years, I heard decades in other places. WTF? This is a complete and utter failure of the National Forest Service. Maybe CA needs to get its priorities straight.. One of the wealthiest states or should I say areas in the world and they don't even own their own fleet of water fighting airplanes. What a joke!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Having lived my entire life (until 3 years ago) in Southern California, the reason I have always heard is because environmental groups prevent the clearing of brush in the mountain regions. I'm sure that may be a part of it but there is A LOT of mountain ranges in SoCal so i'm sure money is a huge factor as well.

It seems like a lot of these fires are arson/negligence as well so we have the stupid human aspect to contend with.

It sucks I know as we almost lost our home when I was a child and my sister almost lost hers 2 years ago in the Orange County fires.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Fires are the one way that many forests and wild life areas renew themselves. There are many seeds that cannot spore until they reach a certain heat that is created by these fires. They are a part of nature and have been going on for millions of years.

Suburban sprawl into these natural wild fire areas is not Mother Nature's fault, but the fault of the people who moved into those locations. Wild fires and earthquakes are a hazard there like tornadoes are a hazard where I live. Not much can be done to prevent a tornado, just like not much can be done to prevent a wild fire. The land is dry and lightning will strike it.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a lot of these cali fires are arson started, so there's not a whole lot one can do to prevent these types of fires. the sheer amount of golden grass lands that surround the valley is pretty overwhelming too. i'm sure it would be a logistical nightmare to try to cover it all.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Im not sure how to respond to such an ill-informed chilidish rant.

Tens of thoushands of men and women risk thier lives protecting the people of the state of california and as someone whos done just that, I find the opening post quite offensive.
If you dont like whats going on, then why dont you get your whiney, ignorant butt and thrown on some nomex and grab a pulaski and help out.
Otherwise thwen go back from where you came and hopefully its coutside of california.
It will be one less idiot that the firefighters have to worry about protecting.
When you see a firestorm racing up a canyon up close it will change your perspective.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin
Having lived my entire life (until 3 years ago) in Southern California, the reason I have always heard is because environmental groups prevent the clearing of brush in the mountain regions. I'm sure that may be a part of it but there is A LOT of mountain ranges in SoCal so i'm sure money is a huge factor as well.

It seems like a lot of these fires are arson/negligence as well so we have the stupid human aspect to contend with.

It sucks I know as we almost lost our home when I was a child and my sister almost lost hers 2 years ago in the Orange County fires.

Thats the same thing that happened here in Melbourne Australia Last summer. The enviromentalist would not let anyone clear the bush of dead tree debris or any back burning. Last summer an entire town was lost due to the fires and so were many lives.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

The last time I heard anything about Californian finances the state was bankrupt and Arnie was selling stuff off on Ebay, staff were being paid with IOUs etc, PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS and donate to the firefighters or at the very least volunteer even if its just to help with refreshments and food for those that are putting their lives at risk to save you and your belongings for very little pay!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

Fires are the one way that many forests and wild life areas renew themselves. There are many seeds that cannot spore until they reach a certain heat that is created by these fires. They are a part of nature and have been going on for millions of years.

Thats correct

We have many species over here in the Australian bush that rely on fire, for the continued existence of them. If you dont want to be at risk from fire, then move. Its that simple

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

Blah blah blah. My post wasn't meant to be offensive. It's the facts. California fire fighting is inefficient and always playing catch up. You're telling me with technology out there its IMPOSSIBLE to do more to prevent fires and nip them in the bud before they spread? If you represent the mentality of all the firefighters fighting these forests no wonder technology hasn't caught up. It's obvious..........the fire gel they created to save houses was discovered by a firefighter burning a pile of trash and low and behold figured out that the diaper in the trash wouldn't burn. I never ONCE criticized firefighers.. I was criticizing the lack of technology, prevention, and the fact that CA doesn't even invest in it's own fire fighting equipment. These are all VALID arguments. Why don't they DOUBLE or TRIPLE the number of planes in the air dropping water huh? I might cost twice as much but it would put out the fires in half the time as well.

And don't worry I'll be moving back to Oregon or Colorado. Where people are much smarter about where they live. Californians are idiots. SoCal is a desert. It never rains. All the faux irrigation has given you morons a false sense of security. You can have your pathetic, liberal, backasswards state. I find it hilarious to see a multimillion dollar megamansion surrounded by desert and people cry and complain when the fires come and burn down their homes. yeah you people are geniuses I tell you.

And to the other poster hurricanes in no way compare to forest fires. They are two very different natural disasters.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
As mentioned, these forest fires are a part of nature. It's required to maintain the natural eco-system of the region. It will never stop.

It's the same with flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes... some places are just not designed to be easy on Humans, and this is one such place.

But I also understand the reaction to the stupidity of continuing to live in these places.

There are several places in the UK where flooding has happened before, and people keep on living there. Then when it floods they blame "the government" as if they can somehow control nature

You'd have thought people would have learned something. In other countries people build their homes on stilts in regions where flooding is possible.
In areas where fires are more likely they limit the numbers of homes to specific zones and have evacuation plans.

The fact is, if you live in one of these areas, you know the dangers and you choose to accept the gamble.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
You are confused Sir. No lifelong California resident is on here bitching about firefighting techniques. That is SOLELY your burden to carry despite your impending move to....wherever the hell.... YOU were whining about those techniques, no one else. Can't stand the heat....... I'll leave this one alone for now.......

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

You all are still missing the point. You have 140,000 acres burning and you have a handful of planes flying around trying put out the fires????????? LOL! You've got to be retarded not to realize that you could easily double the number of planes dropping water on these things. I guess when Germany was bombing the crap out of London they only sent in a handful of planes right? No they SHOWERED London with planes and bombs. So you can't use the excuse that it's too dangerous to use lots of planes........you send them over the fires in formation one behind the other in lines. Have a formation of 50 water dropping planes. Why not? Tell me why not? Remember when they used to put out fires in the old west..........they'd form a line and pass buckets of water up to the last person closest to the house.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
The first point that you made on prevention is right on imo. The old growth forest must be cleared as much as possible , removing dead and dying trees for firewood as an example. But , no that is not legal as it might harm the spotted tree bugs or whatever .
In fact , Im sure the paper companys would gladly pay the state to go in and clean up the forests , under state supervision it would work fine. Whats needed is some common sense.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by bluemooone2]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
The first point that you made on prevention is right on imo. The old growth forest must be cleared as much as possible , removing dead and dying trees for firewood as an example. But , no that is not legal as it might harm the spotted tree bugs or whatever .
In fact , Im sure the paper companys would gladly pay the state to go in and clean up the forests , under state supervision it would work fine. Whats needed is some common sense.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by bluemooone2]

The places that are on fire in SoCal right now are not "old growth forests". they are brushlands, full of manzanita, buckbrush and scrub oak.
A vegatative community that is a fire climax community. They require fire as part of their life cycles, as was mentioned before.
They are going to burn eventually, no matter what and theres nothing any one can do about it. Its natures cycle.
many of these areas havent burned in the last 40 years, and if they had it wouldnt be so bad today.
The real problem is than man keeps pushing suburbia into wilder areas.

And there are huge dead fall and brush mitagation programs in the state.

Where the fires are at their worst are in very steep canyons that are essentianly inaccesable. Theres no way to effectively clear them out other than fire.

new topics

top topics

join