It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New German Armor confounds the experts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Got this off another board from an author .

Hi,
The German company IBD-Deisenroth Engineering (manufacturers of MEXAS applique armour), have made a technical breakthrough in active defence systems. It utillises a classified kill mechanism which does not incorporate interceptor missiles, blast/fragmentation warheads or flying plates. HEAT warheads are destroyed, completely, not merely detonated prematurely. Kinetic energy darts are fractured into several seperate pieces. I have sat through several video presentations and seen X rays of KE rounds disintergrating a couple of meters from the target.
I have NO idea of how the kill mechanism works. I have watched well known armour analysts sit almost slack-jawed after the presentations. A couple of people, who are not given to flights of the imagination, have even wondered out aloud about extremely powerful electro-magnetic pulses.

People would know some of the analysts that went into shock. It would not be fair to name them. Reaction from senior representatives for various military manufacturers ranged from angry disbelief to anxious conversations with each other. It was simply the most surprising event I have witnessed at any military conference or arms display.

I have no idea of the type of KE dart or what the HEAT projectile was. The guy running the video was very clear that flying plates were not incorporated in the kill mechanism. I am really at a loss to explain it. The video footage was of the threats being defeated. The X rays were a series of stills.

Any one got any ideas how this would/could work?

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I need a link first before i can see it.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Do you have a link to the video? Or maybe the website of the company that created this thing?

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
video!!!1! i demand video.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
So far, the only reference I can find to psteel's above mentionings is this:

One of the leading manufacturers of passive armour packages is German company IBD - Deisenroth Engineering - and supplies more than 7,000 armour packages for a wide range of tracked and wheeled AFVs. It has also supplied packages for trucks used in peacekeeping operations. The company markets three basic packages called MEXAS light, medium and heavy. The company also allows licensed production of its armour packages and has the capability to develop armour for specific applications.

Making the tough tougher

No date and time for release of article.

Other than that, psteel needs to link to the messageboard he supposedly retrieved this information from.

seekerof

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
German Leopard Upgraded C2 MBT with MEXAS armor:
Main Battle Tank � the Leopard C2 MBT

It also seems that all NATO units are able to get this 'add-on' armor, including the US Stryker:
Advanced Add-on Armor
for Light Vehicles

Typical passive add-on armor is the MEXAS, produced by IBD in Germany. In some models of passive composite armor, reactive, non energetic materials are contained between the different layers of the armor. These materials react when hit by a projectile, and cause the whole module to change its physical characteristics.

seekerof

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
This is not mexas since the projectiles are defeated before they even reach the AFV, its an Active defence system. MEXAS is a passive armor with honeycomb structure layered with slabs of some light weigh super hard material [ probably including Boron Carbide] with other undetermined capabilities that seem to improve its performance over traditional ceramic steel armors on modern tanks etc.

There is no link yet cause the source was a participant in the conference and he just relayed the info today.I don't even know the name they use for this armor

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
psteel, without doubting your sincerity, it would be awesome to get some more information on this.

As this is no where else on the net further information would be a wonderful scoop for ATS.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Well, i am no expert, but from the quote, it says it uses KE darts which "are fractured into several seperate pieces" to defeat the HEAT round. So, it uses splintered shards of a KE munition to destroy an incoming projectile, kind of like firing a shotgun at a clay pigeon. My guess would be they stumbled on a simple way to use an EXTREMELY high speed "scatter gun" type of defence to cut down incoming rounds.

Thats all assuming this is true of course..... (waiting for a vid or link)

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
mabye its an electro magnetic field but i like the idea mad man came up that seems to fit best into the facts at hand

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I can't give you any more details partly cause I was asked not to ,but also cause the source genuinly doesn't know the answer.

No one was allowed to answer any questions during the presentation, however it was stipulated that electromagnetic effects, fragmentation or flyer plates were NOT part of the defeat mechanism. It was some other unnamed effect.

THe fracturing of KE dart is a result, as is the destruction of HEAT warheads too . They are not linked.

One speculation I would tender [tentatively] is the following. Ukranian has developed a ERA type called Knife. Knife is a series of 4cm 'linear shaped charges' that direct sheets of metal instead of a focused jet. If the projectile strikes this plate at angle [glacis or front turret] the charges underneath are detonated. From the "Fundamentals of shaped charges" [Zukas & Walters] these can penetrate about 2-3 diameters of metal at a standoff around 2-3. So it would chop the warhead into several pieces?

Now if this was directed outward instead of upward it would impact before the vehicle was hit....but this would still only be a few hundred cm away from the hull?

Got to be something else/more than this as its some other "effect" they are exploiting.

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by psteel]

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by psteel]

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I believe this is the new technology behind the Germans' inovation. See web site www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,5461,00.html

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well, as far as body armor goes, I saw a Discovery channel documentary about body armor...specifically, a guy created an extremely bulky yet absolute head to toe suit of armor called the "G-Man Genesis" or the "G-Suit Genesis" If anyone has information on the body armor please post or u2U me or anything. I can't even find a website on it! HELP! LOL

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hard Red
Well, as far as body armor goes, I saw a Discovery channel documentary about body armor...specifically, a guy created an extremely bulky yet absolute head to toe suit of armor called the "G-Man Genesis" or the "G-Suit Genesis" If anyone has information on the body armor please post or u2U me or anything. I can't even find a website on it! HELP! LOL

I think this is what your looking for
projecttroy.com.nexx.com...
Robo Cop is right around the corner...

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Perhaps higher powered ultrasonics? Shattering does seem to fit the bill, either way it's very cool if it's true......

top topics

join