It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"If we have any recovery at all, it isn't sustainable"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

KEY QUOTES (At least I found them to be key)

“If we have a recovery at all, it isn’t sustainable,” Kevin Harrington, managing director at Clarium, said in an interview at the firm’s New York offices. “This is more likely a ski-jump recession, with short-term stimulus creating a bump that will ultimately lead to a more precipitous decline later.”

and

Tudor, the Greenwich, Connecticut-based firm started by Jones in the early 1980s, told clients in an Aug. 3 letter that the stock market’s climb was a “bear-market rally.” Weak growth in household income was among the reasons to be dubious about the rebound’s chances of survival, Tudor said.

finally

Horseman, with $4.1 billion under management out of London, was investing in long-term U.S. Treasury bonds. The firm believes interest rates will stay low for longer than the market expects, benefiting the asset class.

“Despite every effort by government in North America and Europe to avoid deflation,” Horseman wrote, “the current numbers suggest they are losing the battle.”

Well, there it is. Of course many of us have been saying this for awhile now, there is simply no way in hell you can just shift debt off to the tax payer, call it "stimulus", and still see bad news item after bad news item and believe that we've actually turned the corner on this recession. Those who are claiming to see all these "green shoots" are either liars or fools (or some combination of the two). Holy hell, the fact that we had gone from a production based economy to a consumer based economy was one of the largest factors causing this damn recession, now we are supposed to buy into the idea that spending the last 9 months as a stimulus economy, with even the average consumer taken completely out of the picture has somehow "saved the economy?" Seriously?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is the same kind of stuff that Peter Schiff has been telling the idiots in MSM. Of course, we have all the shills on TV telling us that everything is getting better.

The shame is that Americans are eating it up without question. Even Ron Paul has pointed out that while AIG and the other corrupt corporations are posting great profits, unemployment and other factors say things are still bad.

Thank you for your post, I think ATS members will be cautious about buying into the lies of pink bunnies and rainbows.... No matter how much the MSM pushes it.

Reality does not agree with what the MSM is saying. How deep does this depression go? Will this be the big collapse?

-Sorry, thinking out loud...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
it only cost us 9 trillion dollars to get to here....

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I don't know. Last year the company I work for was down to a four day week for management. Our manufacturing arm which normally runs 24/7 was down to an eight hour day.We were having trouble paying our vendors and suppliers. I really thought the axe was ready to drop. As of last month the fab is back to 24/7 and we are hiring. I received a 16% raise and a 10% bonus. I am not ashamed of making money. We went through a very lean time and not only recovered but are looking to expand our foreign market. And I get to hire an accounting manager. If our small company can do this I'm sure there are others that can as well. But the advice on this website is to stock up on canned goods and shotguns. Forgive me if I am a little wary of the upcoming economic collapse. What you are basically saying is all our hard work was for naught. I refuse to embrace nihilism.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizan

Um, demand is picking up because there are some confidence in the marketplace. Why? Because the idiot masses believe Jim Cramer's recession is over push.

Boy are they in for a real treat.

top topics

join