It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today I was approached to join the masons.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I smell something rotten in Denmark. As far as I know masons do not recruit. They do not even ask folks to visit their lodges. IN FACT you can not visit a lodge with out special permission or you are a mason.

I called my local lodge once. I asked if I could sit in a meeting. They said they could give me a video but that NO I could not sit in on a meeting.

And like intrepid said. 2b1ask1.

That is the policy. And if you are a really good cowan you can understand the reasoning of the policy.

But you say someone asked you to join... then you say no he only asked you to come down to the local lodge...

Something is fishy.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

are you sure your not a mason? You have a better grasp of the fraternity than quite a few brothers in my lodge.
From the sound of it, you would make a great mason.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I know quite a few Masons don't agree with the practice, but Masons are definitely recruiting: (these commercials have been discussed previously on ATS)

[edit on 2/9/09 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The OP did not say where he lived. In some countries, it is actually required that one be invited to join, so there are no rules against recruitment there.

In the United States, this is generally not the case, and in most states, it's against the rules to ask someone to join (although some Masons do it anyway).

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by born-indigo

You were invited to join the masons, huh ?

Nice, but it's nothing really

I was invited to join Amway

Avon

Scientology

Seventh Day Adventists

Church of Latter Day Saints

the local Gossip Society

Rotary

Lions

the Labour and Liberal parties

I win

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
I smell something rotten in Denmark. As far as I know masons do not recruit. They do not even ask folks to visit their lodges. IN FACT you can not visit a lodge with out special permission or you are a mason.

I called my local lodge once. I asked if I could sit in a meeting. They said they could give me a video but that NO I could not sit in on a meeting.
There's a distinct difference between visiting a lodge and sitting in on a meeting. Most meetings are private. That's correct. There are some portions of some meetings that can be opened to the public, however. In recent memory we've opened outsiders to officer installations, award ceremonies and the presentation of scholarships that we give annually. And as far as I know, most lodges will let you visit the building before a meeting, even give you a tour of the lodge room if you'd like. But once the lodge is opened and tiled, non-Masons are not allowed to enter.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I have kicked around the idea of joining the masons, for some reason I was/am under the impression that you must be 21 when you join, is this true?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Thumb

Yes, in most constitutions, you must be 21 to join.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thumb

I have kicked around the idea of joining the masons, for some reason I was/am under the impression that you must be 21 when you join, is this true?

Depends on where you live. In the USA, some states have the minimum at age at 18, some 19, and some 21.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Those recruiter guys are the bisexual swingers.
They want you.
In their sex cult.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I should give a little backround on my area I guess.

I live in a town of 2500 people, an hour out of a large city, everyone knows everyone. USA This is the town where my family has lived for 150 years. I was raised in the city an hour away but moved here after graduation. The entire town knows my family and knew me before I moved here. So maybe that is why I was asked to come down, they know my family well. What ever the reason I am going down to the lodge after work to talk to them some.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

you must be atleast 21 to join, or you must be 21 to join?

Thanks for the info.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Thumb

You must be 21 (or what ever the age limit may be in your state) before you receive your first degree.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by THX-1138
Those recruiter guys are the bisexual swingers.
They want you.
In their sex cult.
You've got it all wrong. At least where I live, the bisexual swinger sex cult meets on WEDNESDAYs. My Masonic lodge meets on THURSDAYs. Completely different buildings, too. Not sure how you could confuse the two. But if you'd like to join either, I'd be happy to put in a good word for you.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Masonry is a lot of bs fluff nowadays, many many Mason groups have turned into a bunch of young people just looking for a social networking type of fraternity or club. I know two friends personally that are "Masons" and are quite active. It's much more of a social networking activity for them than some sort of charity driven brotherhood organization. I hated fraternities when I was in college and the whole "mason" thing sounds very similar. Why can't people just form a group without calling it some sort of order and all that silly crap. Come to "our lodge" and check us out! LMAO! I used to love how all the greek members used to call each other "brother". LMAO! What the hell any of them really knew about brotherhood was beyond me. Soldiers who rely on each other for survival and life and death are a good example of "brotherhood". But some loud, obnoxious, arrogant binge drinking frat boys running around calling themselves "brothers" and touting "brotherhood" was hilarious. In southern California the whole "mason" thing has become very cliquey. Not saying that's how all Mason associations are but a lot are.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Where do I sign up?
And what are the costs?haha.
Don't you have to be a descendant, or something?

Or Like a birth right, or even a "position of authority"? So much I'd like to learn, but where do you learn it?

I know a 'mason' member. I'd ask him, if he wasn't such a goofball. He's the one the other masons probably make fun of when he isn't there. I know, I grew up with him, and everyone does it. haha.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

are you sure your not a mason? You have a better grasp of the fraternity than quite a few brothers in my lodge.
From the sound of it, you would make a great mason.

Why thank you! I've read 657 Books on both Ancient, Speculative, and Irregular Freemasonry over the years (at last count). Several of my friends are members of Quatuor Coronati Lodge. When we meet, we have all sorts of conversations about various Manuscripts, and over time I learn far more than many just by listening attentively and connecting what is said in conversation with what I have read. I owe the credit to my Masonic friends and cannot take that distinction for myself.

If I had another life to live, or forsook my 3 1/2 hours of sleep a night, I might consider joining the ranks of Masonry myself. However, there is so much to do and so little time. That's probably the reason I still haven't finished my College Degree or any of the 11 books I am in the process of writing.

We all have ways of contributing to society and helping those whom we meet in our daily lives. For many, Freemasonry shows them the way in which they can better themselves and directly provide aid and assistance to those in need, and contribute to the greater good. For others, we can walk the same path without such a Compass as our Guide.

(And to those joking about Bisexual Sex Cults, you are getting Freemasonry confused with the 11th Degree of the Ordo Templi Orientis, O.T.O. And besides, the 11th Degree of the O.T.O. no longer exists as it was disbanded by Hymenaeus Beta many years ago. *WINK*)

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus

We all have ways of contributing to society and helping those whom we meet in our daily lives. For many, Freemasonry shows them the way in which they can better themselves and directly provide aid and assistance to those in need, and contribute to the greater good. For others, we can walk the same path without such a Compass as our Guide.

you are exactly right. One not need be a mason to follow the same path. If you joined when you were pressed for time, it would become more of an annoyance than a pleasurable time. I waited until I had extra time in the schedule to join. Unfortunately it was not me who decided I should have extra time, it was my customers and the economy. but none the less, I have enjoyed it thus far. When you decide to take the plunge and join the ranks of infamous goat herders around the world, let me know.
Have a great day brother.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper
Where do I sign up?

Contact your local lodge or ask a mason in your area.

And what are the costs?haha.

Our dues are $65 a year. I think I paid $100 for initiation.

Don't you have to be a descendant, or something?

Free born, of good moral character, non felon, well recommended, and of you own free will. No bloodline or silly things like that. You can even have pointy ears.

Or Like a birth right, or even a "position of authority"? So much I'd like to learn, but where do you learn it?

Most of the brothers in my lodge are of moderate income. Some truck drivers, a couple guys who cut grass, some electricians, normal folks. there are a couple well off guys, but they act like normal people so they are cool.

I know a 'mason' member. I'd ask him, if he wasn't such a goofball. He's the one the other masons probably make fun of when he isn't there. I know, I grew up with him, and everyone does it. haha.

He might be your best bet to get started. Let me or any other brothers here know if you have any questions.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Vaast
reply to post by born-indigo

You were invited to join the masons, huh ?

Nice, but it's nothing really

I was invited to join Amway

Avon

Scientology

Seventh Day Adventists

Church of Latter Day Saints

the local Gossip Society

Rotary

Lions

the Labour and Liberal parties

I win

Yeah, except that this is a secret societies forum...

Do you really fail to understand why he posted it here and why your own impressive list is somewhat irrelevant?

That's like going to an agricultural conference and laughing at everyone for talking about farming, instead citing your own successful career in stockbroking.

Bizarre.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join