It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe marks anniversary of WWII beginning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Europe marks anniversary of WWII beginning

hosted.ap.or g

GDANSK, Poland (AP) -- On a wind-swept peninsula where shells lobbed from a German battleship ignited World War II 70 years ago, European leaders vowed Tuesday never to forget the lessons of the 20th century's bloodiest conflict.

He said that Poland has a right to "access the truth" about its history - including the murder of some 22,000 Polish officers by the Soviets in the Katyn forest during the war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Many historians see the signing of the Nazi-Soviet pact a week before the hostilities began as a critical development in Berlin's march to war.

The pact, formally a treaty of nonaggression, was signed Aug. 23, 1939, in Moscow by Vyacheslav Molotov and Joachim von Ribbentrop, the foreign ministers of the two countries.

In addition, the treaty included secret protocols that divided eastern Europe into German and Soviet spheres of influence. The Soviet Union attacked Poland from the east sixteen days after the Nazis invaded from the west.

Putin sought to downplay the treaty's importance, saying it was only one factor to be considered in the context of the western powers' appeasement of Hitler, along with agreements signed by other countries with the Nazis, including a Polish-German nonaggression pact.

I didn't know that the Soviet Union is thought by Poland to have contributed to the aggression against its people. I've thought all of my life that Russia was part of the 'good guys' in WWII.

I didn't want to quote the whole article, but I think it's an important read. There is still a lot of animosity between the Polish people and the Soviets, apparently.

The important thing for me in this one is that 70 years ago, a lot of people started dying and they kept on dying for a long time.

A sobering quote from the Prime Minister.

"Remembering the cruelty, remembering the extermination of peoples and nations, is perhaps the most important and most effective shield against the danger of another war," Prime Minister Donald Tusk said in a solemn afternoon ceremony with European and American officials along the waterfront on Westerplatte.

"Nobody in the world who will remember the events here in Gdansk in 1939 and the horrible events around the world in the years that followed ... will ever do anything to allow that nightmare to return."

'Nobody who will remember.'

I'm afraid we might be powerless, as a people, to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past.

hosted.ap.or g
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-9-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Dang, it really has been a long time.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Poland was just a football between two very different ideals. Russias USSR and Germany were posessed by two new concepts, Nazism and Communism, they were so different while so similar much the same, little Poland and a new state at that was just in the middle of this massive created energy

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I agree remembering the past so as to not repeat it is important. Seems People are always making the same mistakes as in a broken record repeating...... Plays into Your timewave scenario. The only ones who can change it, or alter it are the ones acquainted with it........... Kinda makes it wonder why it's not examined by too many
or not....without ignorance control of the masses would be to hard.

S&F

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

I didn't know that the Soviet Union is thought by Poland to have contributed to the aggression against its people. I've thought all of my life that Russia was part of the 'good guys' in WWII.

I didn't want to quote the whole article, but I think it's an important read. There is still a lot of animosity between the Polish people and the Soviets, apparently.

The important thing for me in this one is that 70 years ago, a lot of people started dying and they kept on dying for a long time.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by KSPigpen]

Happy to see you are polishing your knowledge and offering others the same

a lot of countries played a opportunistuc role during that era. Russia realed Poland in and Latvia and Estonia and Lithuania. The Nazis were nasty:
"1943: six million Poles (including three million Jews) are killed in Nazist death camps at Maidanek, Birkenau, and Auschwitz

This is an very interesting list of what happens to both countries in a couple of hundred years.

Timeline Poland and Latvia
I didn't know this: "1648: 200,000 Jews are slaughtered during the Ukrainian Cossak rebellion in Poland-Lithuania
"
Or this:"1655: Sweden invades Poland-Lithuania ("First Northern War"), causing the death of millions, while Russia, Denmark, and the Empireside with Poland-Lithuania
"

The list goes on and on and this is only about these countries. Can you image all the slaughtering in the world going on and on and now we are making popular movies about all this crap and fighting more wars around the world. Which idiot (I am sorry soldiers among you) will still grab his arms after studying history. It is sickening.

"

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haunebu

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, Über alles in der Welt, Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze Brüderlich zusammenhält, Von der Maas bis an die Memel, Von der Etsch bis an den Belt – Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, Über alles in der Welt!

Deutschland, Deutschland over Everything,
Over everything in the entire World,
When its protection and proud brothership bonds together,
from the river Meuse until the river Memel From the Etsch to the Belt (Alps),
Germany, Germany over Everything,
Over Everything in the entire World!

Heil Hitler!!!

BTW, Poland provoked the German Invasion!!!

uh....yeah.

I don't think I even want to get into that debate.

Hitler is dead. In the end, a coward's death for a coward.

That 'germany over everything' thing didn't really work out too well, now did it?

I can't tell you to have respect for the millions of Pole's that died, or the millions of others, but I wish you would.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Haunebu

Eh? I actually know Poland had the bigger hand in provoking that war but the whole 'Heil Hitler' thing is a bit outdated.

Deutschland unter alles in der welt!!! Besonders Russland

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

We can debate here if you like:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haunebu
BTW, Poland provoked the German Invasion!!!

Nazi propaganda gibberish

Gleiwitz incident

Deny ignorance.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
It is interesting that the Soviets played such a role in both starting the WW2 and finishing it! Often forgotten is the atrocities committed by the Soviets.

Regards

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
It is interesting that the Soviets played such a role in both starting the WW2 and finishing it! Often forgotten is the atrocities committed by the Soviets.

Regards

Thats because the winners write history.. and always have.

Its actually that simple.. its sickening.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Not by anyone with eyes to see with, or ears to hear with...and half a brain to go with 'em.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Regards

Perhaps not so much 'forgotten' as never taught. It seems that 'history' certainly does seem to get skewed.
Another revelation that you folks have lead me to, whether you wanted to or not. Seem to be a lot of those around here.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

History always get skewed. People interpret it through the lens of their own biases... That's why we should never trust one source.

new topics

top topics

join