It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you make anything? Personally, I mean 75/25

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Not into the fishing and hunting thing myself, won't be long before a lake gets fished out with a few hundred survivalists on the shores. Not enough animals in the forest to feed thousands of hunters. Lakes will be fished out and forests will be hunted out well within a year.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I can bake, cook, sew, garden, make gifts (origami, jewelry, other crafts), make henna pastes to be used on skin, I can also make hemp jewelry. I can also gather edible plants.

But cooking and baking are the most. I would be up there with making bread, pasta, sauces, all sorts of sweet goods, compound butters, peanut butter, other spreads, etc. Anything.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I've got pretty good survival skills having done a lot of canoe camping...so building shelter, fire, fishing...not hunting though. I can also cook, sew, crochet and knit. I speak english and french, I can read really fast if that is considered a skill...sure helps on ATS.

As far as non-offshorable skills, my husband and I have a small heat treating company. We mainly harden steel parts for small and large companies, the offshore thing is not really an option.

Good thread

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I must be cosmiceggs cousin: diverse and unemployed. I have always enjoyed making things by hand. My brother owns a machine shop and fabricates anything made of metal. I got the other genes and went the artistic way. I paint, draw, engrave, sculpt, make jewelry, work wood, write and compose music. I love outdoor activities like hunting, fishing and gardening. I also enjoy foraging wild foods and using them for medicines. My favorite week was when we ran out of power for 9 days and we had to improvise everything. It was so quiet and peaceful until then power came back on. That was a very sad moment because the stars disappeared when the streetlamps came back on. I'm looking forward to the next hurrincane!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by trusername
Do any of you manufacture anything, at work or at home?

I can make anything from a baby bunting to a wedding dress, a lined vest to a dog coat. And everything in between.
I can make MANY delicious meals. I'm a killer cook. I can make anything.
I have designed and made furniture, a cattery, a cradle, candles, artwork. And I've grown some delicious food.

It's really a shame that we've gotten so far away from the hands-on work that built this country.

How many ATSers can say (and I'm guessing we'll hear from more survivalist forum people than financial crisis people here) that 75% of what they buy - they buy from less than 3 degrees of separation from the people who MAKE it.

Not even close. Even living in a small town where we have small locally-owned stores that make these items available, what we buy from the larger chains for outweighs what we get from the co-op and the herb store. We do know the people at the herb store pretty well, though and we spend quite a lot of money there.

To be honest, I couldn't guess how much we buy that's "made in America". And I certainly don't know the names of the clerks at the grocery store. I don't eat out often, but I don't know them, either.

75/25 (75% no less than 3 degrees of separation from the maker
25% exotic goods... it's really a tricky way to live / shop right now, or is it?

When you put it that way... it's pretty scary.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
In these tough economic times, the upholstery work keeps steady.

My neighbor invited me to learn how to make soap out of goat's milk the next time a woman she knows gives the class. My neighbor is learning how to spin wool. She just got her first sheep. I can definately see us doing stuff together.

I just got an old Singer sewing machine and a new surger. I plan on sewing a lot more clothes. My 15 year old daughter has expressed a serious interest in designing. She has sketched clothing designs for a couple years now. I told her we could go to garage sales and goodwill to get cool fabrics for our projects. We will buy big clothing items and cut them up.

I had a cool dream a couple nights ago involving a quilt. One side of it was leather and it was a very thick quilt, like a saddle blanket. So I might pursue making one of those. This thing should keep a person warm in a blizzard.

There are a lot of talented people here! I'm impressed.

OP, thanks for the seed link! I'm going there now.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by hardamber]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

Well, problem that I ran into was this.

It would take me approximately 2-4 weeks to make a quilt. Alot of time went into making said quilts because I had what could be called a "specialty". Time is money. By the time the quilt was finished, the cost of materials, combined with the labor intensive process meant I had to charge quite a bit to make any money at it.

Let's face it. American's would rather go to Wal-Mart and buy a $25 "bedspread" then spend $500 on a handmade one of a kind designed quilt. While I did make a "living" at it, it was barely a living! Imagine working for a month to make $500-$1000.

The main reason I continued to do it as long as I did was because I LOVED it! Creating unique one of a kind designs for quilts was a blast. Not to mention the hand-dyed fabrics I created to make the quilts. If I had the time I would probably still be doing it as a "hobby". Alas, driving a truck precludes me from having any "extra" time at home! LOL

I could probably make more inexpensive quiltes for $100 bux or so but still, people would rather go to Wal-Mart. Go figure.

And as far as clothing goes, same deal. Not many people are willing to pay "extra" for custom fitted clothing (at least not the "basic" things I could make). I did sew corsets for a while but there's a very "small" market for those and they are very expensive to make. Not to mention in a SHTF scenario, not very useful!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

This is a good site for the Melt & Pour soap base and candle making.

I have bought a lot of items from them and they ship quickly and also have a forum for more questions.
www.kycandlewaxsupply.com...

I have more site's if anyone is interested.

I have to agree - it (most of the time) is not worth trying to sell "handmade" items as the ingrediants, supplies plus the time involved - then the advertising and shipping - most folks (as said above) would rather go to Wal-Mart and buy Cheap.

Also in the State of Florida there are very strict laws about selling any "bath and beauty" products - making it almost impossible to afford the licenses, retail location, business address etc.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well, let's see...

I can grow a garden, build a house, make furniture and cabinets (professional grade), build electronic circuits (from scratch, turn an idea into a working prototype), I have my own machine shop I am learning to operate, I can work with plastic (mostly acrylic, PVC, and polycarbonate so far), fiberglass, epoxy, glass, wood, metals, and even concrete... I can fish and hunt (love fishing, sorta ho-hum about hunting), make a snare trap, make blueprints, wire about anything I want for electricity, fix about anything mechanical, and I'm pretty good at improvising. Last fall I needed a bit of heat in the mornings in my new shop, and I didn't have a heater for it yet. I laid a piece of sheet steel on the floor, set a cinder block on that, and balanced a big steel funnel on top of it. I filled it with wood I had from some clearing and put some paper towels I had used with gasoline and acetate (dried out but they still had residue) in it to start things up, and I had a pretty nice wood heater! The best part is, the funnel is fine, the cinder block is obviously still good, and it didn't hurt the steel underneath either. The hole in the bottom of the funnel made for a perfect draft.

I want to address something that has already been said:

Originally posted by whaaa
I would much rather be in my studio making things but handmade things are not appreciated as they once were.

Is this true?

You've tried selling things on line I suppose? I know it's very hard, but I'm just wondering if you've tried. And at fairs? I'm guessing that's an expensive and time consuming way to sell.

Yep, it's true. And while there are some people who adore handmade quality, there are sooooo many more who consider anything not made in a factory by a multi-billion dollar company to be worthless.

Sad, but true. Why spend the money a real craftsman would need to make a beautiful four-poster bed that will last for generation upon generation, when for a small fraction of the price you can go to some furniture chain and get a presswood model with "real hardwood veneer" (a few thousandths of an inch thick
) that will last for a few years?

Why seek out a cabinet maker to make that bathroom new and exciting, when you can just stop by Lowes and pick up something mande in a machine?

I have considered trying to make and sell lawn furnishings, as in lighting, storage solutions, maybe the occasional gazebo or overhanging trellis, but it just seems like no one appreciates hand craftsmanship anymore...

Maybe the responses on this thread are a good indicator this may be changing some. I just hope it changes enough before the crafts of old are lost.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Furniture; bread, from grain or other starch; sew; cook; sausage; steel fabrication; gas engine know-how; state certified and licensed home builder; re-load ammo; some chemical know-how; gardener; and I'm good to my cats.(if SHTF, I will be happy they are both at least 5 lbs. over weight.)

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LAUGHING-CAT

Great to see so many people know or like to make furniture!

My fat cat looked at me as I was reading this - he's not even worried, cats are soooo cooool.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

This is exactly my concern too - we are losing the skill set as we off shore jobs we off shore expertise and new discoveries and advancements as well. But really we're going to have reinvent so many wheels if everyone who made this stuff 30 years ago retires or can't show us any more.

The US (all developed countries really) need to keep a hand in and combine the trail blazers with the good old know how or we'll be eating the dust of developing nations (which sounds very active and makes developed sound past tense).

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mappam

Yes, the laws and the taxes defeat the dreams, I'm sure. But it's good to know that there are the materials and research out there and available.

Should download it incase it's inaccessible with shtf

Can you think of a way to calm the powers that be about the health worries vs. the advantages to making beauty products small biz style?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I have been a professional craftsman/artisan for over 25 years making furniture, guitars, pottery, metal goods from fine gold jewelry to pewter boxes, leather from sandals to rope soled boots, soap, handmade paper and weavings on a handmade loom.

I would much rather be in my studio making things but handmade things are not appreciated as they once were.

Is this true?

You've tried selling things on line I suppose? I know it's very hard, but I'm just wondering if you've tried. And at fairs? I'm guessing that's an expensive and time consuming way to sell.

I personally would much rather buy things hand made, but I have trouble finding them. Especially paper ... guitars... if you have a web site please u2u me - I'll buy hand made paper from you!

A lot of people actually turn their nose up at handmade stuff and want the mass produced junk. They'll actually complain about something being too pricey, wanting it for basically nothing, and say stuff like "but it's handmade" like the thought disgusts them or something. Drives me bonkers. I'd rather have the handmade stuff too, but so few make stuff these days because people are preferring to buy stuff mass produced.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

My daddy taught me (kicking and screaming at times
) how to work with wood. He preferred to use rabbet joints and dados instead of nails. He also liked using pegs. Some of the furniture he built is still around,. He built me a desk for my birthday one year... the drawers will still slide out with the slight touch of a finger. The top he finished over a week, and to this day it has experienced several different types of epoxy, drops of solder, the edge of many a knife, and general abuse under my hand. I can wipe it down and it still shines. He built a coffee table with two drawers. 35 years later, it is sitting in my house, just as sturdy and strong and yet stylish as it was when he built it out of rough-cut lumber. The stereo cabinet he built was recently given to my sister. The turntable still plays and the speakers still have the same rich, warm sound they had way back when (to date the thing, he added an 8-track player a few years after he built it; they were becoming popular). He did veneer that one unit, because he liked the sound the presswood gave the speakers. The veneer is still holding tight, so tight I dare anyone to guess that is not red oak.

He knew how to work with the wood, and how it would react to years of use. And he knew how to make that wood work together rather than pulling apart. He used to say any monkey could nail boards together; it took a carpenter to make it stay without nails.

I just remembered too, there used to be a show that came on PBS around here called The Woodwright's Shop. It is all about using the old hand tools to make things you would not believe were possible. The host has no power in his shop; even the lights are oil lamps if I remember correctly. I have wished it was still on, but I have also heard rumors it does still air in certain areas. If anyone gets it, and is interested in really learning how to be a master wood craftsman, that dude is awesome! I highly recommend the show!

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cnichols

I think we should put down how long it takes to make something. If things are made with good quality and made to last we should pay for them accordingly.

Kids clothes maybe should be made less expensively since styles change and hand me downs never seem the best solution and kids grow so fast.

some things should just be disposable but so many things should be quality and durable. But it seems like we go to extremes from Louis XIV inlaid mother of pearl snuff boxes to paper napkins.

If I need or want something that I think I'll keep for more than 5 years, I'm willing to pay for the materials and hours at fair wage and 10% more for creativity and convenience.

And I'd like it in return for what I do - I think.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by hardamber

GOATS - I LOVE GOATS we should all have goats in our neighborhood somewhere. Great cheese
And no green waste pile up - auto fertilizer!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dbriefed
Not into the fishing and hunting thing myself, won't be long before a lake gets fished out with a few hundred survivalists on the shores. Not enough animals in the forest to feed thousands of hunters. Lakes will be fished out and forests will be hunted out well within a year.

actually I'm not so sure about that. fish populations might explode if we don't have access to all the power that we use to deplete and pollute everything.

There is a really interesting show called Life After People on the history channel and they talk about the oceans and how resiliant (sp?) they are. Not that we're talking that kind of scenario.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I am from a large southern family. We already know how to survive if we have to and how to make many things from scratch. From medicinal herbs to raising livestock, hunting, sewing, etc.

I don't believe there is anything we could not do or improvise if needed. I live in a very rural area.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I can break a horse to halter ride and hop in a trailer, fix a saddle - Plan to rebuld several but need more room - have the supplies though.
I can bake bread, churn butter, have made cheese, pickles, canned tomatoes.

But I'm in the city right now so have to buy the materials.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join