It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government's latest tool in H1N1 Vaccine program...ELMO (yes that Elmo)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5bbe8f95992b.jpg[/atsimg]

The federal government is reintroducing a powerful weapon in the fight against the H1N1 flu virus: Elmo.

The popular Sesame Street character will be featured in a series of public service advertisements meant to encourage better hygiene among young children, the Department of Health and Human Services announced Tuesday.

In the ads, Elmo teams up with Gordon, another Sesame Street veteran, to stress the importance of basic healthy habits such as frequent hand washing, sneezing into the bend of your arm, and not touching your mouth, nose, and eyes.

The ads were initially rolled out in May, but have now been repackaged to help promote www.flu.gov, the government Web site responsible for posting information regarding the H1N1 virus.

"We are thrilled to partner with Elmo, Gordon, and Sesame Workshop again to emphasize the steps kids and their parents can take to stay happy and healthy this school year," Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement.

"Younger children and their parents are some of the people most at risk from the new H1N1 flu virus and with schools starting back up again and the weather starting to get colder, we need to do everything we can to get these important messages about how to prevent the spread of the flu out there."

"Elmo can be a powerful messenger in delivering simple, yet compelling messages that teach a child to wash their hands and cover their mouth this flu season," Sesame Workshop President Gary Knell said.

www.cnn.com...

So remember kids, get those flu shots and report anyone who hasn't gotten them!
Elmo will love you forever!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Here are the 4 vids released so far
www.flu.gov...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Amazing... simply amazing.

What? No, not the Elmo vids or the fact that the government is using Sesame Street in conjunction with Homeland Security. Amazing contrast between the "outrage" a similar usage of the kids' program generated almost exactly one year ago vs the big *yawn* this item seems to be generating today.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Disaster preparedness and possible terrorist attack was verbotten to be taught to our children, yet this is perfectly acceptable. Huh? and people wonder why I use Rod Serling as my avatar.

Honestly, I got no beef with them using Elmo to teach basic common sense flu prevention measures like washing your hands and covering your sneeze. If, however, they bring vaccinations to the table, they can kiss every square inch of my ass and they better pack a lunch because they're gonna be there all day.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Omg, how horrible.. how dare they employ cute and popular kids avatars to try and entice children to employ better hygiene!

Could you possibly sensationalize any further than you are? I'd say no, probably not.

It's a GOOD THING to teach kids to WASH and cover their mouths and be hygienic. It's not evil, I promise.

The moment there is a commercial where Elmo says "Ok kids, go tell your parents that you want to go get the flu shot, because Elmo will be your friend if you do!" then come and talk to me. Otherwise, stop the ludicrous fear-mongering and sensationalist crap for the sake of it. Holy crap... there is NOTHING the government, Federal or local could do, that would not be considered evil and horrible by many of you, is there. How pathetic.

top topics

join