It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retail Sales Fall During Back To School Shopping Season (That's very very bad!) Part 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Last week I posted this thread here: Retail Sales Fall During Back To School Shopping Season (That's very very bad!)

Now we have these numbers:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa22581af682.png[/atsimg]

In short: Back to school sales are supposed to be aprofitable time of the year. The signs are telling us consumers arnt spending.

In our economy, where it's a consumer economy... thats BAD.

Here's The Market Ticker on the subject...

[edit on 9/1/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Retail chains show lackluster receipts for August, defying traditional back-to-school strength. Stores geared toward style-minded teens fare worst.

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Retailers posted mixed August sales Thursday, with budget-conscious consumers continuing to favor lower-priced retailers and those carrying food and consumables over apparel and department stores.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yes it does sound bad. I overheard a woman telling her children that they had to use last years back pack. She told them she barely had enough money to buy their school supplies.
It is a sad state of affairs,not so much for retailers,my concern is for the people who are just scrapping by as it is.
Change we can believe in takes on a whole new meaning when your pockets are empty.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Well but lets face it the cash for clunkers program was a success, so I guess parents decided than rather to spend money on the newest trends for the children they just went for the new car instead.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
[edit on 3-9-2009 by truth/seeker]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by truth/seeker

It's not a question of lower prices in some of these stores. Its the fact that people dont need stylish clothes compared to the need of food and shelter.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by truth/seeker

I don't know what lower is in your neck of the woods, but I am having a heck of a good time shopping in stores like Macy's, JcPenny, Sears and all the above in the same category, they have sells that you can not ignore.

At least in my neck of the woods here in Ga..

new topics

top topics

join