It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thirteen Goals of a Witch

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

What religion, the only religion that wants the end times so they can be raptured and be with Jesus?

Who else according to the bible hates man and also wants to bring the end?

Islam speaks of end times, even Buddhism and Hinduism.

Hindu eschatology

Contemporary Hindu eschatology is linked in the Vaishnavite tradition to the figure of Kalki, or the tenth and last avatar of Vishnu before the age draws to a close, and Shiva simultaneously dissolves and regenerates the universe.

Most Hindus acknowledge as part of their cosmology that we are living in the Kali Yuga (literally "age of darkness"), the last of four periods (Yuga) that make up the current age. Each period has seen a successive degeneration in the moral order and character of human beings, to the point that in the Kali Yuga where quarrel and hypocrisy are prevalent. Often, the invocation of Kali Yuga denotes a certain helplessness in the face of the horrors and suffering of the human condition and a nostalgia for a golden past or a future salvation.

However, Hindu conceptions of time, like those found in other non-Western traditions, is cyclical in that one age may end but another will always begin. As such, the cycle of birth, growth, decay, death, and renewal at the individual level finds its echo in the cosmic order of all things, yet affected by the vagaries of the comings and goings of divine interventions in the Vaishnavite belief.

Most Hindus believe that Shiva will destroy the world at the end of the kalpa. Some Shaivites hold the view that he is incessantly destroying and creating the world.

en.wikipedia.org...
One of the oldest faiths.

Mara lord of death is best known for his part in the historical Buddha's enlightenment. This story came to be mythologized as a great battle with Mara, whose name means "destruction" and who represents the passions that snare and delude us.
buddhism.about.com...

Malek Taus

Yazidis - Devil Worshippers of the Near East?

A Look at Yazidis, Their Practices and Beliefs Today
A mystical and secretive religion found in the mountains of northern Iraq, the Yazidis have been persecuted for their beliefs for hundreds of years. There within Iraq, the Yazidis hold beliefs both controversial and unusual to the outside world. A religion with elements of the Abrahamic
(Islam, Christianity, Judaism), Dharmic (Vedism, other Hindu Sects) and ancient Iranian religions and philosophies, the Yazidis can be said to be both a mixture of faiths and a faith of it's own.

Beginnings

It is debatable as to whether or not Yazidism is a pre-Islamic religion or had arrived after Islam as a heretical radical Shiite sect. Yazidis often claim their religion to be the oldest religion in the world and have no affiliation with Islam. The tradition is claimed by most other historians to have existed thousands of years before Islam, during the time of another famous holy man, Abraham.

www.associatedcontent.com...

I believe they are one of the oldest myself maybe even passed down from Sumerian cults

Some Christians, Muslims and others identify Tawûsê Melek as Lucifer or Shaytān (Satan). The Yazidis' cultural prohibition against uttering the word – saying God's name is blasphemy, as in Judaism – does not make the situation easier. Tawûsê Melek is "God's Angel", and this is how Yazidis themselves see him.[1]

Because the Yazidis are a minority religion, they have suffered much persecution, with some pogroms against them nearly wiping out their religion. This has caused them to disguise their religion in the trappings of mainstream Islam.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

The Gods of the old religions were similar to humans. They had their flaws and their good qualities. When Christianity came around, they introduced an all-good deity. Therefore, there had to be an all-bad deity.. excuse me - all-bad "fallen angel" to focus the prayers and beliefs of the people to God. Sin was a concept introduced to indicate that all humans are born sinners. Very doom and gloom stuff going on there. Jesus was later introduced as the 'redeemer of all mankind's sins for eternity.'

as in my last post the bad deity has been around forever.

"My king, Lord Ningišzida, imbued with great savage awesomeness! Hero, falcon preying on the gods, my king -- dignified, with sparkling eyes, fully equipped with arrows and quiver, impetuous leopard, murderous, howling [muš ḫuššu], [……] "

"dragon [ušumgal] snarling (?) in the lagoon, raging storm [reaching] .. all people!"

416-423. O Der... , taking extreme care of decisions, ……, on your awesome and radiant gate a decoration displays a horned viper [Ušum/bašmu] and a mušḫuš [Muš huššu] embracing. Your prince, a leader of the gods, fit for giving counsel and grand speech, the son of Uraš who knows thoroughly the true divine powers of princeship, Ištaran, the …… sovereign of heaven, has erected a house in your precinct, O E-dim-gal-kalama (House which is the great pole of the Land), and taken his seat upon your dais.

424. 8 lines: the house of Ištaran in Der.

etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
OP, good thread! I had intended to read to the end before commenting &, when I have, I'll put some thoughts together regarding the craft etc., but for now I just have to address this:

reply to post by vcwxvwligen

If you truly believe that going sky-clad is a way of being more connected to "nature," then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Well, since we are part of nature, it is impossible to actually be "more connected", but since many of us live the bulk of our lives in urban environments, surrounded by technology, with what evidence of living things besides ourselves kept neatly regimented, getting out into the wilds & being naked there, ie in our most natural state, certainly helps with feeling "more connected".
Many dont strip, but I find that sky-clad gets me in the right frame of mind much quicker than, for eg spending the whole day in meditation. Sometimes, I dont have a whole day free. Other times, depending on weather & participants, its just not appropriate, in which case a rite or working may be more centred on human matters.
If you dont understand that, I wouldn't buy anything from you, literally or figuratively.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

Some scholars claim that Lucifer was a symbol of a king of Babylon, but I believe that it's describing the planet Venus as it moves through the night sky.

King James Bible
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

Rev.22
[16] I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Job 38
The LORD Speaks
1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:

2 "Who is this that darkens my counsel
with words without knowledge?

3 Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.

4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.

5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?

6 On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone-

7 while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels [a] shouted for joy?

Also in the Hebrew there is evidence that at one time , there was both masculine and feminine, the the Shekinah, holy spirit , comforter.

Ancient spell may be oldest Semitic text Phrases designed to repel snakes from tombs of Egyptian kings
www.ancient-hebrew.org...

JERUSALEM - A magic spell to keep snakes away from the tombs of Egyptian kings, adopted from the Canaanites almost 5,000 years ago, could be the oldest Semitic text yet discovered, experts said Tuesday.

The phrases, interspersed throughout religious texts in Egyptian characters in the underground chambers of a pyramid south of Cairo, stumped Egyptian experts for about a century, until the Semitic connection was found.

In 2002 one of the Egyptologists e-mailed the undeciphered part of the inscription to Richard Steiner, a professor of Semitic languages at Yeshiva University in New York. Steiner discovered that the phrases are the transcription of a language used by Canaanites at some point in the period from 25th to the 30th centuries B.C.

"This is the oldest connected text that we have in any Semitic language," Steiner said in a telephone interview while visiting Israel to present his findings in a lecture sponsored by the Academy of the Hebrew Language. The previous oldest Semitic text dates from the 24th century B.C., Steiner said.

www.pyramidofman.com...

But in 2002 a colleague asked Richard Steiner, a professor of Semitic languages and literature at New York’s Yeshiva University, if the texts might be Semitic.

“I immediately recognized the Semitic words for ‘mother snake,’” Steiner said at a recent lecture at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, where he presenting the findings.”

“Later it became clear that the surrounding spells, composed in Egyptian rather than Semitic, also speak of the divine mother snake and that the Egyptian and Semitic texts elucidate each other,” he added.

www.redicecreations.com...

"How art thou fallen from heaven,
O Lucifer, son of the morning!

YOU WALKED UP AND DOWN
IN THE MIDST OF THE STONES OF FIRE...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

That is one way of twisting.

But in reality, you can't be pure to others till you can be pure yourself. It follows along the lines of: clean your own house first.

I would trust a pagan over anyone else any day, because they have cleaned their own house first.

You can follow all those rules you set, and still have a mean deceitful person on the inside who are merely following a list of conduct, instead of actually living it.

You can't show someone else peace, if you can't be peaceful yourself.

You can't love someone else, unless you love yourself.

You can't teach someone else, unless you have taught yourself.

This is just one list. Many sects have their own beliefs and rules. Usually teh biggest one is that you take care of the Earth.

Because the God/Gods/Goddesses gave us a home, and it is disrespectful to trash it.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The "13 goals" can be applied to live a healthy positive life. It definitely sounds spiritual. I don't see anything bad about it. Hollywood has this funny thing of making something so normal seem soo bad.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
In response to a suggestion made by missvicky, I have created a thread called The Pagan's Corner on BTS. I hope to see all you Pagans there and look forward to some intelligent, non-flaming discussion on the subject.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Cool! Posted on page 13 here too... No such thing as synchronicity tho, there's just NO EVIDENCE I TELL YA! None nada zip zilch! You're all just deluded!
I wish you'd put that new thread here in the same forum as this.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Re: OP
I think its no wonder Cunningham's list of goals makes a lot of sense to many of us. As Byrd said, they were written pretty recently, for people looking for an alternative spiritual path to trad religion & who also grew up in a more individualistic culture than, for eg, those who read Gardner when he 1st published. Gardner's work is very coven oriented & places more significance on hierarchic degrees of initiation than authors since.
In a way its like the schism that eventually created the Society of Friends out of previous Christian sects. Except that everything I've read seems to suggest that Wicca/The Craft has always contained a great deal of latitude for individuals & covens to define their own beliefs & rites without calling each other a heretic. Still, we dont know much, if anything, about ancient practices, so who knows?
We can see the beginnings of the mystery, led by higher initiates, moving in the direction of disclosure & what has become "Eclectic Wicca" tho as far back as the Farrars' works, with their publishing the BOS & their whole style of inclusivity & suggestion making. For me, thats a really attractive thing in trying to find my own spiritual path. Rather than a list of do's & donts, like a roadmap saying go this way from A to B, Wiccan texts seem more like a travelogue: these are places we went & we found them to be [insert description]; you make your own itinerary. Particularly since we are dealing with the ineffable here. How can 1 person tell another they know something is the right way? Worse, how can doing so not actually hinder people from finding a genuine spiritual experience of their own, if all outside the dogma is repudiated & often villified?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. Many people do not realize these things about most practitioners of the Craft and they are wonderful words to live by. Blessed Be!

s.
"I have been fond of the stars for far too long to ever fear the Night." epitaph on a grave...Bonaventure Cemetery, Savannah GA.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

LOL My bad! I apologize, but sometimes sarcasm free ignorance can get to me....

But yes, now I do get your post...hehe

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

It would probably just get moved by the Mods. BTS is a little more civilized anyway. Besides, gives you a chance to get some BTS points!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

What was meant by my statement was not the belief in the end.

It is the fact that a large portion of evangelical Christians are right not wanting the end times. They are right now doing things far and wide, from the elite to the very poorest of them to end mankind.

This is not the work of the creator. This is the work of the destroyer.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Any religion that uses the books of moses and calls God a he is wrong. The orginal word used in the books of moses for God is a genderless word.

Don't worry though I read this morning that the most popular bible is going to under go some changes such as they will no longer be Sons of God in the bible but Children of God. Little things like that are upsetting many people.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
Modern witches are pleasant enough, with their ideals and apparent respect of nature, etc...

...until they go into a full-blown rant of how they hate christians, hate religion, hate christmas, hate this, hate that.

Most of the Pagans I know have no problem with Christians...so long as the Christians are "behaved"

Hate religion? umm. oxymoron.

Hate Christmas? most give their kids gifts from santa. It was a pagan holiday (holy day) for them first. They also dress up as goblins and such for samhain with the kids. Pagans are VERY kid oriented. We LOVE our babies and anyone elses!

You find a Pagan thats anti-christmas, anti-"halloween", or anti most mainstream holidays and you will find a very unhappy warped soul.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

You are born into some thing but what I'm not sure. If you are a child and have psychic abilities and are of the a bible based faith you are either working miracles or possessed by some demon. You can probably guess what it is they claim is going on with you.

It does seem to run in families for some reason. It doesn't actually skip a generation but the generation between doesn't seem to be as gifted as the one before it or the one after it.

Gifted people do seem to have to search for other belief systems to figure out how to control or finely tune their gifts.

I also believe many of these people that choose to except the abilities they have and not hide from them seem to end up in a belief system of one because they know that no one belief system is totally right and no one belief system is totally wrong.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

Thats right you have to not look at the total picture just look at the part that concerns you and your wants to believe no one gets hurt. Someone pays the piper for your song. It might be years down the road and you never know but someone does.

Even if the other person got a better job wouldn't that mean the employer got hurt by not getting the best qualified person? Or a customer of that employer.

Thats why it could be maddening that big picture is so dang big.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by brightlight

I'm glad man - lol - I was like.... holy crap I just opened a can of worms.....

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

I am inclined to believe it is an ability we all have. Just some of us get forced or convinced to turn it off and put the power of their belief towards other so called "truths". Saying someone was born into it and thusly "special" has always seemed a little egotistical to me. And the only reason you see familar lines is because of the tradition within that particular family in believing they can do whatever. But that is of course just my opinion not undeniable fact.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

I dunno, I can't speak for anyone else...but I didn't live until I buried a carved up potato in the damp ground on a moonlit night with my bare hands.

Call me whatever you want to. Witch fits so I wear it.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join