It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father captures mysterious flash speeding across the sky on his camera phone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Father captures mysterious flash speeding across the sky on his camera phone

u2w3.com

Is it a bird, is it a plane or is it... a meteor?

Well, one member of the public couldn't believe his eyes when he saw this strange glowing ball speeding across the sky as he was taking his son to the park.

Quick-thinking Matthew Pinless was able to whip out his camera phone and snap the 'speeding red light' as it burnt through Earth's atmosphere above Cheltenham.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Have done a search and could not see this posted anywhere - mods delete/move if it exists...

This is a nice snap from sunny UK of an object speeding past during the day.

I assume meteorite but who knows what it could be......as, for someone to get their camera phone out and take snap would mean it was travelling slower than a meteor would normally travel? Experts please step in..... I guess if he had it armed and ready then sure you could do it , but from the article it sounds like it was in view for a little while. If that is the case then it's odd - very odd (or photoshopped).

u2w3.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Images fromt the article

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Daytime fireballs have been captured on film, even before the day of cell phone cameras.
apod.nasa.gov...

[edit on 9/1/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Very nice indeed and very likely exactly what it is.....

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i remember the 1972 event, the family was coming home from a camping outing, and it passed directly overhead.
And that picture doesnt do it any justice.
It lit up the inside of the car so much, it woke me up, just in time to see it dissapear over the sierra nevada mtns, i seem to remember it made a fair amount of noise too.

There was a large nightime meteor about 13-14 years ago that passed over head and made a spectacular display, it lit up the whole sky for several seconds, before it exploded over the sierra nevada.
The next day as I was driving to work just before dawn I could see a single column of smoke rising from the high country of sequoia Nat. Park, from a small fire that mysteriously started that night,I believe it was from the impact of a small fragment. I didnt really think anything of it at that point till I was reading Sci Am and a researcher was asking for anybody whom might have seen where it broke up, i think they had it on radar.
Anyway I wrote him and told hm about seeing it explode and the general vicinity(pretty large extremely rugged area) whereI saw the smoke.

I dont know if they ever recovered any fragments.
My buddy and I found a small meteor on a hiltop in the mtns.
It had even made a little crater in the sand.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
MMM....well, if it was a sundog it was certainly wasn't "speeding"
. Sundogs remain in place in the sky. It's nothing but ice at high
altitude, usually preceding a rain-bringing front (weather forecasting
tip). Same goes for rings around the moon. Precipitation is
coming. Anyways the streak going "behind" it certainly unique,
I've never seen one quite like that.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
It's not a meteor. It's a Sun-dog.

If you look at the photos of real day-time fireballs that Phage linked to, and compare to Sun-dog photographs, they do not look the same. Day-time fireballs will always have a very bright almost point-like head, and Sun-dogs look diffuse.

Once again, someone looks at a stationary phenomena, and interprets it as "fast moving" *sigh*..

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I've never seen one quite like that.

Every Sun-dog is different. Nature is like that, never repeating the exact same thing twice.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
im curious since all other objects clearly show falling...this one travelling

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52500a4e6c05.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Really? Are you sure of that?

I suppose these Sundogs are "travelling" too then?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Those sun dogs don't look anything like the other pictures. And no they don't look like they are traveling. They look stationary in my opinion. Look at the tails. Pretty poor argument. Not saying the OP picture is not a sun dog but your pictures are pretty weak considering your speaking with such a sense of authority. Same goes for Phage as well. Could be........may not be. Let's just leave it at that. No one is implying it's an alien or some sort of UFO so why the sense of authority?

Look at the tail of the OP pic and your sun dog pictures for comparison.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The OP picture is a sundog. The other pictures look similar but lack the rainbow effect of a sundog. Phage's pics are day time meteors. I'm guessing that the streak behind the OP pic is just an opportunely placed bit of cloud.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Look again...

Note how Sundogs usually have a red color on the side that is closest to the sun (at the bright end), and also that all Sundogs are horizontal (more or less)...

Also as I said before, Sundogs usually appear much more diffuse than photographs of meteors. The differences are very obvious once you know what to look for.

It's also extremely rare that day-time meteors are photographed. Usually there is not time to even raise the camera before they are gone.

Edit: Also look at the tails of the meteors that Phage posted and compare with the Sundogs. Meteor tails are all perfectly straight, clearly defined, and "solid" in appearance. Sundogs are not. Search for more photographs of meteors (night time shots are more common), and you will see that this is nearly always the case.

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

[edit on 2-9-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
im curious since all other objects clearly show falling...this one travelling

Just for the record. You can not tell from a still photograph which direction an object is moving, or even if it's falling. In fact, even with video footage it is often hard to tell.

Not all meteors are "falling". Some "graze" the atmosphere, like stones skipping on a pond, but depending on where the observer is watching from, a meteor like this (any meteor in fact), can appear to move in any direction.

Remember, Earth and it's atmosphere is curved, and not flat, so for someone watching the same meteor as you from a couple of hundred km away, a meteor might appear to fall downwards, but to you, it may appear to shoot upwards and away from the horizon.

top topics

join