It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War is not a video game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The military's marketing machine gives potential recruits science fiction instead of the bloody reality of war

A very good look at the propaganda machine spinning its gears.

Aug. 29, 2009 | I'm a video game geek, so as I sat through movie previews a few weeks ago, I was sure I was watching Nintendo ads.

There on the cinema's screen was a super-sleek plane flying over a moonscape while communicating with an orbiting satellite. In the next moment, a multicolored topographical map, orders being barked — and in my own mind, memories of "Call of Duty" graphics. And then, finally, two guys in front of a computer console, and the jarring punch line: "It's not science fiction; it's what we do every day," said the bold type, followed by a U.S. Air Force symbol.

You KNOW you've seen these adds.

Before giving the audience a chance to digest the slogan, it was onto another montage, this one of helicopters and explosions with 1970s music playing in the background. A preview for a Steve McQueen-themed game, I thought. Then, though, the familiar kicker: "The drones fight terrorism and protect America, and in the process, they keep the front lines unmanned," said the voiceover, adding, "This isn't science fiction; this is life in the United States Navy."

That is RICH! 'the DRONES fight terrorism and protect America.'

During this, one of the bloodiest months in the Afghanistan war, the spots promote a somewhat comforting, if disturbingly misleading, message — and it is aimed not just at potential soldiers, but also at the public at large.

More broadly, the American psyche's slow progress toward an increasingly peaceful disposition could be stunted by the propaganda's powerful paradox: While sanitizing ads play to the country's growing disgust with militarism, they could ultimately lead us to be more supportive of militarism. How? By convincing us that violence can be just another innocuous expression of adolescent technophilia.

If we end up thinking that, we will have once again forgotten what all wars, even the justifiable ones, always are: lamentable human tragedies.

The effort to dumb down and desensitize war to the American people is not going unnoticed. I thought this piece was insightful. As soon as I began reading it, I was reminded of the completely 'over the top' propaganda made fun of in 'Starship Troopers.' You should watch that movie again, just for the patriotism angle.

Just in case you've never seen it, or don't want to, here are some clips for you.

CAUTION! THIS ONE HAS A LITTLE GORE!

We get to the point with our REAL propaganda that it is as recognizable and ridiculous as the stuff that is SUPPOSED to be ridiculous and recognizable. Makes a person wonder.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

This is the glorified video that always caught my attention at the beginning of movies.

But on the note of Video games, there's America's Army - a free to play combat game (which was released by the Pentagon).

www.americasarmy.com...

Of course, if you want more... there's always the Army Experience Center: www.thearmyexperience.com...
Pictures: www.thearmyexperience.com...

[edit on 9/2/09 by Angry Danish]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Angry Danish

Thanks for your contribution, AD.

When I first read the article, it made me think of some older commercials that used to play for the military here in the states.

'We don't ask for experience, we give it...you won't ask for adventure..you'll live it..." all to a really catchy tunes of course....

and then...'it's not just a job...it's an ADVENTURE!'

sign me up.

join