It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President gets flu briefing, hosts Ramadan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

What is your complaint? The Ramadan Dinner is in the private residence. You said yourself that that's OK. So, what is the problem?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Personally, I could care less. His mother-in-law can practice witchcraft, he can practice Islam, his wife can practice Be-Yatch - whatever!
The only request I have is that we continue to be the Judeo-Christian country that were founded as and that the damned liberals stop with all of the secularist crap!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
As in all my other Religious Commentary, I will say again that the US has very few "Christians." By definition, Christians are as radical as any Muslim. If they follow the teaching of Christ, then they must believe that Jesus is the ONLY way to salvation. Extrapolating from that core belief, everyone else is going to hell unless they repent and accept Jesus.

Most so-called Christians DO NOT believe that core concept, so they are NOT Christians. This includes Barack! He is also not a Muslim! None of us are what we say we are! We are Agnostics or Deists or Undecideds or just plain ol' LOST!

Sure, Barack overstated his Religious tendencies plenty during the election, so did all the other candidates. But, he has plenty of chinks in his armor, there is really no need to speculate on his religion when we haven't reconciled our own!!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I am all for the seperation of church and state. But the white house has always been a little seperate from that.

Besides, I see Christmas as a national holiday. And a Christian holiday for the Christians.

I am not even remotely christian but how the white house decorates at christmas time is incredicble. I visit the national and capital christmas trees. It is beautiful time of year in DC.

All presidents have always done this. So why is this an issue now?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Hmmm...when you put it THAT way, I'm not sure WHAT my complaint is. Maybe I was just venting.
I think my problem might have been the fact that the Ramadan event was one line mentioned after the flu briefing note.
It seems like such an act of tolerance or embracing a religion or hosting its ceremonies would have made bigger news.
I don't remember ever reading about any other president hosting Ramadan ceremonies before.
I don't hate obama. I'm not any more of a racist than HE is.
I don't believe Chritianity is the only true religion. I have argued in favor of Muslim tolerance on more than one occasion and will continue to do so.
If a man says he's a Muslim then he is being honorable and forthright. If he claims to be a Muslim but secretly practices something else, he is being dishonest.
If Obama is a Muslim, good for him. If he's a Muslim and pretends NOT to be, so that his political career is safeguarded, he's not being honest with us or himself.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
In all fairness Obama also hosted a Passover-Seder dinner back in April. I understand what people are saying about no longer being able to display religious material during Christmas however.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Wait a minute...Obama is making himself look like a radical Muslim sympathizer.
He doesn't care what any of you say about him .
He just continues to make people think the very worst of him and he goes on his merry arrogant way.
I said in posts BEFORE he was elected that there would be no more Christmas in the White House .
We'll see, we'll see.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by MagicaRose]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
The only request I have is that we continue to be the Judeo-Christian country that were founded as and that the damned liberals stop with all of the secularist crap!

What the hell are you babbling about?

This nation was founded as a Secularist haven for people of all religions. There is a reason 'separation of church and state' is a part of the Constitution.

Also, the majority of the founding fathers were Deists, not Christians. Look it up.

Originally posted by MagicaRose

Wait a minute...Obama is making himself look like a radical Muslim sympathizer.

You are aware that all Muslims celebrate Ramadan, right? Or are you implying that all Muslims are radical?

I guess Obama is also a radical Jew supporter, and a radical Christian supporter as well? Or are you only stereotypically biased against Muslims?

That's what I thought.

On a related note, does anyone else find it ironic that Obama is celebrating a month of fasting by holding a dinner party? Perhaps he is not as in tune with his 'supposed Muslim faith' than some on this site continue to believe...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

He's all of the above.

I'm not a Christian but like the other poster said Christmas is a tradition in the White House.

It is a beautiful place at Christmas.

I would really hate to see that disappear.

By the way, didn't Michelle Obama say her husband was going to "Change" our traditions?

I think she did say that.

Like I said, we'll just have to wait and see.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by MagicaRose]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Yo, KSPigpen ...

You've let BH and others derail your thread.

You have to be careful, because they're very good at it.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

That is just it. He has been promoting about peace in the middle east.

Also, it wouldn't be fair to celebrate Jewish and Christian holidays and not give a nod to the Muslim religion. There is a decent amount of muslims in the US.

I am not Catholic, but I can appreciate the beauty of a cathedral.

Look how many people embrace practices of the east: belly dancing, meditation, yoga. Doesn't make them buddhists.

All the ones I have met have been the most curteous, gracious people you could ever meet. His father was muslim. I don't think it is unfair to pay a little tribute to that.

Americans always partake in non traditional celebrations. Cinco de Mayo. St. patty's day, etc.

If you ever do go see the National Christmas tree, it is a bid tado. It is swarming with people. Most of them foreign. Far more then Americans. And there are plenty of Muslims, Hindus, and every walk of life you can imagine who come to see it.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
On a related note, does anyone else find it ironic that Obama is celebrating a month of fasting by holding a dinner party? Perhaps he is not as in tune with his 'supposed Muslim faith' than some on this site continue to believe...

Their month of 'fasting' is only during the day. Fasting ends at sundown.

Is the dinner more of a lunch? Otherwise, I don't find it ironic at all.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Anybody else find it a bit strange that we are ragging on Obama for actually trying to promote some tolerance for Muslims in a world where they've been demonized for a decade?

I mean let's face it folks we are pretty ignorant to them and about them. Even myself, I have some pre conceived notions about those people that make me look like a KKK member from Louisiana.

I don't want to have them, yet I can't seem to find information about them that is positive in the media or any other public setting. I mean I don't like Obama's policies, I think he's not being very good at running the country.

However I will not slander him for attempting even if just a little to help people get rid of their jaded and prejudice notions about Muslims.

Would we be reacting the same if he was celebrating any other religion's holiday?

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I think this has turned into a nice and reasonable discussion that I and others are enjoying, instead of the usual, hate filled mongering.

I think your the one who is trying to derail it.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Yo, KSPigpen ...

You've let BH and others derail your thread.

You have to be careful, because they're very good at it.

Hehe. no worries mate.

Sometime a thread is like a child. We bring them into this world, give them a little love and watch them go on their own merry way.

I love Christmas, the smell of poverty, the desperation of unfulfilled expectations. I'm sure Ramadan is an awesome exercise of faith.

It just struck me as really odd...I don't remember anyone ELSE hosting it in the White house....but hell, I don't really ever remember anyone protesting loudly his Christianity to get elected and then turn out to be something completely different. It just really kind of seems like 'lying' to me.

a hard-core Christian is going to be as reluctant to accept Islam as a hard-core Muslim is going to be at accepting Christianity.

Mr. Myagi said,"Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later get squish just like grape."

Some say that Jesus said this, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

You can maybe figure the source of this one out yourselves if you're interested. "Allah will taunt the Christians in hell, saying: Where are all my partners that you used to believe in?"

Christianity and Islam CANNOT coexist. They are mutually exclusive.

if our leader is claiming to support both, he is lying to ALL of us.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I disagree with you friend.

Only about the two not being able to co-exist. They certainly can. Islam does not call for the death of Christians in their texts and neither does Christianity against Islam.

It's the people who can't cooexist not the religion. Let's not blame something that can be used for good in a society where people are actualyl mindfull of each other.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

And your contribution to the topic is??? I've been posting about nothing but the topic.

I disagree, too. Different religions CAN and DO coexist. And with Obama showing respect to the different religions of our nation, he is being inclusive. Even though he is a Christian, he understands that other people's religions are to be respected and honored. I admire him for showing respect to ALL the religions of the country.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Perhaps Barack Hussain Obama...is muslim?

Maybe hes an extreme muslim...

I think i'm onto something here.... >.>

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Probably a poor, emotionally reactive choice of words on my part. They HAVE 'co-existed' for centuries. I suppose what I really meant was that BOTH have dogma that claims they are the only truth, or the only way to heaven, or that anyone NOT ascribing to their views is an infidel or doomed to hell.

Case in point:

Al-Araf
Those who reject Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), We shall gradually seize them with punishment in ways they perceive not. (182)

Jesus was also asked, How can we know the way? Jesus answered, I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE. No one comes to THE FATHER, but by ME. (John 14:6)

The PEOPLE can 'tolerate' each other, but what good is tolerance when it is no more than the perception of superiority by either?

Tolerance, could certainly be considered co-existence, so I stand corrected, but when each thinks the other will burn in hell for not believing as THEY do, is that really what it's all about?

With underlying dogma, is it EVER possible to accept each other as brothers?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

You know, if Hussein wants to host a Ramadan thing, and Easter thing, A Passover thing in HIS BORROWED portion of the whitehouse, that should be fine.

You just showed your (ignorant) hand

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join