It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mythbusters Blocked From Revealing RFID Myths

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Not really a massive conspiracy... I mean, it's the kind of thing one would expect to happen if one is going to criticise a piece of technology that TPTB are allegedly going to be using to enforce the new world order. Anyway, thought some may find it an interesting read...

Oh and before the thread turns into a list of people's opinions on Mythbusters... we all know what Mythbusters are so let's not go there.

Adam continues, “I got chills just as I described it. They were way way out-gunned and they absolutely made it clear to Discovery they were not going to air this episode talking about how hackable this stuff was and Discovery backed way down, being a large corporation who depends upon the revenue of the advertisers. Uh, and now it’s on Discovery’s radar and they won’t let us go near it. So I’m sorry. It’s just one of those things, but man, that was.. Tory still gets a little white when he describes that phone conversation.”

While typically an RFID chip used in a credit card, for example, is designed to be read from only a short distance away, some believe as far as 40-feet away is possible. There are also concerns that the data encryption and other means of added security given to some RFID chips may be vulnerable.

Adam Savage says in the issued statement, "There’s been a lot of talk about this RFID thing, and I have to admit that I got some of my facts wrong, as I wasn’t on that story, and as I said on the video, I wasn’t actually in on the call."

He continues, "Texas Instruments’ account of their call with Grant and our producer is factually correct. If I went into the detail of exactly why this story didn’t get filmed, it’s so bizarre and convoluted that no one would believe me, but suffice to say...the decision not to continue on with the RFID story was made by our production company, Beyond Productions, and had nothing to do with Discovery, or their ad sales department."

www.tomshardware.com...

Related threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Video here too:

[edit on 1-9-2009 by and14263]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by and14263

I haven't watched the attached youtube video but its quite simple why they won't do the episode in my opinion.

They simply won't air an episode that reveals technical vulnerabilities about a system used in payment, passports etc

Suppose it would be like airing a documentry on creating home made bombs...

What is worrying though is that RFID technology is that insecure and open to abuse.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It was bound to happen eventually! I have been surprised at the things they have aired, and that they have gotten assistance from inside sources and government agencies. These guys are really good at getting experts with inside knowledge to help them. With that said, it shows just how volatile/scary/controlling this RFID issue is!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

They do air plenty of episodes about making homemade bombs! Homemade Thermite, Gun Cotton, Rocket Fuel, etc, etc. Sure, they bleep out a couple of the main ingredients, but they let you know that the formulas are readily available on the internet!!

So, RFID vulnerability or conspiracy must be more dangerous than rocket fuel and thermite!!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

True good point, I never thought of it like that.

I've watched quite a few episodes of MythBusters and your right they do cover danger things, think I've seen the Thermite one.

Why would you think a RFID vulnerability would be that dangerous?

Because of the massive potential to be abused maybe?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It is not more dangerous, it is just very easy to exploit, that is why they were gagged. Besides, if you really want to know how to commit fraud with RFID stuff it is only a quick search away. The big banks who rely on this bogus tech would rather not have it shown on national tv how vulnerable it is, not that it has not been shown to some degree mind you.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Because TPTB need us to fully TRUST the RFID chip.
Sorry there was not need for bold then, I just wanted to make the point clear.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

And that is not going to happen. It is common knowledge how insecure RFID is, and only an idiot would believe otherwise.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Okay but why would they want us to fully trust the chip?

Sorry I'm not being deliberately hard work I just don't know or haven't read alot about the RFID conspiracy.

Whats the actual danger? People are scared theyre going to be RFID chipped?

How would that benefit the government?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

I sure know a lot of idiots then.
I can understand people on here agreeing with you but how many people out there are blind enough to happily input their credit card/personal details on websites only to have them abused?
Many everyday people are too trusting, they see a news report saying how good the chip is and that's it, they're hooked.

One tabloid in the UK with a headline saying the RFID is ok is all it would need for lots of the UK population to put their trust in it.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

I disagree. I have discussed this with many well educated people and they think they are great. I personally think they are mis-informed because I would never have one of these. Its not common knowledge when you dont really look into it. Before I read about it on here I too thought they would be safe. There are more people out there who believe what the govt tells them is safe than those who dont believe. I wouldnt group them in the category of idiots just not informed.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Once you have subscribed to the RFID, once you have decided it is ok to have a bit of your info on this possible tracking device it's too late... It's just another small part.

All these little things add up to one big loss of freedom.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Wow, they will attack Mythbusters, a nationally syndicated television show but do nothing against Katherine Albrecht.

Spychips : Verichip Hacked

Check out my profile for many R.F.I.D./Verichip/Digital Angel threads.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7619ccb9d91e.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 1-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

When I first heard about these I thought how cool and convienent, then I read about them and had the opposite reaction. I dont think anything good can come of these. I like my privacy and this just really freaks me out. I dont want someone having access to my life whenever they want.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I hear you.
My only voice would be the fact that I know Mythbusters but have never heard of Katherine Albrecht. Maybe I'm wrong but she is less mainstream?? Like I say just a punt.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

She's a consumer rights advocate and she wrote the book below :

Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Purchase and Watch Your Every Move

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4cfa49c0c964.jpg[/atsimg]

You can go to Wikipedia and read about Verichip or the "sister" company Digital Angel, both have the same exact corporate address.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I agree with that, I certainly wouldn't want to be chipped.

The fact that the RFID system is so insecure is worrying is the government forced everyone to be chipped.

Not only would you be fitted with an effective tracking device as you say but it would take crime to a whole, new digital level.

Imagine being able to hack someones RFID chip while your sitting at the back of the bus... You would have access to their personal details, possibly even their finances...

You could be Cybermugged!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Would it be possible to track and process personal information for every single member of a population though?

The UK's population has just hit past 66 million. Thats 66 millions worth of data... which is alot!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

So true... Infact your post reminded me of a program a colleague has on his mobile phone which can be used to access other people's phones providing they have bluetooth turned on. It's used by journalists and PI's all the time.

Yeah, cybermugging is probably very doable... or would be if we all had chips.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Even well educated people can lack common sense, this is what I mean by idiot., Perhaps foolish is a better word.

I wonder why it is then that the vast majority of UK folk have absolutely no desire to have RFID passports or RFID IDs as well as being ever more cautious over the ever increasing ammount of personal data stored on them. They perhaps do not mind so much on RFID in travel cards or credit cards as it is first and foremost an anti-fraud measure, for what that is worth. The public perception, from what I see, is totally contrary to the positive hype, people simply do not buy it. I'm an average joe and I don't. There is zero chance of the UK population standing in line to be chipped.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join