It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playing The Dice Man

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hello there,

First off i've gotta say that this book is one of the best books i've read.... i rarely read a book more than once but this one i've read twice and could read again.... for those who don't know it, it's by an author named 'Luke Rhinehart' and it's about a Doctor/Psychologist who one day decides to play Dice because he is bored and wants a change in life.... he starts by writing down what he would like to do say from 1 - 6 on the Dice like number 1 he may want to run out into street naked or 2 he may want to go rob a bank or 3 he may want to be a Priest for a week or 4 he may want to hire a prostitute or 5 he may want to be a tramp for a day or 6 he may want to go round a friends house and have sex with his/her friends mother etc etc etc...... you get the jist!! Anyway after experimenting with himself he slowly introduces the experiment to his Mental Patients as Therapy and things get a little bizarre to say the least..... anyways great read!

My question is: Would you let the Dice decide your day to day life?

I've thought about doing this on a few occassions coz you know sometimes things can be a little too boring..... I havn't yet but can you imagine if we all played our lives this way?

[edit on 1-9-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Wow! I've been wanting a new book but nothing seems interesing. But this is going to be good. I especially liked your description about reading it twice and ready to read it again.

As for being willing to commit myself to doing what the roll of the dice dictates? I would start off being a wimp. Only listing things that I'm sure I would follow through on then build from there.

Things could get out of hand quickly!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Kind of like Truth or Dare with yourself!

It also reminds me of the movie "Yes Man" which turned out to be a very good movie! I wonder if they are related?

I have made a couple of outrageous challenges to myself before, and found it very revealing when it came time to follow through!

I believe that when people start breaking promises to themselves their life is unfulfilling and negative, but keeping those most basic commitments to one's self can turn a life around overnight!

It probably doesn't matter what is on the dice, the point is to FOLLOW THROUGH at all costs!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I did this a few weeks back as an experiment.

Every time i had a choice to make i would flip a coin, heads i would do one thing, tails another.

I would urge everyone to try it out, its brilliant. As long as you stick to it, and you don't let the coin decide any really important things, its absolutely day to day life changing.

I can be rather indecisive at times and this just went to show how making a quick decision, and maybe a decision you didnt favour, can be a very positive thing.

Needless to say they were the best few days i have had in a long time.
This topic reminds me of this piece of splendid dialogue from the film No Country For Old Men......

Anton Chigurh: What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss.

Gas Station Proprietor: Sir?

Anton Chigurh: The most. You ever lost. On a coin toss.

Gas Station Proprietor: I don't know. I couldn't say.
[Chigurh flips a quarter from the change on the counter and covers it with his hand]

Anton Chigurh: Call it.

Gas Station Proprietor: Call it?

Anton Chigurh: Yes.

Gas Station Proprietor: For what?

Anton Chigurh: Just call it.

Gas Station Proprietor: Well, we need to know what we're calling it for here.

Anton Chigurh: You need to call it. I can't call it for you. It wouldn't be fair.

Gas Station Proprietor: I didn't put nothin' up.

Anton Chigurh: Yes, you did. You've been putting it up your whole life you just didn't know it. You know what date is on this coin?

Gas Station Proprietor: No.

Anton Chigurh: 1958. It's been traveling twenty-two years to get here. And now it's here. And it's either heads or tails. And you have to say. Call it.

Gas Station Proprietor: Look, I need to know what I stand to win.

Anton Chigurh: Everything.

Gas Station Proprietor: How's that?

Anton Chigurh: You stand to win everything. Call it.

Gas Station Proprietor: Alright. Heads then.
[Chigurh removes his hand, revealing the coin is indeed heads]

Anton Chigurh: Well done.
[the gas station proprietor nervously takes the quarter with the small pile of change he's apparently won while Chigurh starts out]

Anton Chigurh: Don't put it in your pocket, sir. Don't put it in your pocket. It's your lucky quarter.

Gas Station Proprietor: Where do you want me to put it?

Anton Chigurh: Anywhere not in your pocket. Where it'll get mixed in with the others and become just a coin. Which it is.
[Chigurh leaves and the gas station proprietor stares at him as he walks out]

-No Country For Old Men.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Agreed.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember how I used to do that. Somehow I stopped without even realizing it.

I made a list of goals that at the time, I thought were impossible to achieve. It took 5 years but I achieved them all. The mistake was not updating the list when I achieved one of the goals.

Rolling the dice could be another method of achieving the same thing.

But it could get out of hand if the options related to each number got increasingly bold or dangerous. I suppose it depends on how much you want to break out of your established habits?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Dice Man. Gee, that's an oldie but goodie

I remember reading that -- can't even remember --30 ? years ago ?

Read it twice too, at least. Carted it around for quite a few years and recommended it to everyone

Another from that era is 'Kinflicks' by I think, Lisa Alther. Opening chapter, you learn the book's central character takes a bomb on board with her when she flies, in the belief that if she does so, she'll safeguard herself against being blown out of the sky by someone else (her theory is, the odds of two people taking a bomb on board are millions to one). LOL. Not much chance of anyone operating under such philosophies these days, in light of the rigid security measures imposed in the wake of 9/11

Catch 22 was another book from around the same era. It was a good time for books

Re: your question about using dice to chart one's path: sounded as good a plan as any back then and I've known people who may as well have been using dice, considering some of the choices they made. Once you have dependent children though, you put such ideas to the back .. for later .. and later

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I can be rather indecisive at times and this just went to show how making a quick decision, and maybe a decision you didnt favour, can be a very positive thing.

Good Point.

The coin method also serves to clarify your own thoughts! At seeing the result of the coinflip you will be either relieved or disappointed! You may have had trouble deciding, but now your emotional response to chance reveals your true feelings!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by St Vaast

Re: your question about using dice to chart one's path: sounded as good a plan as any back then and I've known people who may as well have been using dice, considering some of the choices they made.

Again, any method probably works as longs as you follow through without deviation! The same goes for diets and economies!! Once you start fiddling with the process or cheating, then it doesn't work anymore!

Anyone remember the monkeys with darts that outperformed all the major stock analysts and fund administrators!?? I can't find the story now, but I am sure someone on ATS has it in their repetoire (sp?)!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Monkeys with darts outperforming the analysts? I'd love to see that thread if you can find the link.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Good Point.

The coin method also serves to clarify your own thoughts! At seeing the result of the coinflip you will be either relieved or disappointed! You may have had trouble deciding, but now your emotional response to chance reveals your true feelings!

Exactly, great point

So you flip the coin, lets say you get heads, and it turns out that you are disappointed. Now you have learnt that in future maybe the tails option is the one you should choose because deep down thats what you wanted (in retrospect).

However you carry on with the heads option......and find you enjoy it.

What then? Aren't we left with the same problem?

Its a minefield of possibilities, all of which are devices by which we learn more about ourselves.

I really urge everyone to try it

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I read and enjoyed the Dice Man book, back in the day.

I had the dice man in mind, when I did something similar, which was using the I Ching on my stock market buying and selling. I had good results, but it was in an up market, say 1994 to 1998 or 1999.
I wouldn't use it for determining the pack of companies I might buy (I had other weird ideas to get that candidate group), but with the company name in hand I would throw the coins while asking, say, should I buy ATML today?
Then other times, say, I'd be fully invested, and I'd throw the coins just asking "what is the situation?", and, for example I would get the hexagram (from memory it's #18, Ku) "work on what has been spoiled"...which I would think about how to interpret and decide it meant I should sell the stock that had gone down most in price from where I bought it (it was K-mart, I remember, in one example where this happened).

I've made random decisions about major life issues for many years now, it's well-entrenched policy with me...The main thing is to firmly obey whatever the results are...once you do that (and you've been doing that, and you know that you've been doing that) then you don't ever have to feel guilt about how things turn out..."only following orders" type thing...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

It probably doesn't matter what is on the dice, the point is to FOLLOW THROUGH at all costs!

That is exactly right, yes yes yes.
I so agree.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

of mutual fund managers and other investors do not beat the overall stock market. (These learnings have brought on the less-scientific testing which shows that a monkey throwing darts at a dart board can pick better stocks than most mutual fund managers.

www.associatedcontent.com...

Here is a pretty mainstream article mentioning the story!

[edit on 1-9-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
there was a guy caled andrew clay i think, did a travel show called diceman.

travelled the world letting the dice choose all his outcomes. great travel show!!!

discovery.. or nat geo... maybe.. uk show.

really good, same theory

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Things do get out of hand in the book and i'm sure you'd enjoy it

It worked as Therapy in the book but it produced some weird side effects!!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Yep you have to follow through with it otherwise it's just not worth getting started....

Can you imagine if we all lived our lives this way? It would/could be great fun!!

[edit on 1-9-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

That's a great film actually and you've just reminded of the scene....

So you made a decision on the toss of a coin? How about deciding whether you should pay your next gas bill or not on the toss of a coin?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by St Vaast

Hmmmm..... the book you mention sounds pretty good and i suppose if you think about it the odds are enormous that 2 people would carry a bomb onto the same plane.... probably gauranteeing your life that you'd be safe every time you took a trip.....

I've heard about catch 22 though i never got round to buying it.... i'll keep that one in mind!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

The second book entitled 'The Search For The Dice Man' has Luke's son playing the Stck Exchange with Dice and messing things up for the Company but not always messing things up, sometimes the throw of the Dice would produce something big..... he then gets his colleagues playing along before going in search of his father.....

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I can see this dice thing being quite powerful if used.

You could list 6 things that terrify you---your phobias, and use the roll of the dice to overcome them one by one.

But how would it work, cos you would roll the same number more than once

I suppose you would have to wait for the corresponding number to come up, however many days it took.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join