It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shock Doctrine, More4,10 PM, tonight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
For those of you in the U.K who have or have not read The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein, there is a documentary based on the book on at 10 pm on More4 tonight.

The book really opened my eyes to the free market and how disasters such as coups, natural disasters, war are used as a cover to push though unpopular radical free market policies such as low tax for the rich, reduced public services in countries across the world, from Chile to Iraq to the U.K and to the U.S.

Worth a watch.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Was a good watch, Never heard of the book before, only thing I think it missed is how most of these situations were created by the people who were going to gain from it

www.channel4.com...

^^link to the show for anyone in the UK who missed it

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Pockets]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Well in the case of Chile, most of the economic advisors to Pinochet were Chicago University graduates taught in the fine art of radical free-markets. Nixon gave the order to the CIA to see to the downfall of the Allendae administration which allowed these Chicago'boys' to implement their stratagies.

The situation were not neccesarily always created, but like Friedman said, in times of crisis the playbook will run along the lines of ideas that were lying about such as his.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Thought some more people would of watched this, would of liked to hear more peoples opinion on it

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I haven't watched it yet. But wouldn't the idea of lower taxes be against the idea of the free-market? If government policy is made in favor of the rich how is that capitalism? Go answer that one for me.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I haven't watched it yet either.

But for those outside of the UK, here is the link to the 1st part on youtube.

www.youtube.com...

The rest is located in the related videos section.

[edit on 13/9/09 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
For those of you in the U.K who have or have not read The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein, there is a documentary based on the book on at 10 pm on More4 tonight.

The book really opened my eyes to the free market and how disasters such as coups, natural disasters, war are used as a cover to push though unpopular radical free market policies such as low tax for the rich, reduced public services in countries across the world, from Chile to Iraq to the U.K and to the U.S.

Worth a watch.

Oh...my...god, seriously? Naomi Klein lies throughout the entire book and mis-characterizes Milton Friedman the ENTIRE time. If this opened your eyes then you seriously need to have them checked.

www.reason.com...

If you actually buy her bull# then you sir are exactly what is wrong with this world, taking something at its word without knowing anything about a great man like Milton Friedman actually SAID. I am very passionate about how much she lied and how many people are buying it. It makes me SICK, it makes me more sick that you have so many stars and flags....absolutely disgusting. I knew this "documentary" was going to be aired, but I thought no one in their right mind would be naive enough to believe it.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Oh...my...god, seriously? Naimi Klein lies throughout the entire book and mis-characterizes Milton Friedman the ENTIRE time.

Please elaborate on these lies

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Clealrly Klein is one of the best investigative journalists out there. Too defend Milton Freidman equates to defending the likes of Bernie Madoff and Allen Stanford and possibly worse.

His ideas about Free market capitalism have led to the loss of jobs in his own country the U.S, and to the deaths of thousands in coups such as the one in Chile on September 11th 1979. He was directly involved in schooling and advising the Pinochet regime both before and after the coup.

new topics

top topics

join