It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why people dont care, lithium in the drinking water..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I found this article from april 20th 2009, and mucho intresting, it say that there are Lithium and Misc. other pharmaceutical drugs poored into the drinking water.

No wonder people dont 'have a clue'....

US Water Contaminated By Pharmaceutical Companies, Hospitals, Consumers
U.S. manufacturers, including major drugmakers, have legally released at least 271 million pounds of pharmaceuticals into waterways that often provide drinking water _ contamination the federal government has consistently overlooked, according to an Associated Press investigation.

Hundreds of active pharmaceutical ingredients are used in a variety of manufacturing, including drugmaking: For example, lithium is used to make ceramics and treat bipolar disorder; nitroglycerin is a heart drug and also used in explosives; copper shows up in everything from pipes to contraceptives.

And I really don't think taking Lithium if you don't need it, is a good idea...

The treatment of bipolar disorder using lithium
Lithium's effect on mood stabilization was first discovered by John Frederick Joseph Cade, and was published September 1949 in the Medical Journal of Australia. Cade was testing the effect of uric acid on mice. Because uric acid is insoluble, Cade chose the most soluble salt of it, lithium ureate. He discovered this compound had a calming effect on mice. After extensive testing, he discovered that while lithium had little effect on depressed patients, manic patients became much calmer after lithium use.

[edit on 1/9/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
A good subject there Chembreather, Never really thought much about tit till you mentioned it .. I always thought big hospitals filtered there water and treated it before they released it back into main stream waterway"s.
We already have treated fluoridated water here and I'm suspect of that as it is.. just think of patients body waste awash with allsorts alone going into the system untreated , makes you think don't it... anyway cheers and S&F for your insightful thread

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Kinda strange isn't it that all these psychoactive compounds are thrown around, our food is full of crazy additives like msg and aspartain and each and every trip to the doctors will offer a new selection of strange sounding pills with a list of possible uses and sideeffects long enough to outword most broudsheets --- Yet still a few certain plants and mushrooms are outlawed, one might start to wonder what they're scared of?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

i dont know what to say about these people's attitude towards life, as they do this kind of crimes ( I call it crime, legal dumping or not.) without even thinking of the consiquenses of the people that are drinking it...

Maybe that is exactly what they are thinking, we get layd back and sick, and we go and buy their products...

I heard on the news that in an lake in US, they found 30 different kind of medicals in it...I will try and see if I can find an article on it...

Ohh, that seamed impossible, 34 million hits on that subject...

But here are alot of articles about the very topic at hand...
Google results

[edit on 1/9/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Kinda worries me. In my city the tap water is all fluoridated. I usually drink 2 glasses a day (my glasses must have a capacity of around 330ml) and reading this stuff makes me think "Hmm...Is it really a good idea?"

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Whine Flu]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

The only other real choice you have is to harvest rainwater...bottled water has the added goodness of wholesome old industrial waste fluoride too.

Does a reverse osmosis unit filter this type of poison? Or is it just to filter the hardness (salts) out?

If these things do filter this crap out, i'd be seriously thinking of installing one.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I bought a good water filtration system, Berkey, a few years ago. It filters out floride as well as all of the other chemicals. After a few months I notice personal changes in myself and made changes in my life. I changed from a sheeple to a rebel and I believe that the water had a great effect on my thought process. I changed nothing else in my life but my water and it changed me. I became much more open minded. Maybe it is only a coincidence but I think not. There are many filtration systems out there but this one was the most economical for my situation. I wonder if there are others out there who have had similar experiences? Peace.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Well as someone who was on lithium for a while I didnt like it! It helped with my moods but it made me more depressed and that I did not like. I stopped taking it and started my own regiment of relaxation and meditation and all natural substances and I am much happier! I dont like being force fed drugs, it really irritates me! I do know others where lithium has worked wonders for them but for me it just didnt seem like it was really helping with the depression side of my bi-polar. Honestly I havent had an episode in a long time and I dont even take a single pill. My doctor tries to get me on other things but I refuse and I stopped seeing him because I felt like he just wanted to pump me full of pills.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
You forgot to mention that prolonged Lithium usage collects in the heart valves and the liver. It is a Metal, don't forget. Studies have shown this to be the case, although I am busy and don't have time to look it up right now.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
we should all start sending emails and writing letters to mayors and governors about this;
they have the power to make water companies stop putting toxins in our water;

also everyone needs to buy a reverse osmosis filtration system for your house

[edit on 1-9-2009 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Good thread

The good news is, they just found enough lithium to double the existing know amount.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monteriano
I bought a good water filtration system, Berkey, a few years ago. It filters out floride as well as all of the other chemicals. After a few months I notice personal changes in myself and made changes in my life. I changed from a sheeple to a rebel and I believe that the water had a great effect on my thought process. I changed nothing else in my life but my water and it changed me. I became much more open minded. Maybe it is only a coincidence but I think not. There are many filtration systems out there but this one was the most economical for my situation. I wonder if there are others out there who have had similar experiences? Peace.

Yes, Berkey. Imperial or something. It's about $250. What we used to spend on bottled water (~$45 a month) this thing is paying for itself in a few months of not buy bottled water. I got the wife some cute [color=#FF80FF]PINK capped, refillable, big mouth, water bottles.

I'm not eco-friendly and I could care less about plastic bottles ending up in landfills. I can't stand having them filling up the trashbags. I take out the trash ½ as much!

I no longer drink anything with aspertame because I realized that I was developing one of the top noted symptoms, itchy legs. It took almost two months for that to stop after getting Berkey Water Filter. No more Diet Coke... Although, now that I think of it ... I accidently had one 2 days ago and this morning it felt like I had a bug bite on my leg... I itched it and looked... Nothing there! I looked closer... Nothing there but itchy. Dang!

Edit to add: A post I had missed above asked about reverse osmosis units... I've read that they are very effective at removing many undesirable elements in city water. The high end Berkey and knock-offs (Black Ceramic and White Ceramic filters either one) they filter more undesirables and with add on Flouride Filters can remove almost everything leaving just the good minerals.

Our small town water has recently started smelling like Clorox & stinky lake water. After it's filtered... OMG it's incredibly good... But you MUST clean these types of filters with a scotchbrite monthly and soak the container with vinegar three hours every month. Each filter lasts about 3000 Gal. each. Mine came with two (it can hold four though) I calculate 3 years before replacing filters.

[edit on 9·1·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
people arent aware of it most likely.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
i remember getting a water statement in buffalo NY that listed 23 different contaminents including animal waste , radioactive elements and other bad things ... though they did say it was at a low ppb and the description for how all those things got there was "underground sources" and Flouride was the only one put there purposely ... as if that helps

heh found it ... pretty much every cities drinking water report says the same thing

Contaminant
Any MCL
of TT
violation?
Sample
Date (or
highest
detected)
Max Level
Detected Unit MCLG MCL Range Likely Source of Contamination
BARIUM No 0.19 ppm 2 2 Erosion of natural deposit. Discharge
CHROMIUM No