It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to undertand why Jesus was a jew, and yet Christianity is now a different religion from Jewi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I need help here.

OK, Jesus was a Jew and He started Christianity But that was his own name, so Jews could still have joined.

Could someone please tell me why it was that Jesus and the Jews took different paths. I really need to undertand this - why would you take a different path from your Saviour?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Yeah, Jesus was a Jew but he seems to have turned against the ruling priesthood / leaders and their nasty ways. The result? They whined to the Romans and had him arrested and crucified. In fact, in that respect things haven't really changed much in the way they do things.

All the flowery stuff in the "Bible" came later and is about as factual as a Harry Potter story.

So, he was nothing more than a political and religious rebel of the day, preaching peace and happiness but deemed a threat to the ruling Jewish elite. The Romans probably couldn't have cared less about him but arrested him just to keep the ruling Jewish elite from whining too much.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Christianity was a people's revolution in Judaism, a movement that took the esoteric privilege of the priest classes and put it back in the hands of the commoners. This obviously was unacceptable to the higher ups, especially when he went after the money changers, because of their beliefs in their god given right to rule their lessers. When the movement began to gather momentum, they paid an informant, used the Roman occupation's police to arrest him and then nailed him up on a crucifix to exemplify him to others who might have any silly notions about equality.

Something alot of people don't understand about Christianity is right there in the etymology. Jesus Christ is a title, the man's name was Jesus of Nazareth, the word Christ is a sort of entitlement that means enlightened. The word Christianity basicly means enlightenment for everybody.

Get yourself a RATS subscription and I'll tell you all about it. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

OK, Jesus was Jew, but then he realised they were crap and He became Jesus Christ.

He was brave enough to use His own name, and He was brave enough to break away from the Jews, and to lead His own reality.

That was very brave.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I like WikiAnswers. Don't study Religion much, can't promise this is 100% accurate but it looks good to me.

JUDAISM
- says that no human can ever die for the sins of others
CHRISTIANITY
- says that Jesus died for the sins of mankind

JUDAISM
- says that all humans are born pure, and innocent
CHRISTIANITY
- says that all humans are born with 'original sin'.

JUDAISM
- says that 'God' would never allow/enable a 'virgin birth'
CHRISTIANITY
- says that Mary gave birth, though a virgin

JUDAISM
- says that no man gets a 'second coming'
CHRISTIANITY
- says that Jesus will have a 'second coming'

JUDAISM
- says that every human should speak directly to G-d
CHRISTIANITY
- Jesus claims in the 'new testament' that the 'only way' to G-d is via him

JUDAISM
- says G-d is one, indivisible cannot be separated into three aspects/incarnations
CHRISTIANITY
- speaks of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit

JUDAISM
- says that we are ALL equally 'God's children
CHRISTIANITY
- says that Jesus was 'god's son' above all others

JUDAISM
- has no concept of 'hell'
CHRISTIANITY
- *some* Christians non believers to 'hell'

JUDAISM
- has no 'devil', the Jewish 'satan' is just an ordinary angel, under G-d's control
CHRISTIANITY
- describes 'satan' as a devil and 'fallen' angel

JUDAISM
- the 'messiah' will be a normal, mortal man who must fulfill all the Jewish messianic prophecies in one normal, mortal lifetime
CHRISTIANITY
- Jesus was the 'messiah' and will fulfill the prophecies when he 'returns'

JUDAISM
- says that the righteous of ALL faiths will reach 'gan eden' or 'garden of eden'.
CHRISTIANITY
- *some* Christians insist that only those who 'know Christ' can reach heaven

JUDAISM
- forbids Jews from trying to convert anyone to Judaism
CHRISTIANITY
- believes in actively 'witnessing' and encouraging people to convert to Christianity

wiki.answers.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Simple answer.
The Jews are still waiting for their messiah.
They still follow the old laws until he arrives.
Jesus claimed to be the messiah, and brought the new covenant to the people.
The Jews are still waiting.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Dear twitchy

Actually the mans name as given by Joseph & Mary was Joshua. Jesus Christ comes from the Greek, but what’s in a name.

The really sad thing is it was all about power then and still is to this very day. But lets not forget money.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Actually the Jews were total as onr of their ownone of their owncrap whwn it came to Jesus - He was obe if their ioeb

I think that the jews lost a lot They lost Jesus because they agreed to kill Him, then they lost a lot through euthanisia.

And now they are the biggest movers and shakers in the world.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

It's because Evangelical Christians don't believe in Evolution. There are no apparent transitional forms between Judaism and Christianity. Just because the Old Testament is strikingly similar to the Tanakh, that only proves that having similar texts reveals a similar creator. And we know from rigorous study in the fields of Intelligent Design that god is apparently very lazy and just recycles a bunch of old content into his new creations.

Further discoveries in the field of Intelligent Design from the esteemed Patriot University and peer-reviewed for publication by the Discovery Institute - that occasionally a fully formed new species can be born to a parent of a different species. This was observed when a new breed of Siamese cat was born from a Great Dane the researchers had been praying to god over for 40 days in hopes of a miracle proof for creationism.

However, I also recall hearing that representatives from PeTA got some kind of an undisclosed anonymous tip concerning the research and are now trying to get criminal charges brought up against them.

Tipsters was probably just an Atheist scared of losing his "non-religion". Buncha immoral god-haters if you ask me.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

This is something I have always thought about for a long time and been trying to tell a lot of people. Jesus Christ teaching never was in accordance or in match with the Old testament. Many Christians delude themselves by thinking so. The philosophy and methods of worship themselves differ, like for instance polygamy, having concubines, morning and evening sacrifices etc...To be frank teachings of Jews are very similar to Islam. You mite want to go through this to get some clarity www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
"But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from law, although the law and prophets bear witness to it, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction; since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, they are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forth as an expiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins; it was to prove at the present time that he himself is righteous and that he justifies him who has faith in Jesus". Romans 3:21-26

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Ravenshadow's reply is completely false, though i don't hold it against him/her. They did say they weren't sure how accurate it was.

Now, Jesus was indeed born a Jew and He followed the Jewish laws. He taught from the Old Testament and mentioned to His followers to "Keep the Commandments" and hinted about unclean meats when He cast the demons into a herd of swine who committed suicide. He taught nothing of what modern christains teach. Today we're taught that the law was done away with but that's not the case. When Jesus "fulfilled the law" (Matt. 5:17), He didn't do away with the law... He MAGNIFIED the law. Instead of adultery, you shouldn't lust over someone other than your spouse because it's considered the adultery of the heart. Anger and hatred toward your neighbor without just cause is committing murder in your heart. These are the magnifications of the commands of not committing adultery and not commmitting murder. He also magnified the command, thou shall not take the Lord's name in vain.. by mentioning that we shouldn't even swear in our minds. The only true difference in Jesus and the Jews of His time is that the Jews of His time were following the traditions of the elders with rigourous rituals like washing your hands before eating (mark 7... note that this chapter does not give the impression of Jesus declaring all meats clean. He was referring to sin defiling a man and the clean and unclean notion in this chapter had to do with hands that were not washed), limits to the Sabbath, and many other things. Jesus was following the Jewish law the way it was originally intended to be followed while the Jews added more than 60 additional ordinances to the laws that completely defeated the purpose of the law.

There is no difference other than the belief of Jesus being the Messiah. True bible followers will note that nowhere in the bible does it say that mankind will enter heaven (john 3:13). Nowhere in the bible does it say you will suffer forever in hell if you don't repent... instead it suggests that you will surely die a second death (revelation 21:8) in a lake of fire. Nowhere in the bible does it say your body and soul separate. Even Jesus was dead in His tomb for 3 days and 3 nights before being resurrected back to life. The hebrew word for "soul" is interchangable and is also translated as "life". To become a spirit body, your physical body transforms into spirit just as Jesus portrayed in the "transfiguration" in the gospels.

I say to you, read between the lines and don't let the catholic and protestant beliefs infiltrate your common sense knowledge of the bible.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Probably the simplest thing would be to read the Acts of the Apostles, in whatever New Testament Bible you like. It's not very long, really, and it tells the story of how the followers of Jesus started in Jerusalem as a sect of Temple Judaism.

Early on, almost all followers of Jesus were Jews, but few Jews were followers of Jesus. By preaching, the followers hoped to get more Jews involved.

Their preaching began to attract non-Jewish members without really trying. At some point, Paul turns away from being a persecutor of Jewish Christians to become the "apostle to the Gentiles." Accommodations are made in the sect, with Peter's cooperation, so that Gentile Christians don't have to cut off their foreskins and can eat pork.

In other words, they don't have to "become Jewish" to be Christians. Paul really tries to attract Gentiles, especially Gentiles living far away from from Jerusalem. He succeeds.

Add to that one more thing: In 70 CE, Temple Judaism ceased to exist, when the Romans destroyed the Temple, along with much else in Jerusalem. So "Gentile Christian" immediately became just about the only kind of organized Christian there was.

That's it, really. Well before the end of the First Century, what began as a Jewish movement became a Gentile movement. It only took about a generation.

Jesus was a Jew and He started Christianity But that was his own name, so Jews could still have joined.

Christ is a title, not a name. It is Greek for "annointed," and corresponds somewhat to the Jewish idea of "Messiah."

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

Haha yeah no problem. Religion is REALLY not my thing.

Zoology is, though, and Lasheic, canines can never and will never produce feline offspring. It's physically impossible. Domestic dogs have 78 chromosomes, 39 pairs. Domestic cats have 38 chromosomes, 19 pairs.

I don't know where you heard about that. It wouldn't prove creationism at all, it would prove that someone did some funky surgery with two different species. But God or not, a canine body could never physically produce a feline. Unless, I mean, this is up there with walking and water and stuff.

Yes. Ravenshadow13=zoology, not religion.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I said nothing about mixing animal species but while we're on the subject... a donkey and horse make a mule and mules can't reproduce. Two different species mateing. It's similar to monkeys and humans mateing and creating a monkey human.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

That's why I directed it at Lasheic. I didn't want to make two separate replies. It's just how I post.

Humans and Monkeys are both Primates. Donkeys and Horses are both Equine. Some birds can reproduce cross-species.

Cats are Feline and Dogs are Canine. It doesn't work that way.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I get it and don't believe in the cat/dog story. I'm just using an example of two species mateing and giving birth to a separate species. Humans and monkeys can't do that. At least it isn't known.

top topics

join