It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain facing blackouts for first time since 1970s

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gamma MO
The more turbines you build, the more fossil fuel plants you need to build to back them up

how the hell dyou come to that conclusion?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Read carefully...

You need a backup fuel source for when the wind is not blowing, correct?
Nuclear cannot be ramped up and down quickly, Correct? Not feasible.
So only coal and natural gas plants can be ramped up that fast, Correct?
So you've got massive wind farms all over a country....the wind dies down...something needs to kick in to maintain the grid.

If you don't have lots of fossil fuel plants always waiting on standby, the grid will collapse. The mroe non-dispatchable energy you have on a grid, the more fossil fuel backup is needed. That's why Germany needs to build 26 NEW coal plants.

These wind related blackouts have happened already in the UK, Spain and Texas on a big scale.

All of which means that when the greens call for wind, they are really calling for natural gas or more coal. When you read newspaper headlines in 2015 saying GHGs are as bad as they ever were, they will wonder how they were so badly fooled by those who said wind is the answer to climate change.

It's propoganda, kids.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Gamma MO]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemicalSubstance

Time to build more windmills and create jobs building them.

Does that make any sense?

yes that makes a whole lotta sense if you have built them before you shut down the power. how are people suppose to work in this enviroment without power. owe forgot,actually dont think they care as long as they get there carbon credits

guess i will start stocking up on candles, hey that might just be the new commodity on wall street next year.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Time for solar? Cut them off before they cut you off, start now and try to use no electricity, and save all that money and invest in a solar powered home. You may spend a bunch now, but later it will pay for itself, then it will pay you, all that money you used to give for electricity.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Taikonaut

Bullcrap, those idiots as you call them, would have solar panels on their roofs if there was not somuch frakin red tape invovled. How would ou react if a 12ft wind turbine was beng out in your backyard?

I'm planning on sticking a wind-turbine on my roof and it'll stay there, regardless of planning legislation or NIMBY morons...if they want it down they'd better get a warrant and a riot-van ready

And we will see how long before you start whining and moaning, when they come knocking on your door threatning you with a costly fine for not obtaining planning permision.

Who will be the idiot then, anwer you!

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

The I would ask, if it is right then why have you not done this before the rest of us! If not then it is wrong.

Letme see you taken the jab first, give your children the jab first, then I will believe you! NOT!

Not in my backgarden It will not be.

No Everything is ok, there is nothing to wory about, sho shop shop, go about your daily life living in fear, you are not allowed to smile, if you see anyone smile, please report them to the closest police station!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
UK got loads of coal, just imagine all that coal in the North Sea and atlantic off our coasts in similar zones to depleted oil, only technology/investment stops us from harvesting this crop. Don't get me wrong here, Maggie was right in bringing down the NUM, they had us over a barrel and needed bringing into line, exterminating UK coal mining was at the same time wrong and self centred and short term stupidity, coal should be part of our future energy needs if we are not going to have to deal with OPEC and the Russian petro chemical governmental mafia

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

"The fact is that it was Thatcher and her cronies who started this decline in the UK's power supply.

As an act of spite she decimated the coal industry and ripped apart whole communities.
She then sold off the family silver to those that already owned it by privatising nationalised businesses.
Normal people took their quick profit and sold their shares to corporate businesses.
Eventually the power supply has come under the control of French and German companies who are slowly bleeding this country dry."

I give you a little star for putting balance into this thread. It was indeed the Conservatives who initiated privatisation. The coal industry, British Rail, along with deregulation of infrastructural services.Then they scuttled off with the loot. In any case this is not a party issue per se, it is an environmental issue and the European countries have signed up to it. I do think there is too much haste however, and I am not convinced of man-made global warming and I would rather the light stayed on. probably one of the biggest contributors to "Greenhouse gases" other than power stations is the domestic fireplace,bet there aren't many would like to give that up! Change is needed simply because our main sources of energy are grossly inefficient and wasteful, so it's no use looking for a scapegoat to whinge at, everybody has the responsibility to improve things.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
wow, 1 hour in a year without power......wowwwww. a whole hour from 8,766 hours. people can like totally umm starve to death in one hour without power. wowwwwwww

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Dont panic everyone!

I mean - come on.... we've got the Olympics to think about....

;0)

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spacecowboy

The strike was actually about the intention, (Ridley plan) to close many mines. Many people empathised with that, i'm not even sure that it ever became a national strike since some mining areas were much better off than others, so it was a divide and conquer ploy with the subsidised mines being closed. Many mines around Europe were subsidised as the norm, Thatcher was just being spiteful because she didn't like their faces.You can't say she was right in defeating the miners, but wrong in destroying the coal industry because that was what the striking miners were trying to defend... their jobs, and the industry itself.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by smurfy]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
wow, 1 hour in a year without power......wowwwww. a whole hour from 8,766 hours. people can like totally umm starve to death in one hour without power. wowwwwwww

That't the [good news!

What about an hour-5, or 2 hours.?

You expect that what you're told is the truth?

Now, I'd be all for complete darkness for a few hours each night - you'd be amazed.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

As a Tory it was her dream of killing NUM. Did not NUM bring down the Tories in 1974? Sure the miners deserved a future for all their efforts, but by trying to influence the politics of Britain they were playing a very dicey game. A game they lost in 1979

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

one hour was all i was told, why would they lie about a power outage? i mean, if they were to say one to five hour i still won't freak out and go international about it, just don't open your frige so much.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The french have their utillity bills capped, yet they own edf here in the uk which can charge what they want, hmm something not quite right there.
The germans own eon and they can charge what they like here also.
Labour have failed to invest in our infrastruture when the going was good instead they have spent money giving jobs for the boys with final salary pensions, spent billions on unelected quangos and now run around like headless chickens blaming everybody but themselves.
Lets just stick two fingers up to europe and use our coal reserves, whatever pollution we put up is no hill of beans compared to usa, china, india and they dont care.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
How would you react if a 12ft wind turbine was beng out in your backyard?

I'd have no problem with it at all

Though the newer generation 6ft-and-under span models are capable of putting out just as much power. With the domestic R.E market now picking up, and the money making R&D advances in PMA motor designs ever more efficient, and also means that prices are falling to within easy reach of the average consumer

I'm planning on sticking a wind-turbine on my roof and it'll stay there, regardless of planning legislation or NIMBY morons...if they want it down they'd better get a warrant and a riot-van ready

And we will see how long before you start whining and moaning, when they come knocking on your door threatning you with a costly fine for not obtaining planning permision.

Who will be the idiot then, anwer you!

I'll not be whining and moaning at all...current planning regs state that a fixture cannot be higher than the top of the roof-line, so will be mounted on the side of the house to reach to just that height...granted, not the most effective location as it should be in positioned in a clean airstream, but its a start

The point you seem to miss is to make a stand against pointless planning office beaurocracy and hypocritical governmental green energy policy.

Energy prices are being kept artificially high in this country, and lobby groups for the centralised large scale geneartors want it kept that way and will demand planning restrictions and red-tape in order to keep their monopoly unopposed by low-cost renewables technology

Did you read the point in my earlier post about the planning office obstructing 7500 or so Megawatts of production capacity in the last few years? That, in light of the statement from the OP article that..

It highlights the first short-fall in 2017. The “energy unserved” level reaches 3000 megawatt hours per year.

That is the equivalent of the whole of the Nottingham area being without electricity for a day.

By 2025 the situation worsens with the shortfall hitting 7000 megawatt hours per year. That is the equivalent to an hour-long power cut for half of Britain.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
closing in 2015?
Doesn't that give 6 years to come up with something?
And one hour per year????

It takes 12 to 20 years to build a power generation plant. I don't know about the UK but in the US the legal process takes 20 years or more.

Solar Power is too expensive and not developed enough to use.

Wind power is always stopped by people who don't want the windmills next door or in their area. Nuclear is safe and very clean but people are so naive they are scared of it so politicians will never allow it.

Time to learn to make candles again. To stop this they would have had to start on it 30 years ago and you can't expect to see any solutions for at least 30 years from now.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by remymartin

China opens a new coal fired pwer station every three days, yet we worry about our coal staions and close them to preserve the environment when in comparison it os like a needle in a haystack while we murder our hundrfeds year old communities. PC kak or what?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I live in virtual darkness anyway.... no lights unless i need to switch the kitchen one on to cook something and i very rarely use the bathroom at night and if i do i just do what i gotta do in the dark.... 90 times out of 100 the only light you will get in my place is the light emmitting from my computer screen.... so i don't mind.... i can live without light & even if the computer goes down, i can live without that too......

[edit on 1-9-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Here's a song you'll be playing in a few years time.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by ChemicalSubstance]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join