It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"What To Do Right Now If You're Broke, And In Need"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bonsaisert

Yes people should get of their lazy behinds. But if there are only 50 jobs than only 50 people will get them, and not the rest. That is what I obviously meant with the keg example.

And furthermore, there is this thing calles a cv. And when applying for the jobs you normally had, listing flipping burgers is going to look silly. I know it is unfair. But the possible employer at the interview will ask stupid a## questions like why you had that job, knowing damn well how bad things were.

Interestingly enough if you leave out "silly jobs" that you needed for the cash and state that you took time off to take work related courses, that will look much better. They might want to see diploma's etc but you can say that you are still studying. Stating that you to took care of say an old parent will also still look a hell of a lot better than the "silly jobs".

It is indeed a strange world we live in.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by QueenofWeird]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Anyone familiar with the writings of Dave Barry from the Miami Herald? Well, I'm going to take the list from Sancho's OP and sort of do a Dave Barry with it. Sad thing is I won't be joking, for the most part.

1. Car washing(door to door)

Right. I rarely wash my own car. If I do, it'll lose the dirt that is holding it together.

2. Service jobs around the house

Possible option. Matters on who I have to service.

3. Sit with the elderly or a handicapped person.

The elderly and handicapped are poorer than the rest of us. Like they have money to have me sit with them and talk about the evils of the Fed.

4. Run a shopping service in your neighborhood

90% of my neighborhood is hispanic. I'm not. Yo quiero Taco Bell?

5. Special cleaning jobs.

What's so special about a cleaning job?

6. Gardening, landscaping, indoor herb gardens, creating decorative ponds

Ok, now this one I AM working on. Problem is that I'm doing it by hand. Ever tried to dig through caliche by hand? I may start a thread on this one in the near future if I can ever get rid of the dirt and rocks, rocks and more rocks.

7. Bake sale.

I'm male, age 41. Would you let your kids by muffins from me?

8. Party planner.

Got beer?

9. Tutoring.

Yo quiero Taco Bell?

10. Computer skills.

It took me three years to figure out how to embed a video on this site.

11. You can also offer to take people's photographs and scan them onto discs or make internet files of their family albums that they can share with email friends.

See #10.

12. Storyteller. Memorize a few stories or write your own, hire out to day care centers and organizations, even nursing homes

Can I tell the story of how I was so drunk after a Deep Purple concert I couldn't find my hotel room two blocks away?

13. Write stories or articles for your local newspaper. You could expect to earn about 10 cents per word on an article.

Yeah, they won't print the real story of the wine-flu and the ridiculous vaccine, like they would print anything I have to say.

14. If you live in the south or near a company that shells and buys nuts (pecans etc.) you can contact them to shell out the nutmeats from cracked nuts.

Well, I AM nuts. Not sure about cracking them, and that sounds really bad.

15. Painting street numbers on curbs in cities.

I'd rather not get arrested.

16. Sell advertising to local businesses.

Sell propaganda? I'd rather not.

17. Candy boxes and donation boxes set out on counters where a store will allow you to leave one.

Go into the business of supplying people with their HFCS. Nah. Who's going to let a old man sell candy in their store? I'd look like a pedophile - see #7.

Nice list, but it ain't me. I don't play games, I don't play the game, hence why I am unemployed, basically friendless and terminally single. I'm also not nearly as funny as Dave Barry but I hope you all enjoyed this little diversion. I just had to do it.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread. I may even get around to reading it and contributing something worthwhile.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Nice post, thanks for having the courage to post something that can be so sensitive to people.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I once was a single mom to whom $20 was a fortune..never to be wasted.

1. Spending properly is just as, if not more important than how much money you make. It's amazing how little $$ people can live off if they pare down to bare bones. It doesn't kill you.

2. Savor the simple things. Really savor them. I was sitting on a park bench one beautful sunny day and one of the town millionaires strolled by. Despite our difference in wealth, he was in exactly the same place, enjoying the same thing I was. I saw how useless money was in that moment.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonInMichigan
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

Well clearly I misunderstood the purpose of this site.

I'm going to have to post some threads of my own on topics I previously thought would be too off base for this site like "Jon's Guide to Greener Living", or "Sustainable Environmental Systems".

[edit on 1-9-2009 by JonInMichigan]

>> Clearly I erred when I tried to describe the true purpose of this site -- it's not JUST self empowerment -- it's Self-Empowerment, meaning, with a loaded weapon, a copy of the Turner Diaries with a well thumb nailed edition of "Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse" on the end table that has the coffee stains from early morning reading.

SURVIVAL and Self-Empowerment, RELIGION and Self-Empowerment (as long as you have ancient Aztec, or something else I can't just check up on), or ALIEN BLOCKADE from the Alpha Centauri fleet and Self-Empowerment.

I thought those other bits were just kind of obvious.

If you want to do sustainable living and gardening, make sure you find a way to crush the skulls of disguised lizard people in order to keep the Tomatoes growing well.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Most of those ideas are going to be hard sells. The kind of tasks that take a lot of effort and only get discretionary income.

Who has the money? The rich.

Find something that THEY want, and provide the service. If it's something your poor neighbor MIGHT want -- then during this economy, they might be washing the car less.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Yeah, I know, I was just trying to have a little fun and be almost serious with that. Funny thing is in months of looking for work I have had two interviews and nothing happened. Until yesterday, I had one with a good chance of getting the job - just making pizzas but a job nonetheless and today someone called me for security installation, another interview.

WOOT!

There is no guarantee I'll get either job but I just want to work, pay off these bills and get the heck out of this town, it's as dead as dead gets here in Vegas. Town is based on tourism and there isn't much of that going on and that trickles down to pretty much everything in town.

At least it's a start and more than I have had since I got back to town.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony

7. Bake sale.

I'm male, age 41. Would you let your kids by muffins from me?

I'd buy your muffins.

8. Party planner.

Got beer?

I like strawberry daquari and peach wine coolers. Shame I can't drink anymore. *sigh*

10. Computer skills.

It took me three years to figure out how to embed a video on this site.

I've been here longer than you and still don't know how to embed a video on this site.

Originally posted by TheLoonyCan I tell the story of how I was so drunk after a Deep Purple concert I couldn't find my hotel room two blocks away?

Sure, that might be an interesting tale.

Originally posted by TheLoonyNice list, but it ain't me. I don't play games, I don't play the game, hence why I am unemployed, basically friendless and terminally single. I'm also not nearly as funny as Dave Barry but I hope you all enjoyed this little diversion. I just had to do it.

Yeah, I know what it's like to be unemployed, basically friendless, and single. Maybe we can start a club for unemployed, friendless, single people. Might meet some interesting folks that way I suppose.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Yeah, I know, I was just trying to have a little fun and be almost serious with that. Funny thing is in months of looking for work I have had two interviews and nothing happened. Until yesterday, I had one with a good chance of getting the job - just making pizzas but a job nonetheless and today someone called me for security installation, another interview.

WOOT!

There is no guarantee I'll get either job but I just want to work, pay off these bills and get the heck out of this town, it's as dead as dead gets here in Vegas. Town is based on tourism and there isn't much of that going on and that trickles down to pretty much everything in town.

At least it's a start and more than I have had since I got back to town.

Somewhere there is a thread that has a map showing which states have the highest and lowest unemployment numbers. Maybe that can help you decide where to go. Nevada had one of the highest unemployment by that map, along with Michigan.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

No sadly I am in Nevada and just informed I need to be out of where I am before winter.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritwomyn
reply to post by calstorm

No sadly I am in Nevada and just informed I need to be out of where I am before winter.

Are you legally able to move from Nevada? Nevada is one of the bad states to be in right now economy wise.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The first thing you will want to do is try to remember a time when you "had" the cash and remeind your self that the things you needed then weren't so extravagant, expensive, in surpluss or all over the place. You have to start off with basic needs and when you get a job things will change^^ lol

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Yes I can move whereever I wish. I have an income of between 400-450 a month. I don't live an extravagant life, never did. Pay bills first, then food, gas as needed. Everything else after that.
I have no furniture. I sold all I had and am down to basics.
I have no car or truck nor a way to purchase and license one.

I sold my business a year ago to help my sister save her house. I had hoped to be further ahead by now.
I worked for a couple months with the Census, but not long enough to have the funds to purchase a better vehicle.

I have been eyeing Idaho as it has a good homeschool law as does Nevada but has other attributes as well.

Jobs here are scarce and with no car even more so. Plus a child and no real support system. I am very much on my own. The hardest part is, I have an ex that owes me over $75,000 in back support, and that would be so welcome now. But I have to let it go as I owe nothing to the state so they have no incentive to go after him.

I am qualified in so many areas and I am very far from a person who needs the extravagant side.

I don't smoke, or do drugs, I eat healthy and find enjoyment in life without unnecesary outlets.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Yes I can move whereever I wish. I have an income of between 400-450 a month. I don't live an extravagant life, never did. Pay bills first, then food, gas as needed. Everything else after that.
I have no furniture. I sold all I had and am down to basics.
I have no car or truck nor a way to purchase and license one.

I sold my business a year ago to help my sister save her house. I had hoped to be further ahead by now.
I worked for a couple months with the Census, but not long enough to have the funds to purchase a better vehicle.

I have been eyeing Idaho as it has a good homeschool law as does Nevada but has other attributes as well.

Jobs here are scarce and with no car even more so. Plus a child and no real support system. I am very much on my own. The hardest part is, I have an ex that owes me over $75,000 in back support, and that would be so welcome now. But I have to let it go as I owe nothing to the state so they have no incentive to go after him.

I am qualified in so many areas and I am very far from a person who needs the extravagant side.

I don't smoke, or do drugs, I eat healthy and find enjoyment in life without unnecesary outlets.

Kentucky has pretty good homeschool laws as well. All you have to do is write a letter at the beginning of the year with the intent of homeschooling your child with child's ss#, date of birth, and grade and you're all set.

Cost of living in KY is cheaper too. But right now there's not much in way of jobs. I've only worked about five weeks this whole year and am running out of savings.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Heres a link to a post on the News site reddit about other ways to make money. www.reddit.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I have a job interview tomorrow morning. The interview is at the same store I lost my job at last year after my boyfriend dumped me in front of everyone. I will be working in a different department, if I get it, but I wouldn't mind that at all. I hope I get the job. I need this job.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I got a call yesterday from the Census, I worked for them in March and April so they were calling me back for more work. I had to turn it down. Here I am with no food in the house and no car. Without a car I can't work. And training is all day and I have no one to care for my child.

I hiked into town two days in a row with my 9yo, thats 11 miles. We went to several places for help to no avail.

I know what it will be like when things go bust, I fel like I am already there.

Today I thought about just walking out into the desert and getting lost. My sister kicked us out because she wants more money from me, I have already paid her the equivalent of two years rent and then some.

I just feel done, I have tried everything, I have even been on a site to possibly win a car from a charity. I need a truck and horse trailer, pack my stuff and leave.

What I really need is a very big miracle, because I have finally given up on the human race.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I got a call yesterday from the Census, I worked for them in March and April so they were calling me back for more work. I had to turn it down. Here I am with no food in the house and no car. Without a car I can't work. And training is all day and I have no one to care for my child.

I hiked into town two days in a row with my 9yo, thats 11 miles. We went to several places for help to no avail.

I know what it will be like when things go bust, I fel like I am already there.

Today I thought about just walking out into the desert and getting lost. My sister kicked us out because she wants more money from me, I have already paid her the equivalent of two years rent and then some.

I just feel done, I have tried everything, I have even been on a site to possibly win a car from a charity. I need a truck and horse trailer, pack my stuff and leave.

What I really need is a very big miracle, because I have finally given up on the human race.

Well, you could sell off some stuff you don't need anymore for now and use the money to move elsewhere.

The cost of living is a lot cheaper probably around here than out there.

When I moved out here, I just threw some clothes and essentials in my car and drove on out here. It's livable.

You could probably qualify for subsidized housing out here.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

You are so sweet. I wish I could do that, and sell, well I have very little left in this world and have tried selling what is left and no one is buying. Also this time, no car and I would have to take it all with me.

At this juncture I truly believe if God wants me to survive he will drop it from the sky.

We are supposed to be His hands and feet and to let ourselves be each others answered prayer, but somewhere we got off track and stopped following the Master and started following the IRS.

I still believe if we all worked together we would turn it around. At least I have no fear of dying, I have already been there.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join