It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Quest. Remember?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I don't even think anyone will read this...but:

I just wanted to get back to the days when PC games were fun, thought-provoking and just plain weird. I broke out my old PC games for kicks. I forgot how much fun they are.

I'm going to play Space Quest 1-5 again. I just posted this to see if anyone actually remembers these games. Funny thing is, I bet I don't get a response.

Ahh....the good ole' days.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Oh man, I envy you, I played every one until number 5 which came up with an error every time I got to a certain point in the game soo I couldn't finish it.

I think it may have been number 2 with the maze and that damn hoover type thing that swallows you as you try to get through it.

I love Roger Wilco.

It's up there with the earliest Kings quest's and police quest games, they were all great until they tried to modernise them.

Respect to you.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

I never thought I would get a reply! Sweet.

Space quest, police quest, kings quest. All the old Sierra On-line games.
Yeah. I'm a big dork.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Lol!

This is my first post in BTS Game section. I was looking at the threads and was thinking of making my own about the old DOS Ultima games.

Yes I totally remember space quest!! Hell You can still play them all you know. I play DOS, Nintendo, Saga, SNES, and even PlayStation on my PC. There are plenty of emulators out there and you can find Zip files and RAMS for any old school game you want for virtually Any system. Just to let you guys n gals know. Just google them.

But back to Space Quest. I always wanted to make a movie based on how frustrating typing out the correct answer was on Space Quest. It would be totally funny to see a Space quest movie of Roger finding random things on the floor and later dieing multiple times until he gets it right.

Did you ever play the old Ultima games?

Thanks for the thread man, brings back fun times.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I totally remember all those old Sierra games. Did any of you guys ever play the Mother Goose game?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by divinetragedy79

No, I actually don't remember those.

But, any type-to-answer games were fun back then. When there was more thinking than button-mashing.

Ah....those were the days.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by divinetragedy79

I totally remember all those old Sierra games. Did any of you guys ever play the Mother Goose game?

Yeah, it was all the fairy tales, right?
OMG I had totally forgotten about that one, this thread just brings back good memories.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I remember those games! I never could get Space Quest 1 or 2 to work on my Apple, but 4 and 5 were fun, along with the Kings Quest and Leisure Suit Larry games. Looking back now, though, a lot of the stuff they had you do didn't make much sense at all.

There's actually a free online game called Peasent's Quest that is a parody of this type of game, requiring you to do some rather strange things with the objects you find (such as throwing a baby into a lake) in order to win.

Good times

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I remember those games! I never could get Space Quest 1 or 2 to work on my Apple, but 4 and 5 were fun, along with the Kings Quest and Leisure Suit Larry games. Looking back now, though, a lot of the stuff they had you do didn't make much sense at all.
Good times

Leisure Suit Larry! Brilliant!

Yes the days of 4800 bps modem speed and 286/386 processors.
Wow. Think of the lag now!

I wonder how many people actually remember what bps stands for.
Amazing, technology. Amazing.

The days that DOSSHELL ran the world!

I used to write logic games in my spare time. Entire story lines, with no pictures, just paragraph after paragraph of story line and type-to-answer!

I am reminiscing.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
I used to write logic games in my spare time. Entire story lines, with no pictures, just paragraph after paragraph of story line and type-to-answer!

As did I, first on my Apple ][e, and then on my TI-85
The TI-85 actually had some graphics, as the text would have taken forever, so they were more along the lines of the first Wizardry games than games like Quarterstaff.

If you still want to play those DOS games on your PC, DosBox works wonderfully. I've gotten a few Win95 games to work decently on Vista and XP, but most DOS games were choppy on XP and I can't get them to run on at all on Vista.

I actually still have a copy of MS-DOS 6.22 -- just need to find a computer slow enough to run it...

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I actually still have a copy of MS-DOS 6.22 -- just need to find a computer slow enough to run it...

I have an old Tandy (name-drop...remember that?) if you want it.

I managed to get my pc to run my old Kings Quest games and the speed is ridiculous. The characters RUN through screens.
Thats on the slowest setting! (game options)

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
That's why DosBox is so great. You can slow it down enough to be able to play those games as well as action oriented ones like Darklands. It's a free Dos emulator that's a little convoluted at first, but is easy to use after a short tutorial.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Wow. Sierra games... I remember those. My favorite was the Leisure Suit Larry games.... I looked on Wiki and their last game was released in 2008 Legend of Spyro... Apparently they were trying to bring back the Spyro franchise on newer platforms... Dont know the status of the company now though.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles

Yeah, it was all the fairy tales, right?
OMG I had totally forgotten about that one, this thread just brings back good memories.

That would be the one and only! haha. I would so love to play that game once again. maybe this time I could actually finish it. I was about 7 or 8 at the time. Great times!!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Havok, bps---bytes per second, right? We also had a Tandy back in the days. I recall I used to be pretty good using the dos progam. Ahh...the good old days.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Havok, bps---bytes per second, right? We also had a Tandy back in the days. I recall I used to be pretty good using the dos progam. Ahh...the good old days.

Yes! BYTES per second!

I had a modem that got 4800 bps! Then I upgraded to 9600, then 14.4k!
Then 28.8k. 56.6k and so on...
That was about 15 years ago. More or less. Things were less complicated.
Everything was dial-up!

Pictures on bubble-jet printers!

Those were the good 'ol days.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I have the medieval one (can't recall the name right now), had "Dirk the Daring" in it...as a DVD game you can play on the DVD player (uses the directional arrows)... I always die at the same part though....been so long, I forgot, lol...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Hear hear! I remember walking in the computer room as a young kid while my dad was playing leisure suit larry, he would always tell me "this game isn't for kids" lol. I really miss hte old space quest games, especially number 3. Sierra was really on the money back then, with LSL, Space quest, and king's quest. King's quest five...oh how many months I spent as a youth trying to figure out how to open the temple door in the desert. Police quest also. DOS box/nostalgia here i come....

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Cantthinkofaname]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Police Quest baby!

Loved that game

In my past I have owned an Apple IIe, Tandy, Amiga 2000 :-p

Good ole Sierra

Nice post OP

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I love those old sierra games!

For the SpaceQuest fans there have been at least two fan created games released. One is called Space Quest Episode 0: Replicated. And the other is Space Quest: The Lost Chapter.
Both are just like Episode 1 and 2 in appearance and interface. If you're a fan you'll enjoy them.
Now where did I leave that Orat on a stick?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join