It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Russia's 'Artic Sea' Carrying Missles to Iran?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
While this story is damn strange. Unless there was another docking that took place, how were they to offload missiles ( I'm assuming ones with nuclear warheads) onto a rubber dinghy?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

One SEAL team and one destroyer is hardly worth 12 ships including HK subs. Didn't you ever play RISK when you were younger.
?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
That wasn't my point. With all of the less-than-leathal weapons and training the the US arsenal, why did they have to kill those pirates? They're just fishermen put out of business, not enemy mercenaries. That's what I consider to be disproportionate.

Your logic still doesn't make sense to me. 12 destroyers increases the range of the search effort, and the ship wasn't even in the expected continent. Frankly I'm surprised that Russia was able to locate this ship after so long, and I doubt that their search fleet had much to do with finding it anyways (as opposed to global intel).

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
About the russian response being too much, has there ever been a rescue mission in the history of mankind that was called off because it was too expensive? As far as I can recollect there hasn't.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Iran will need the weapons after they use WMD and 2000 of their sites are taken out. Russia made some money, good for them.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Once again, russia claims to have had the vessel under surveillance the WHOLE time. They HAVE that capability. So why would it take "12 destroyers" and HK subs to rescue and follow one timber hauler? I would think if they knew where it was the whole time why not interdict on the high seas and make a PR event out of it? Instead they waited until the vessel was docked in port for 48 hours before the decided to have local officials barricade the ship till russian forces arrive. Russian task force arrived then arrested everyone on board. As far as has been reported with no shots fired. The supposed "hijackers" which were initially reported as fled from the ship while in EU waters. Between the inital loss of hijack signal till boarded, russian forces KNEW where it was at all times but were searching with HK subs and surface vessels. YES overkill.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Overkill or on-the-record in front of the world?
Gulf of Tonkin.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

You do have a point. However step back and look at the incident as a whole. You know that something isn't right with this. Russia's response and press releases SCREAM of caught with pants down and trying to do damage control.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I don't know if you have seen the reports of what transpired. The SEAL snipers had been targeting the hijackers for roughly 3 days and had been given orders to fire IF the hijackers were about to harm the captain. According to what was reported, (and from the guy we have in custody) the hijackers were getting agitated and started to use thier weapons in threatening manner in order to make thier point. The SEALs made a decision to end it . Honestly it is what it is.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd

Once again, russia claims to have had the vessel under surveillance the WHOLE time. They HAVE that capability. So why would it take "12 destroyers" and HK subs to rescue and follow one timber hauler?[edit on 2-9-2009 by djvexd]

Even if the ship had special cargo, why would the Russians need 12 destroyers? They could have even boarded the ship by special ops deployed by a chopper and the world wouldn't have to know anything about it and the ship could still be officially missing.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Besides why on earth people think Iran is somehow involved? There has been nothing to point to that. On the contrary if Iran was involved then they'd get their goods trough caspian or by air, not like this. If any shady gargo was involved it had to be mob or maybe terrorist.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Transporting a special person. And possibly a small amount of nuclear material. just sayin.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Based on exactly what? Are you psychic?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Where's that Lockerbie guy lately? He's training the next batch for the new moon Ramadan celebration.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I don't know. I sure as hell haven't seen any indication that he has anything to do with this incident. Zero, zip... none.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
I don't know. I sure as hell haven't seen any indication that he has anything to do with this incident. Zero, zip... none.

That was a random name. Whoelse is out there? 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Actually me and you agree there, I don't know how or even why Iran was even mentioned in that article. It was probably to juxtapose the Israeli commando theory. Lazy journalism.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
From the source:

But in an Aug. 18 statement, the Israeli Foreign Ministry said that Peres had discussed "the sale of Russian weapons and military hardware to countries hostile to Israel" with his Russian counterpart, Dmitri Medvedev, on that day during four hours of closed-door talks in the Russian city of Sochi. According to the statement, Peres "stressed that Israel has concrete proof of Russian weapons being transferred to terrorist organizations by Iran and Syria, especially to Hamas and Hizballah."A spokeswoman for the Israeli President declined to elaborate on any connection with the Arctic Sea.

Isreal has "concrete proof of Russian weaons being transferred to terrorist organizations".

Sounds like Russia has egg on its face and is in denial.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Yeah, because Israel can really accuse other countries of terrorism/supporting terrorists

Israel terrorizes Palestinians 24/7. They threaten the stability of the Middle East because they think that they, a people shoved into the region half a century ago, should control everything. No wonder Israel has so many enemies when they like to make up stories about powers like Russia and their Iranian friends.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join