It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qassam rocket fired at Israel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Rocket lands near community in Sdot Negev Regional Council amidst talks of revived Mideast peace negotiations. No injuries or damage reported in attack

Palestinian gunmen fired a Qassam rocket from northern Gaza Strip at Israel early Saturday morning. The rocket exploded in an open field near a community in the Sdot Negev Regional Council after the Color Red alert was sounded.

Ynews

And so it begins....again......

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I am sure they were provoked by the evil jews

*Sarcasm

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
And no doubt Israel will use the launching of this home-made rocket with 10lbs of explosive as an excuse to launch "defensive" measures with fighter jets, tanks and thousands of troops, killing hundreds of innocent people...

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You don't think the people who launched the rocket know this?. That's their point. Its a Win Win for Hamaas. And to me that's the evil part.
There is no reason to do it other then reaction. I can see if this was a planned operation because of the oppression they say they are fighting for, but it is not. Its to provoke plain and simple. They care about their own people as much as anyone else in that area. They don't

edit for spelling

[edit on 31-8-2009 by ShiftTrio]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Hopefully so. If you wish to be successful at defense against a belligerent aggressor like Hamas, you have to hit them with 100 times what they hit you with. If they hit you with 10 lbs of explosive, you hit them with 1,000 lbs. The main issue the Israelis have is a majority of the world refuses to see Hamas as the aggressor, even though they are the party always throwing the first punch.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
On the first day of Sept Hamas fires another Missile at Israel.
After the pounding delivered to them twice, they still fire a missile.

If this is Hamas, they are eventually going to fire one to many, and really sow the seeds of their demise. You can’t keep attacking a bigger foe, and only expect a minor ass whooping.

If this is Israel, they must be getting ready to deal a final blow. You don’t keep on instigating a battle with your neighbour just for kicks.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

would you not react in a "defensive" way to protect your loved ones?

tsl

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Guess they should stop doing stuff like: IDF Shoots Man In Foot While Handcuffed; Video Banned From Youtube.

IMO, at least.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Using that logic, the UK should have invaded and utterly obliterated the Republic of Ireland during the Troubles.

But, we didn't. We showed restraint and dealt with each attack as a criminal matter, sentencing those responsible.

Now we have had the IRA disarm, Sinn Fein join the Assembly and peace has returned with both communities building for a brighter future, despite the best efforts of American citizens with their funding for terrorists and baby-killers.

Israel pummels the Palestinians at every opportunity, breeding more hate and anger, fueling the cycle that will never end so long as they continue this. They could leanr from the UK, but their arrogance prevents them.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Don't try to lecture me on terrorism. I lived in NI during the 80's and know full well what it's about. I lived with the constant threat of getting in a car and being blown sky high, or going to town shopping and being gunned down.

But, the UK didn't bomb Ireland, did they? We dealt with it in a sensible manner, not overreacting and blowing the crap out of anyone who got in the way.

I suppose you'd fully support the bombing of Dublin should the IRA resume attacks?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I agree, whats that saying?
Waging war in the pursuit of peace is an oxymoron if ive ever heard of one.

You dont bomb a mans family, expecting him to live in peace with you.

Im not saying Israel need to just absorb these attacks, but least be honest.
A Qassam rocket isnt much at all. Hell I could make something bigger from my kitchen cupboard chemicals.

Surely there must be a better answer.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by shanerz

....or how about last Thursday, the Palestinian fisherman killed by Israeli Navy fire on the Gaza strip, or how the IDF soldier suspected of killing a Palestinian man in front of his 7 year old son has still not been charged, or how about the numerous attacks on Palestinians, their cars, and their olive groves by Israeli settlers...all out of revenge for their own government evacuating them from their illegal settlements?! Where is the outrage for this?

I'm not saying that this latest rocket attack on Israel was warrented.....but you should at least condemn the acts of agression from BOTH sides.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

And look at the UK now.

Pathetic.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

What do you mean by that?

The Troubles are over, the people are governing themselves and the IRA has disarmed.

What's your point?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Abbby

I was saying IDF had a Palestinian man bound and blindfolded and shot him in the foot. It was instigated by the commander of the 77th.

And no, I never said shooting rockets is the answer. But if Israel wants to be a leading authority in the ME and the world, they ought to start setting positive examples. If they have the power, and claim desire, to make a rough situation turned into a positive one, then I hold them to much higher standards. Just as I do my own country - which is why I'll call them out for being a buncha douches. Seems like that's all I've been doing too.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by shanerz

I think you misunderstood....I wasn't being critical of your post, I was just adding to it. My suggestion at the end to show the wrongdoings of both sides of this mess were directed to the OP. My apologies!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
For those who don't think this is a big deal......

Imagine it is YOUR house being targeted?

Imagine it is YOUR family injured or killed by these terrorists and their weapons.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
I am sure they were provoked by the evil jews

*Sarcasm

I never thought evil (or good) ever came into it, just whether you were prepared to drop warheads on other human beings to solve your problems

A

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Look at what your pacifism got you.

It is like watching 1984 in real time.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Stu, with all due respect there is not much in the way of comparison between the NI troubles and the troubles in the Middle East, although I can see why it is a comfortable analogy. During Operation Cast Lead I had my own internal struggle and I thought the same thing at one point. However the analogy does not stand up to reasonable scrutiny:

1) The IRA, or the republican movement, did not enjoy a majority of popular support in Ulster (although I understand they did in Ireland as a whole). Hamas's goals (Islamification of the region, downfall of the Israeli government) do enjoy popular support amongst Palestinians in varying degrees.

2) The IRA did not have military control over any area - although they did have some authority over predominantly Catholic areas, they were not able to operate freely in those areas. The British maintained control throughout. Hamas, on the other hand, has complete and total control over the Gaza Strip (but not over its borders) - thanks to the disastrous concessionary policies of the Sharon government.

3) The attacks from Hamas are not comparable to the attacks on mainland Britain by the IRA. The IRA attacked civilian, political and military targets using explosive devices. Hamas attacks civilian targets only, using ranged weapons. The difference is that the first type of attack can be dealt with using traditional counter-terrorism methods (as Israel has also successfully done in the past against bombings), whereas the second cannot. I really do not see an alternative to restricting the import of weaponry and military strikes on the launch sites.

4) The motivation is significantly different. The IRA's reason for its attacks was to create fear and reduce support amongst the British for the Irish loyalist cause. Hamas's main reasons for attacking Israel are two-fold: To provoke a military response in order to garner sympathy and support overseas, which translates directly into cash, and to make life difficult or impossible for people living in towns bordering Gaza, thus increasing their sphere of influence.

5) We in Britain did not beat the IRA or republican terrorism. We maintained the status quo, and would have done so indefinitely. That's what governments tend to do (except Labour governments, which tend to legislate like there's no tomorrow until everything's broken). What finally defeated terrorism and the IRA was the drying up of funds from overseas (particularly the US) in the wake of 9/11. This made it easier to buy the IRA leadership.

6) We were never attacked by Ireland. If Ireland has started lobbing missiles into Protestant communities in Ulster, we would have retaliated with extreme prejudice. And we would not have been taking the measures that Israel took to avoid civilian casualties, and we certainly wouldn't have paid attention to the UN telling us to stop.

While the leaders of the republican cause (particularly Adams and McGuiness) sold out to Britain, the cause is still very much alive and well and all of the hatred and resentment is still there. That will take generations of effort.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by mattpryor]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join