It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Skinny on Sugar

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I love sugar. But I think there is a huge HUGE difference between the fruit punch, candy sugar and the natural sugars found in fruits and other foods. I think there is also a large difference between baking cookies or muffins or whatever YOURSELF, and buying it prepackaged in stores.

I know, I've got a tea cake recipe on the counter and my ingredients out. I bake from scratch.

I think that the preservatives found in foods are much more dangerous than the base ingredients, like sugar. I also believe that sugar is a better alternative to corn syrup, which I do use in my baking occasionally, but usually just in making glazes for cookies and when making confections. I also, also believed that butter and shortening can be just as dangerous as sugar in terms of many things on that list.

That list is pretty intense, but many other things we eat everyday can cause that. Especially with food allergies and adverse reactions. Chances are, if you're going to have severe issues with sugar, you'll know early on in life. Even obesity, maybe.

I'm starting to think that obesity is really genetic. I've seen a father and daughter who I know personally who have the same exact shape, and I know that the daughter doesn't eat awful foods and she's severely obese. My diet is high-ish in natural sugars and carbs, but I do indulge in lots of baked goods, and I'm underweight and have low blood pressure. My mom was like that and once she got pregnant, her metabolism completely changed and she's a bit heavy now, but it's very easy for her to lose weight.

So, really, if you look at caffeine, hydrogenated fats, corn syrup... I think it depends how you use sugar but it's not this death-powder stuff, if you consume in proper forms and proper amounts.

In essence, of course I'm stocking up. I tried making a pie with that Splenda stuff once, it was scary.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

OK Ravenshadow...
Up With the Tea Cake recipe!

That sounds delicious.

I realize that we have all been schooled in the evils of sugar, but for goodness sakes people its sweet!

I have tried this year unsuccsefully to grow albino beets, to make my own sugar.

Next year I will try again.

But in the meantime, I figure that if the bottom drops out of the dollar things like sugar will be a luxury and I could easily barter for other goods and services.

I may not be able to afford gold, but I can stock up on coco, sugar, vanilla, coffee, tobacco, even homemade beer making stuff, tampons, TP and soaps, to name but a few of the items I see becoming in short supply.

Should this have been better suited for the survival forum? To many people sugar is going to be the most precious commodity.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Speaking of sugar...

With all of the serious threats of flu viruses I figured that I would share with you a few simple electrolyte solutions I found while searching around the Google.

The idea came to me several years ago to look for an alternate solution in case I was unable to take my family to the ER or Doctor for extreme illness and or quarantine situations.

Here are a few recipes and I can only pray that some of the people that think sugar is something they should not ever have on hand rethink that as if you were to enter a hospital the first thing they would do is hook up a bag with really nothing more than potassium, salts and sugars in an IV.

This may not be IV but can help keep the electrolyte balance and hydration going, man I am tired but wanted to add this for anyone that may get caught at home so sick you are unable to make it to the doctor or store for gatorade or pedialyte.

So here goes and if anyone has a beter solution (whitewave ehem...) go fo it I am open!

1Qt. Boiled water
3T orange juice
1t sea salt
1T Cornsyrup
2 QT Boiled water
1/4 t sea salt
1/2 t salt substitute
1/2 t baking soda
3TKayro syrup

1 Qt. boiled water
3oz Orangejuice
1 1/2 Cup 7up
1 t sea salt
1T sugar

1 liter boiled water
1 Tsugar
1 t sea salt
add chamomile tea or lemon juice for flavor

Some of the other suggestions were to premake some icecube trays up with this for younger children as popsickles which sooth the throat and help get them to hydrate when they otherwise may not want anything.

Another person suggested using Agave instead of sugar.

And several suggested mixing unflavored koolaid for a more gatoraide type taste.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Om, this thread actually keeps going down under the one about chicks being ground up alive! People, comment here not in that thread!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join