It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using my 1 TB External Hard Drive...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I have a Western Digital, 1 TB External Hard Drive, with virutually all of the space available at this time.

I just got a new 47” High Def TV - yay me and have just picked up my HD, DVR cable box.

Is there a way that I can use my DVR box to record and then using my computer, move the recordings to my External HD to save and then burn to DVD if I want to?

I’m lost in all this technology.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I think it would depend on the proprietary software on your DVR. I highly doubt they would allow something like that to happen.

For example, if you cancelled your cable, your DVR would suddenly be cleared. They add firewalls like this to stop you from doing things like you're trying to do.

Now, its different if you get your own DVR, I believe, and not one from the cable co. I know there are restrictions on my Motorola box that doesn't allow me to move information from it.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Actually if you had a TV tuner card on your computer you can use your computer as the DVR instead of owning your own DVR. There are sites that can walk you through the exact process if you google it. Also if you have an XBOX you can watch the things you record through the XBOX media center.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
OK, lets start with the exact brand model of dvr you have.

From there, we can see the ports on the box and from that, we can tell if it's gonna happen or not.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hi There.

It's Pace TDC787x.

manual

On page 8 is a pic.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Your unit has hdmi, ethernet, sata and svideo outputs.

I am thinking the sata output to an external drive is the ticket.
( it says sata for an external disk)

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

So, using SATA, I can DL the movies or content to my External HD and then burn it to disc if I want to?

Sounds simple.... I'll screw it up somehow though.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

You, of course, mean you will use the hard drive to increase the available space on your DVR.

Of course, you would not burn movies as that is illegal.

I know you meant use it for increased storage.
(movies can take anywheres from 1-4 gigs/hour on a DVR, so there is a need for larger storage).

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Oh yeah... thats what I meant.

Hey.... The external HD that I have only has USB plug.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

www.clubmac.com... %2F+SATA%2D150+%2D+Hi%2DSpeed+USB+%2D+black%2DTest+Equipment&store=clubmac&dpno=7276815&source=CWBBIZRATE&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=17-36883219-2&a dcampaign=email,CWBBIZRATE&wt.mc_id=CWBBIZRATE

www.bizrate.com...

sata to usb connectors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

top topics

join