It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H1N1 Chickens To Be Fed To Humans (BBC)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MightyAl

How does anyone know that anyone or any animals that recovered from the swine flu has in fact fully recovered?

What if the virus simply lies dormant and mutates with H5N1 later on? Are those who recover from H1N1 really virus free? Or is the worst yet to come? I would recommend culling the H1N1 birds...what do you think?

[edit on 31-8-2009 by MightyAl]

I think you are over-reacting a bit here. Chicken, and most poultry for that matter, carries MANY bacteria in its raw state that can kill a living human being. That is why it is always important to cook, and temp, your poultry.

But lets go with the WHAT-IF'S here. What if eating meat from a recovered chicken actually strengthens a person's ability to fight the virus. What if ingesting the virus is actually a good thing. It is quite honestly just as feasable as your "what-if".

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by angelx666

Seafood also comes from the oily seas filled with atomic waste and probably every other waste we can think of from the ships and the dumping, but we still eat seafood, and enjoy it tremendously. I'm starting to think of the three eyed fish in the Simpsons

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

That's why I asked "what if" to receive other "what ifs". Thanks for your input. We could test to see if a human that consumed a fully cooked infected chicken subsequently became immune to H1N1. A little risky though...

While it seems that many people don't find cooked infected chicken to be much of a risk or a risk at all, we still need to think about live infected chickens running about a farm, and how they will transmit the virus strain.

According to an academic article by G.C. Gray:

Recent research has shown that poultry and swine workers, especially those with intense exposures, are at increased risk of zoonotic influenza virus infections.

In multiple studies, US poultry workers and poultry veterinarians have evidence of previous infections with avian influenza virus. Similarly, US swine workers have strong evidence of previous and acute infections with swine influenza viruses.

Mathematical modeling has demonstrated that such workers may accelerate the spread of pandemic viruses in their rural communities.

You can read the article further at Pub Med Central

Retrospective seroprevalence studies among Hong Kong bird market workers in 1997 and 1998 showed that 10% had evidence of H5N1 infection.

While such epidemiological studies are relatively few, it seems clear that human avian influenza virus infections often follow exposure to dead or sick birds.

Considering the recently emergent highly-pathogenic H5N1 viruses, the exposure most commonly implicated has been free-ranging poultry and small poultry flocks

It is important to note that while avian influenza viruses are rarely detected among swine, swine influenza viruses are rather commonly detected among domestic avian species.

Hence, it seems quite possible that reassortant viruses could emerge with genetic components of human, swine, and poultry viruses as facilitated by workers’ man’s intense occupational exposures to domestic animals.

Recent modeling studies were conducted to evaluate influenza transmission risk associated with modern animal confinement facilities.

Assuming an influenza virus has similar transmission characteristics within and between species, in communities with a high proportion of swine or poultry workers working in large animal confinement facilities, the workers may more readily spread the virus to others in their communities and thus accelerate the epidemic.

In settings where agricultural workers make up as much as 45% of the employed, these workers would increase influenza infections among community members by as much as 86%.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MightyAl

Plus we have sage hen around here. (kinda like a wild chicken) I'm sure they would have a minimal chance of being exposed to the virus. Plus I bet the wild pigs (boar) around here would be a safer alternative to domestic pork. Plus the game out here is so overpopulated (understatement, especially with mule deer) that there is plenty of every species to go around.

There haven't really been any cases of swine flu around here, and the three that we did have where later found to be a misdiagnosis.(it was just the regular ol everyday flu bug) This would be a good state to live in during the harder times. Everyone always forgets about Wyoming lol.

On a further note..... Horse? I don't think I could ever bring myself to eat a horse, they are one of man's best friends. I like to keep my allies in the animal kingdom close.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelx666
i wouldn't advise eating any form of meat right now, tho.. i still like fish, but possible will be mercurilised too, as soon as those new mercury bulb waste gets in to the rivers

[edit on 31-8-2009 by angelx666]

That's why I live in Wyoming. Clean water, clean air. Probably one of the last places in the States you can really find such a thing. Our Mercury levels are almost nonexistent. I still think my favorite part is the clean air though. Believe me, you can tell the difference with one breath.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join