It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Lure Fugitives With Stimulus Checks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
When you get the letter telling you that there is a stimulus check waiting for you, you might want to think twice about going to pick it up.

MIAMI -- Police in Florida are using the promise of a stimulus check to make some arrests.
Authorities in Fort Lauderdale say they sent letters to fugitives offering them stimulus money. The suspects were asked to call a hot line and set up an appointment to pickup a check from an auditorium where "South Florida Stimulus Coalition" banners hung.
When the fugitives arrived, they were identified and about 75 were arrested on offenses ranging from grand theft to fraud to attempted murder.
Police spokesman Sgt. Frank Sousa says the two-day sting was dubbed "Operation Show Me The Money." Sousa says the sting saved man hours and allowed police to make arrests in a controlled environment.
Sousa said Thursday the department may try something similar in the future.

I bet they had a grand old time.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
If they have an address to send a letter to, why don't they just go pick them up? Sounds like a waste of money to me.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

They are usually not at home when Johnny Law comes calling. I think this way is much safer for the general public and it probably saves money too.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by damwel

They are usually not at home when Johnny Law comes calling. I think this way is much safer for the general public and it probably saves money too.

I'm all FOR the saving of money and lives. I also remember stories about 'giveaways' and the like, where they promise a free toaster, or a trip to the Bahamas or something, and have these guys saunter in looking for their free goodies.

In a way, it's sort of amusing, but in a way, it leaves a bad taste. It's been understood for a long time, that cops are allowed to lie, cheat and steal to 'get their guy.' You know, basically all of the stuff that 'their guy' did in the first place.

I just think that if cops are going to be the ones capturing the ones doing the 'bad' stuff, they shouldn't be doing the 'bad' stuff to catch them. Doesn't that make THEM criminals?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I saw this on the Simpsons where homer got a letter telling him to pick up a speed boat at the police station, they arrested him when he went in.
Funny !

new topics

top topics

join