It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Draft - A reminder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Here's a bit of information with regards the draft that I was not aware of before today. It may be of use if the Bush Administration attempts to re-initiate it.

The conscription of our youth is similar. A local draft board selects and recommends them. Inductees go through a physical examination and can be deferred if they are not physically up to the task or are otherwise disqualified as sole providers for instance. But, more importantly, they are also expected to volunteer though most do not know this until it's too late ...

The Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution, ratified in 1865, says; "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

The Article then explains the procedures with regards the draft. At one particular point, 'draftees' are instructed to take an oath.

This oath is usually preceded by a firm request to step forward. To take one step beyond a line or simply one step forward depending on how many inductees are being sworn in and the size of the room or field. This "step forward" is crucial for one reason and one reason only � it supposedly makes the oath and induction voluntary in accordance with the Thirteenth Amendment above. "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude ... shall exist within the United States ..." Anyone who steps forward as well as anyone who signs up with an Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine, or Army Reserve recruiter is a volunteer ...

During the Viet Nam conflict, Cassius Clay (Muhammed Ali) refused to step forward and was sent home.

Read the full article here.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Cool..

Much easier than the "I LOST MY LEGS" plan I had going.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I couldnt get into the army anyways...legally blind, as well as colorblind.

join