It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Republican Party Is Turning Into A Cult

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
First, before you read the article you must know that I'm not trying to make a political attack on republicans. It's just the title of the article.
I don't need to be a Democrat to enjoy the hell out of this, in fact, i don't need to be either. I'm fine in knowing that the two parties make themselves look bad enough while not tackling issues, just arguing and arguing and accusing.

I take pride in not clinging to a political party.
I don't get involved in either party or their arguments.

I'll sit back and view the whole picture, i don't listen to the party-specific propaganda. I don't need to because i just don't see the point in rooting for any teams other than the N.Y.Yankees and Giants.

Maybe i'm too cocky on this issue but damn it feels good not having to take sides. And maybe this is a bit of a rant so, here's the article: digg.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Great article! The right wing has totally lost it, reality means nothing to them anymore.
Those that "fear: Obama need to take heed of the right, they apparently will stop at nothing, including violence and treason, to return to power.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Sounds to me like the Republicans have finally caught up to where the Democrats have been for over a decade!

It's good to know that we now have TWO political parties that have absoutely no basis in reality, are derived from mere cult-of-personality and are completely out of touch with the wants and needs to the vast majority of voters in this country.

So, now that everyone knows that the country is being run by two cults, what's next!?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The "left-right" paradigm is false. People need to learn that both parties have each other's best interests at heart, and that supporting one means supporting the other.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by patent98310

Our two political parties are not cults, they are elitists dominated fantasies, that are good for two things, keep the population divided and against each other.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Exactly.

But they do use cult tactics to gain a following.
Why would people be so involved in these arguments on either side, when Democrats and republicans seem to be doing anything but fulfilling what they should accomplish as the leaders of our country.
It's like all people care about is how much their interests are spoken of before election time, but after it's all said and done they forget that these people need to follow through. They just go back home and forget like it was just another season of a crappy drama show.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Well if you put that way I guess you are right, nothing more than Charismatic idols for peoples to fall for it.

With the exception of Bush, charismatic he was not.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Something must have made up for the incompetence and total lack of responsibility, probably family ties and the swift circulation of money. He played stupid the whole time and the simpletons liked relating to the president, so i guess you could call him charismatic...

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
So a website called "Progressives.com" calls the Republican Party a cult? I guess some will say anything to advance their own agenda.

Progressives.com ? I guess Liberals.com was already taken.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Wait, wait, wait....

So an article that points out the absolute stupidity of some republicans, allowing people to avoid the confusion and propaganda over an important matter is advancing the liberal agenda?

So i'm guessing you still believe Obama has a death panel just waiting to kill off some unwilling grandmothers?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Nice job! You stepped right into it! I was wondering where that smell was coming from; now I know!

It's no longer even entertaining watching an idiot argue into the mirror - in fact, it has become scarier than ever. The part that shocks me the most is that otherwise smart people can't see what is so painfully obvious to those of us in the middle!

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I hope your not saying the smell was me

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by patent98310

So i'm guessing you still believe Obama has a death panel just waiting to kill off some unwilling grandmothers?

Since Palin brought it up, it was removed from the pending bill. So I don't believe that any more.

Hint: Progressives = Liberals

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well, that article was most definately written by a left wing liberal as democratic propaganda. There are nuts on both wings of the spectrum and it is certainly not solely republican quackery.

IMO the partisan split and healthcare debate is all to misdirect us from the real deal with the Cap and Trade bill. That will certainly effect us more then either party's take on the healthcare craziness.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Republicans ignore this situation at their peril. Of course they discount this, but the future doesn't look too good, despite the propaganda.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Well this is nice considering all the name calling from either side.

I'm a registered Independent and will stay that way for life. I know the 2 party system is a sham, as is most party boundaries. Just funny to see it coming from the other side.

I see the problem though, because someone has to point the finger. I don't see any one stepping up to take resposibility as far as Congress goes. Funny, we all know we need to re-populate the congressional staff. With real people, no lobbyists' and true Americans. People who actually believe in withholding the value of our nations laws. The Constitution.

:bnghd:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I too am an independent. I think that political parties should be outlawed in the US.

They have become synonymous with a sport team. People support their team regardless to how poorly they are doing or how badly the players behave. It is about loyalty and has nothing to do with the game anymore.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I posted this not to offend or call names at any specific party. I stated that I do not need to be a democrat to enjoy the hell out of this article. I enjoy this article regardless of who wrote it. I don't need to be a liberal to laugh at this. I'm not automatically a liberal if i judge republicans, because i also judge those who act ignorantly who call themselves democrat or liberal.

So, since most republicans are only focused on arguing against liberals and democrats. And most democrats are only focused on arguing against republicans and conservatives, lets play a little game:

1.) Drop the label 'Republican' or 'Democrat'

2.) Stop labeling other people as 'Liberals' or 'Conservatives (Right&Left, ETC) when debating or arguing. Don't even mention the word. Stop loading your arguments with crap based on what your told about the "other side" or predetermined bias.
Basically, don't speak if your not speaking to resolve the issue.

3.) Once steps 1 - 2 are accomplished you will notice how, without being able
to use a political stance of right or left in your arguments against people, you will actually have to come up with something based on facts and details. No more deflection and name calling shells for the shotgun. Opinions and rumor seem to be used as facts everywhere now.

4.) Something ends up being accomplished because the elites will no longer be able to fill your head with reasons your better than the democrats or republicans, and why you should do this or that.

You see, your blind to your own party. How are we supposed to fix anything when we're always focused on the other side?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
can anyone quote the article for me because I can't open it.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Some­thing strange has hap­pened in Amer­ica in the nine months since Barack Obama was elected. It has best been sum­ma­rized by the come­dian Bill Maher: “The Democ­rats have moved to the right, and the Repub­li­cans have moved to a men­tal hospital.” The elec­tion of Obama — a centre-left black man — as a suc­ces­sor to George W. Bush has scram­bled the core Amer­i­can right’s view of their coun­try. In their gut, they saw the US as a white-skinned, right-wing nation for­ever shaped like Sarah Palin. When this image was repu­di­ated by a major­ity of Amer­i­cans in a mas­sive land­slide, it sim­ply didn’t com­pute. How could this have hap­pened? How could the cry of “Drill, baby, drill” have been beaten by a sup­pos­edly big gov­ern­ment black guy? So a streak that has always been there in the Amer­i­can right’s world-view — to deny real­ity, and argue against a demonic phan­tasm of their own cre­ation — has swollen. Now it is all they can see. Since Obama’s rise, the US right has been skip­ping fran­ti­cally from one fan­tasy to another, like a per­son in the throes of a men­tal break­down. It started when they claimed he was a secret Mus­lim, and — at the same time — that he was a mem­ber of a black nation­al­ist church that hated white peo­ple. Then, once these argu­ments were rejected and Obama won, they began to argue he was born in Kenya and secretly smug­gled into the United States as a baby, and the Hawai­ian author­i­ties con­spired to fake his US birth cer­tifi­cate. So he is inel­i­gi­ble to rule and the office of Pres­i­dent should pass to… the Repub­li­can runner-up, John McCain. These aren’t fringe phe­nom­ena: a Research 2000 poll found that a major­ity of Repub­li­cans and South­ern­ers say Obama wasn’t born in the US, or aren’t sure. A steady steam of Repub­li­can con­gress­men have been jab­ber­ing that Obama has “ques­tions to answer.” No amount of hard evi­dence — here’s his birth cer­tifi­cate, here’s a pic­ture of his mother heav­ily preg­nant in Hawaii, here’s the announce­ment of his birth in the local Hawai­ian paper — can pierce this conviction. This trend has reached its apoth­e­o­sis this sum­mer with the Repub­li­can Party claim­ing en masse that Obama wants to set up “death pan­els” to euth­a­nize the old and dis­abled. Yes: Sarah Palin really has claimed — with a straight face — that Barack Obama wants to kill her baby. You have to admire the audac­ity of the right. Here’s what’s actu­ally hap­pen­ing. The US is the only major indus­tri­al­ized coun­try that does not pro­vide reg­u­lar health­care to all its cit­i­zens. Instead, they are required to pro­vide for them­selves — and 50 mil­lion peo­ple can’t afford the insur­ance. As a result, 18,000 US cit­i­zens die every year need­lessly, because they can’t access the care they require. That’s equiv­a­lent to six 9/11s, every year, year on year. Yet the Repub­li­cans have accused the Democ­rats who are try­ing to stop all this death by extend­ing health­care of being “killers” — and they have suc­cess­fully man­aged to put them on the defensive. The Repub­li­cans want to defend the exist­ing sys­tem, not least because they are given mas­sive sums of money by the pri­vate med­ical firms who ben­e­fit from the deadly sta­tus quo. But they can’t do so hon­estly: some 70 per­cent of Amer­i­cans say it is “immoral” to retain a med­ical sys­tem that doesn’t cover all cit­i­zens. So they have to invent lies to make any life-saving exten­sion of health­care sound depraved. A few months ago, a recent board mem­ber for sev­eral pri­vate health cor­po­ra­tions called Betsy McCaughey noticed a clause in the pro­posed health­care leg­is­la­tion that would pay for old peo­ple to see a doc­tor and write a liv­ing will. They could stip­u­late when (if at all) they would like care to be with­drawn. It’s totally vol­un­tary. Many peo­ple want it: I know I wouldn’t want to be kept alive for a few extra months if I was only going to be in agony and unable to speak. But McCaughey started the rumour that this was a form of euthana­sia, where old peo­ple would be forced to agree to death. This was then stretched some­how to include the dis­abled. It was flatly untrue — but the right had their talk­ing point, Palin declared the sys­tem “down­right evil”, and they were off. It’s been amaz­ingly suc­cess­ful. Now, every con­ver­sa­tion about health­care has to begin with a Demo­c­rat explain­ing at great length that, no, they are not in favour of killing the elderly — while Repub­li­cans get away with defend­ing a sta­tus quo that kills 18,000 peo­ple a year. The hypocrisy was star­ling: when Sarah Palin was Gov­er­nor of Alaska, she encour­aged cit­i­zens there to take out liv­ing wills. Almost all the Repub­li­cans lead­ing the charge against “death pan­els” have voted for liv­ing wills in the past. But the lie has done its work: a con­fetti of dis­trac­tions has been thrown up, and sup­port is leak­ing away from the plan that would save lives. These claims have become so detached from real­ity that they often seem like black com­edy. The right-wing mag­a­zine US Investors’ Daily claimed that if Steven Hawk­ing had been British, he would have been allowed to die at birth by its “social­ist” health­care sys­tem. Hawk­ing responded was a polite cough that he is British, and “I wouldn’t be here with­out the NHS.” Frank Laf­fer, the right-wing econ­o­mist lauded by David Cameron, claimed on CNN that it would be a dis­as­ter if the gov­ern­ment got its hands on Medicare, the pro­gram pro­vid­ing health­care for the elderly, paid for entirely by… the government. This ten­dency to sim­ply deny incon­ve­nient facts and invent a fantasy-world isn’t new; it’s only becom­ing more height­ened. It ran through the Bush years like a dash of bour­bon in water. When it became clear Sad­dam Hus­sein had no Weapons of Mass Destruc­tion, the US right sim­ply claimed they had been shipped to Syria. When the sci­en­tific evi­dence for man-made global warm­ing became unan­swer­able, they claimed — as one Repub­li­can con­gress­man put it — that it was “the great­est hoax in human his­tory”, and all the world’s cli­ma­tol­o­gists were “liars”. The Amer­i­can media then presents itself as an umpire between “the rival sides”, as if they both had evi­dence behind them. It’s a shame, because there are some areas in which a con­ser­v­a­tive phi­los­o­phy –remind­ing us of the lim­its of grand human schemes, and advis­ing cau­tion — could be a use­ful cor­rec­tive. But that’s not these what so-called “con­ser­v­a­tives” are pro­vid­ing: instead, they are pump­ing up a hys­ter­i­cal fan­tasy, that is only a thin skin cov­er­ing raw eco­nomic inter­ests and base prejudices. For many of the peo­ple at the top, this is mere cyn­i­cal manip­u­la­tion: one of Bush’s for­mer advi­sors, David Kuo, has said the Pres­i­dent and Karl Rove would mock evan­gel­i­cals as “nuts” as soon as they left the Oval Office. But the ordi­nary Repub­li­can base believe it. They are being cru­elly manip­u­lated into oppos­ing their own inter­ests through false fears and invented demons. Last week, one of the Repub­li­cans sent to dis­rupt a health­care town hall started a fight and was injured — and then com­plained he had no health insur­ance. I didn’t laugh; I wanted to weep. Indeed, if you spend any time with Amer­i­can right-wingers — as I have, report­ing under­cover on events like the National Review cruise and the Chris­t­ian Coali­tion Sol­i­dar­ity Tour of Israel — you soon find that your argu­ments don’t cen­tre on phi­los­o­phy. You have to con­cen­trate on cor­rect­ing basic fac­tual errors about the real world. They insist Europe has fallen to Islam, since Mus­lims immi­grants are becom­ing a major­ity and are impos­ing sharia law. In real­ity, Mus­lims make up 3 per­cent of the pop­u­la­tion of Europe, and most of them oppose sharia law. They insist Franklin Roo­sevelt caused the Great Depres­sion, and should have cut gov­ern­ment spend­ing. In real­ity, when­ever he did cut spend­ing — as he tried peri­od­i­cally through­out the 1930s — the econ­omy began to tank. But explain this patiently — with a thou­sand sources — and they sim­ply shriek that you are lying, and they know “in their heart” what is true. They insist gay mar­riage would cause the insti­tu­tion of the fam­ily to col­lapse. In real­ity, where it has already been intro­duced in Europe, het­ero­sex­ual fam­i­lies con­tinue just as before. On the list goes: evo­lu­tion is a lie, a blas­to­cyst is akin to a baby, tor­ture pro­duces action­able intelligence… How do they train them­selves to be so imper­vi­ous to real­ity? It begins, I sus­pect, with reli­gion. They are taught from a young age that it is good to have “faith” — which is, by def­i­n­i­tion, a belief with­out any evi­dence to back it up. You don’t have “faith” Aus­tralia exists, or fire burns: you have evi­dence. You only need “faith” to believe the untrue or unprov­able. Indeed, they are taught that faith is the high­est aspi­ra­tion and most noble cause. Is it any sur­prise this then per­co­lates into their polit­i­cal views? Faith-based think­ing spreads and con­t­a­m­i­nates the rational. Up to now, Obama has not responded well to this onslaught of unrea­son. He has tried to con­cil­i­ate the elite eco­nomic inter­ests, and joke about the fanat­i­cal fringe they are stir­ring up. He has shame­fully assured the phar­ma­ceu­ti­cal com­pa­nies that an expanded health­care sys­tem will not use the power of gov­ern­ment as a pur­chaser to bar­gain down drug prices, while wryly say­ing that he “doesn’t want to kill Grandma.” Rather than chal­leng­ing these hard inter­ests and bizarre fan­tasies aggres­sively, he has tried to flat­ter and soothe them. His health­care plan is weaker and harder to explain as a result. But this kind of mania can’t be co-opted: it can only by over-ruled. Some­times in pol­i­tics you will have ene­mies, and they must be demo­c­ra­t­i­cally defeated. The polit­i­cal sys­tem can­not be gummed up by a need to reach out to the mad­dest peo­ple with the mad­dest fears. There is no way to expand health­care with­out anger­ing Big Pharma and the Repub­licaloons. So be it. As Ari­anna Huff­in­g­ton put it, “It is as though, at the height of the civil rights move­ment, you thought you had to bring together Mar­tin Luther King and George Wal­lace and make them agree. It’s not how change happens.” How­ever strange it seems, the Repub­li­can Party really is spin­ning off into a bizaro-cult who believe Barack Obama is a baby-killer plot­ting to build death pan­els for the grannies of Amer­ica. Their new slo­gan should be — shrill, baby, shrill.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join