It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens Exist - Newsweek August 31, 2009

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I found this immediately welcoming to see a mainstream media publication printing the headline "Aliens Exist" as the #1 fact of 21 facts you should know right now.

But even if E.T. exists off the silver screen, the chances that he'll discover us any time soon are vanishingly slim (Reese's Pieces or not). After all, projects like SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) have been waiting since 1960 for aliens to make contact—without hearing the slightest peep. The good news, however, is that some scientists are finally focusing on the other side of the equation: a series of high-tech missions designed to help us find them. And even at this early stage, the circumstantial evidence they've gathered has made it clear that we're probably not alone in the universe.

The Full Article

It is only a matter of time before life existing outside of our world is wholly confirmed and reported to the world by top scientists.

What is your take on the media now starting to come around about face? TPTB losing their grip? Or slowly trickling more information out for us to feed on??

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
First of all, the article is not a declaration of "alien life" as your misleading title suggests. Second, I don't think anyone around here is doubting whether aliens exist or not, but rather if they are or have visited here.

I don't think there is any more "hype" in the media than normal if you take the averages over the years. I have been around this subject for a long time, and have seen the ebb and flow of media interest, but it doesn't amount to anything that is "leading" us to "disclosure" or that the "ptb" is loosing their grip on the big "secret". I just think it is interesting scientific news that people like to read about, especially since a big portion of our entertainment over the last 100 years have been about aliens and whatnot.

People like to see articles talking about how the truth can be stranger than fiction and other things related to their entertainment. I know I do. There is no doubt we will discover "habitable" worlds VERY soon (within most of our lifetimes) but I doubt we will be able to go farther than that, such as detect life on them for a VERY long time. Space is big.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the post!

I have contributed with the SETI project for a few months now and it is indeed a very special program.
However, I don't know what to think about mainstreaming alien's existance because as we know sometimes too much information can become source of extreme misinformation which just stagnates any beleifs of truth.
People need proof and media is not always the best way....

Now that I think of it, what would we really need to make people beleive something as big as Alien existance?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Niinnai

Now that I think of it, what would we really need to make people believe something as big as Alien existence?

Well, I don't think we need to do much. I think I saw a survey that stated the majority of people believe in Alien life. But the real question is where are they?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I'm just waiting like probably many others are for a major intervention and correction...........again.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I believe there is intelligent life out there, and the reason they don't contact us is because they are intelligent.

We are an infant species still in it's crib, crying out to have it's diaper changed. We crap all over everything and generally stink up the place.

Only when we have grown to the point where we can get along with each other, will another species consider getting along with us.

Just my thoughts,

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Maybe they are waiting....

Maybe they are watching for the 5th time the destruction of our planet by us...
What would you do if it finally became "open" ?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I don't even know what alien means. Beings outside our frame of reference, interdimensional, time travelers, paranormal entities, star children, space men? Something is going on but perhaps our primitive senses are incapable of seeing it and even if we could; are we capable of conceptualizing it?

Perhaps we are like the ranchers cattle, happily munching our grass, completely unaware that the truck is coming to take us to the slaughter house where we will eventually become happy meals.

The Newsweek article I don't think gave us any new information.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Perhaps we are like the ranchers cattle, happily munching our grass, completely unaware that the truck is coming to take us to the slaughter house where we will eventually become happy meals.

Speak for yourself. If that really is the case, I hope I'm the equivalent of Kobe beef.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PenandSword

Originally posted by whaaa

Speak for yourself. If that really is the case, I hope I'm the equivalent of Kobe beef.

Ha Ha. Yes, Kobe beef. Pampered, massaged, sweet music to listen to, fresh beer. Ahhhhhh, yes. lol.

SETI was mentioned in the article. Maybe SETI isn't using the proper method to detect other living creatures in the universe. Maybe the Earth and humans are just a poop stain in the drawers of the universe. Nothing at all indicative to what is "out there". I've read various accounts from people who claim to have been contacted by aliens. Many times communication seems to be "thought". Can SETI detect thought? Suppose other creatures can just think propel their ships. Could SETI detect this?
Just a few rambling thoughts.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I like the skeptical approach from the article, however I do feel it would be important to point out that SETI searches for extraterrestrial civilizations via radio signals... and the topic has recently been brought up that thier approach is has been doomed from the beginning.

For a radio circuit to be established, it is necessary to generate a signal, transmit that signal through space, recieve that signal in a reciever sensitive enough to perceive that signal amidst the "noise" (self-generated interference) that every receiver generates, or the radio noise that comes from natural cosmic sources (or, in some cases, man-made noise). That noise has to be overcome by making the signal strong enough to overpower the inherent noise of the receiver, which is the result of the laws of physics and can be minimized to some degree, but not eliminated. Additionally, the farther the signal travels through space, the more of it is lost through spreading out - a problem called "path loss." It is why distant headlights are more faint than close ones. So a communications circuit, whether man made or one being conducted with extraterrestrials, has to overcome these two problems - receiver noise and path loss.

SOURCE

There are far better ways an advanced civilization would contact us, or for that matter to search for other intelligent civilizations. because of this articles' reference to SETI in such a "manner" leads me to perceive this as an UNSOUND argument.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by tmayhew01]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

SETI is a waste of time, the aliens are here, they have been all along. They are just not what you expected. You are looking for the same as us, but different. The truth is they are different from us, sooooooo alien that you can't even begin to understand them, even if you wanted to. I don't think i will buy the magazine, i hate to read writers who write about things they don't understand. There are aliens in this photograph with me.....if you can't see me, it's them.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
First of all, the article is not a declaration of "alien life" as your misleading title suggests. Second, I don't think anyone around here is doubting whether aliens exist or not, but rather if they are or have visited here.

Just had to ask, what about the title for this thread is misleading? All they did was say "Aliens Exist" with the name of the magazine and date of publication...

Nothing in that is misleading.. it's exactly what the article says lol

As to the rest.. yes, that's the point that needs to be questioned. Personally I think they have, at least in the past. But that's only an opinion, granted one that's been garnered after quite a bit of reasoning, but an opinion none-the-less

I think the main thing in regards to all these articles and such coming out of late is to get people to change gears. I think that's been going on for quite some time now... since the 50s at least. And it has worked, as you said yourself, most people nowadays think that life exists elsewhere.

And I think that's a good thing to think. The question of whether they've been here is rather moot. Just realizing that there's some OUT there is the big step.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
What is your take on the media now starting to come around about face? TPTB losing their grip? Or slowly trickling more information out for us to feed on??

I don't see any about face in the media, certainly not in the article you linked to. Yes the title is very misleading, but you did just copy the title, so that's ok. But your assertion of some kind of about face...are you basing that on the title? or on what the article says?

If you need any more proof these titles are obviously FALSE, look at the next article's title at the bottom of the OP article:

We Are All Hindus Now

Well that is just about as true as the alien title. They are probably just putting some sensationalistic titles to sell magazines, which I find very disappointing, as I used to respect this magazine.

They do review some interesting science about the fact that we are looking for other habitable worlds.

But for that matter there could be microscopic alien life on Mars if there's any liquid water under the surface. And it would be much easier to confirm on Mars than somewhere many light years away, by means of any telescope.

The best chance is still SETI, and I participated in the SETIatHome project for years trying to help analyze radio signals for signs of intelligent life, that's still our best bet.

Of course 80% of Americans think we are already being visited by aliens, so not too many people are going to get shocked by that title, but it's way beyond misleading, it's just completely unproven, however likely it is (and it's pretty likely IMO).

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I know they exist in puppet form.
And now in written form.
Looks like the Illuminati can't stop talking about what they don't
know just to support themselves.
ED: The UFO doesn't need the alien to exist or be a real metal craft.
The problem is neither can be explained or found.

[edit on 8/30/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
We might be in the center of the univese, but I'm quit sure there is life spread all thru the universe.

As for SETI they could be making mistakes in what they think they are trying to receive, any wave patterns that may pass their way could be so dispersed to such a degree it could not be reconized.
Sound and radio waves tend to spread out as they travel distance, if I remember correctly.

Anyone who does not at least think life is all over the place in our universe, needs to go watch more Star Trek.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

No offense but the only reason SETI is our so-called best chance is because there really aren't any other programs out there doing a scientific search for extraterrestrials. At least to my knowledge.

I feel it would be much more pertinent to get the governments of the world to release what they have concluded regarding the phenomena or even what they may have from such distant civilizations. What I've seen lately we may be starting that process...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmayhew01

No offense but the only reason SETI is our so-called best chance is because there really aren't any other programs out there doing a scientific search for extraterrestrials. At least to my knowledge.

I agree serious research would be nice. This thread has a fascinating outline for serious research: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And you point out some very valid challenges of the SETI project, though I wouldn't quite go so far as to say it's "doomed" like you did, but yes, it's extremely, extremely difficult. Finding a needle in a haystack would be easy by comparison. They are using a pretty impressive telescope though:

Look at how tiny the cars at the lower right are compared to that behemoth!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tmayhew01

Yes you are right there are no other programs out there and I have the SETI program on my computer which doesn't take much space of my computer.

However if I could critisize this program is that they don't give weekly analysis of the findings or of possible signals....

Maybe we should look for the somewhere else.. but where?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

haha, I guess doomed wasn't the right word... Don't get me wrong I love SETI, and have had it on my computer before. I definitely am glad somebody is taking it seriously and approaching it in a research based manner.

But I do feel that there could be better ways out there to search.

However, some may not be as "acceptable" by the general public as SETI

[edit on 30-8-2009 by tmayhew01]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join