It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new show: Surviving Disaster

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I watched the show last night and it reminded me of the "Worst Case Scenario" books! It was very good and informative!

I had a problem with one piece of advice they gave. I hope some of our commercial pilots can clear it up for me. They advised a passenger that had never piloted before should get into the cockpit and pull back on the stick to pull the jet out of a dive? I think that was bad advice, because if the hijacker was removed, the plane would return to level flight on its own! Any inputs from somebody that didn't know what they were doing, could cause a stall and a crash!

I have only flown small planes, no airliners, so I hope some of our commercial pilots can let me know if I am wrong or if the show gave some faulty advice on that aspect?

Overall, it was a very good show!

You consider it good advice to profile all the other passengersw on a plane, and judge for yourself who *might* be a terrorist? Fearmongering, my friend.

Also, a passenger cannot get into the cockpit of a commercial plane. That was one of the major changes made after 9/11. The are all locked. SO that advice is useless, and another peice of propaganda. "Be a patriot, fly the plane with no training". Cmon now.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
WELL i watched the show last night and i found it to be a good watch . they rammed the door open with a cart full of water ice and pop they just didnt open the door and walk in. also if there are no pilots in the plane then what ..? wouldnt you want someone to at least try to land the thing?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
the show is cool and your a loser king but have to make sure you all know that im on topic by saying the show is cool

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by donttaserme
the show is cool and your a loser king but have to make sure you all know that im on topic by saying the show is cool

And that's how they get you. It's cool, so you won't think any more deeply on the subject.

As long as it's cool, it must be good.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
alls i was trying to say was that i liked watching it .. will i ever be hijacked in a plane .. most likely not will i ever need to jam my hand into someones upper lip and push back most likely not, will i have to ram open a cockpit door with a cart. no. just enjoyed watching it for the hour before hells kitchen lol

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by donttaserme
WELL i watched the show last night and i found it to be a good watch . they rammed the door open with a cart full of water ice and pop they just didnt open the door and walk in. also if there are no pilots in the plane then what ..? wouldnt you want someone to at least try to land the thing?

So either they admit that there is no point in locking the cockpit, they are giving hijackers tips on how to open the cockpit door, or they are feeding you a bunch of hogwash.

Good things to choose from there.....

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
thats the one thing i didnt understand .. they were showing everyone things that could have been used as a weapon .. that thought did cross my mind .. (now they all know what else to use ) pens spines of books pillows lol oh well maybe next week will be different .. how to escape an office fire lol

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I thought it was awesome. The Colony makes me so mad I can't stand it. Seriously, who has thousand watt solar panels just laying around?

Surviving Disaster wasn't completely realistic, but it was graphic.

The guy was a Navy SEAL and I think he knows his stuff. The parts about the 'war cry' and how to restrain someone are dead on!

The 'landing the plane' part was exaggerated though. Programming an FMC is much more difficult than typing in the airport identifier.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

I usually do a search and I did and I didn't see the topic. It might of gotten buried, I dunno. Sorry!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Interesting point you got there.

I will have to watch the show to understand further. But I can see both points of view.

Are your chances of getting into a disaster slim? Hell yes.

In fact that is one of my arguements about the hordes of money spent on anti-terrorism. There could be an attack like 9/11 once a week and your chances of dies are 1:145000 in a lifetime.

But if this show is truley telling you how to survive, then that is empowerment.

See my thread here:

thread pimpin

The surest way for someone to survive is to train them how to get out. Not to sit around and wait for authorities.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by donttaserme

You know what I am allowed to bring on a plane?

Knitting needles.

Now I have my little sewing scissors taken away. But I am allowed to keep 18 inch skewers.

Figure that one out.

If you want a weapon, pretend to knit. And trust me, every person around me eyeballs me like I snuck those things on.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Interesting point you got there.

I will have to watch the show to understand further. But I can see both points of view.

Are your chances of getting into a disaster slim? Hell yes.

In fact that is one of my arguements about the hordes of money spent on anti-terrorism. There could be an attack like 9/11 once a week and your chances of dies are 1:145000 in a lifetime.

But if this show is truley telling you how to survive, then that is empowerment.

See my thread here:

thread pimpin

The surest way for someone to survive is to train them how to get out. Not to sit around and wait for authorities.

I do think there are some good things to learn from a show like this, but overall, the idea is to get ratings. And ratings come from sensationalism.

There are far better ways to prepare for a disaster that WON'T throw out whatever today's fear-du-jour is.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I have a set (3) of the very plastic knives that the hijackers on that show were using! I bought them specifically for air travel! I can easily take them on board the plane with no hassle, and I know I have at least a basic defensive weapon!

I also was discussing with my wife that I don't think there are any more hijackings in our future. Before 9/11 people would comply with the hijackers, but now they assume it is a suicide mission and they would fight! Plus, the cockpit doors are now reinforced, and the pre-boarding scans are so much more intense, that I think Hijacking a plane is no longer a viable option!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
LIke all good cable networks, spike has been re airing the show.

I can see everyone's points.

About the weapons, I think basically what they are saying is that trained hijackers are alredy gonna know this. They are not telling anything new.

I think the watching people and watching body language is a tad bit creepy. Not to mention, you kinda have to be skilled to watch body language. Your just freaking out the general public with that. A guy could be getting ready to do a multi-million dollar pitch, yea he is gonna be nervous.

I also do think there is a little fear pandering considering the first show is about hijacking and they just released it before 9/11. hhhmmm

That being said, I was actually impressed, and the information they gave was invaluable. I like to study distaster scenarios, and I learned new things.
Overall I give this show a good thumbs up.
Not only did they give you info, they had the sudden killing of the woman. It means that you have to expect bad things and learn to operate under that pressure.

They even showed the guy playing hero. That is a typical stress response. Usually being panic, denial, shutdown, or heroism. They all work at some point, but sometimes they get you killed. What most disaster training is about is learning to ignore those or work with them and get your mind working.

I got it on dvr now so I won't miss next weeks. I think the office fire is going to be a very valuable one, considering that could happen to anybody.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Read the following Outline below.
Post your answers, and other people will critique your chances of survival.

SPLIT DECISION SURVIVAL TEST:
1) It’s Tuesday at 11:30am.
2) Your Spouse is at work 45 miles across town.
3) Your two children are in different schools, 15 and 21 miles from home.
4) You are at work, about 35 miles from home.
5) Coming out of the bathroom, you notice that some of your co-workers are hurrying out the front door, headed towards their cars.
6) Others are gathering up their things and getting ready to head out the doors as well.
7) You stop your friend, asking him what’s going on. He doesn’t say anything, just points to the television on the break room wall.
8) A “Special Report” is repeating the following information:
“It has been confirmed. Scientists and Government Officials have confirmed that a CME, Coronal Mass Ejection, has been detected by NASA satellites. This CME is estimated to strike our planet within the next 45 minutes. Folks we have about 25 minutes left. For those of you unsure of what a CME is; it’s a super charged beam of very hot light, much like Gamma Radiation. Everyone is urged to seek shelter immediately. Get under protective shelter as fast as you can, and as quick as you can.”
9) Grabbing your cell phone, you dial your spouse’s number. The circuit is busy. You dial the oldest child’s cell phone, and receive the same message.
10) You quickly head out the door, and hop into your car. With screeching tires you point the car towards the highway heading home. But you don’t get far. The highway is jammed with people trying to get home. Some have abandoned their vehicles, taking to foot. Already there is a massive traffic jam.

SITUATION:
The cell phones are out---
You only have ¼ tank of gas to make it 35 miles---
Your family is spread out across the city, and you cannot reach any of them---
The children ride a bus to school---
Your spouse’s car was dropped off at the garage this morning, for a quick tune up and oil change. She was expecting you to pick her up from work, and retrieve her car afterwards---
What Do You Do Now?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskaFranke

Just out of curiosity, what protects you from a CME?
That might help me answer.

Other then electronic distruptions, I thought CME didn't do anything.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Read the following Outline below.
Post your answers, and other people will critique your chances of survival.

SPLIT DECISION SURVIVAL TEST:
It’s Saturday Night, 11:59AM

You are awakened to a sound outside your home.

On the way from the master bedroom, you notice a bunch of red and blue lights from the hallway window.

Looking out the window, you notice the following:

State Police Cruisers, County Sheriff’s Cruisers, City Police Cruisers, Military Hummers’; as well as, what appears to be a company of US Marines, aided by law enforcement officers.

Slipping into your shoes you stroll out the front door and have a look around.

Once outside, you stand at the edge of your property, on your sidewalk, and observe the following going on around you, in your neighborhood:

Both ends of your street are block by police cars.

The entire streets is illuminated with portable generator lights.

Squads of US Marines, along with several police officers are pounding on your neighbors door.

Across the street, and five houses down, you hear the sound of glass breaking; then the booming of a shotgun, followed immediately by several full auto weapons. A woman screams, another gunshot, and then the sounds of many full auto weapons firing. You hear the stomping of boots, screeching tires, and more breaking glass.

Two house down on your right, a Deputy Sherriff uses a bullhorn.
“By the order of the Governor, we have been authorized to confiscate all firearms I n this area. Please do not resist. We are here to search and remove any weapons. We intend you no harm. We just want your weapons. A receipt will be provided for every weapon that we confiscate. This is only a temporary situation. Your weapons will be returned to you at a later time. Please open your front door, and await one of our teams, we do have a search warrant…:”

Inside the house you have several firearms. You turn and look towards your home. Your wife stands on the front porch in her robe; her arms wrapped protectively around your children.

SITUATION:
Due to rising crime rates in your city; the Governor has declared all firearms illegal, and orders a confiscation of weapons.

WHAT DO YOU DO NOW?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join