It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new show: Surviving Disaster

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
linkIt is on Spike TV and starts September 1. I will be interested in watching it. Hope I am not dissappointed. Will it really be about surving disaster or just all frilly information?

The previews look interesting. It shows a major disaster situation and the guy yells, you can survive this.

So we will see....

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It looks interesting... Hope it is better than the "colony" which is so unrealistic.

I have the DVR ready for Tuesday's show.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Oh I meant to watch the colony. It is a no go?

What is it like?

How did my link get up there?

[edit on 30-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Colony seems like "survivor" but with more drama. I dunno, saw one episode,might watch it again.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
yeah, survivorman seems more practical out of all of the shows, this new one seems good, "the colony" is a reality, almost competition show...not good. man vs wild is staged "survival-like scenarios" which come off as fake, and some of the techniques he uses seem downright risky, even too dangerous for the lay survivalist...

i find that movie "special features" have a lot to provide, especially movies like "shooter", "the hunted" and so forth...movies on topics of survival/camo and concealment, etc...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by patrickhatch

There a lot of shows about surviving diasters or out in the wild. I wonder if maybe there may be a time when we have to use this information.
What if they were preparing us for something major about to happen that would send us back to living without the nessecities we are used to.
I certianly hope not but honestly I do not think most people would know how to live.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by dreamseeker]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Honestly I think it is just part of a theme. They kind of ride the coattails of shows like super volcanoes or super tsunamis.

Just like there are a 100 series on how to redecorate your home.

Nothing can take the place of your own personal preparation.

CX

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Looks interesting, thanks for the heads up.

I see they have the Bravo Two Zero story on there, i'd keep a very open mind when reading that one or watching it, theres enough controversy surrounding that patrol and the exagerations made by the authors of that book to fill an entire forum.

CX.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

What is that? never heard of it.

CX

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by CX

What is that? never heard of it.

An SAS patrol/mission in Iraq, things went wrong and lots allegedly happened before they made it back home. It was a best seller written by the SAS soldier himself. However it was very eventfull, some say too eventfull....some say a total crock. (Including blokes from the regiment)

By the sounds of it, the account of the mission was exagerated to sell the book, something that doesn't go down to well with serving members.

Google "Real Bravo Two Zero" and you'll find a million results for discussions about this on the net.

Good soldiers either way, and i wasn't there so my opinion is a non-issue.

CX.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
i've seen the military channel doc about it, idk how much is from first hand reports vs. the book though, but it was pretty rough from the documentary and re-enactments, etc...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
OMG I fell asleep and missed it! BAD nixie.
How was the show?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Excellent show. The host is knowledgeable, experienced, succinct, practical, and insightful.

This isn't a BS show.

This is practical knowledge obtained by the blood of others, and many things on the particular disaster of the moment has far many more applications in other disasters.

Like cross-training.

Look forward to seeing the next one.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Awesome. I really hope they will reshow it. I will make sure to set the dvr next time!

CX

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
OMG I fell asleep and missed it! BAD nixie.
How was the show?

Lol, i forgot all about it.

Hopefully it will be on again.

CX.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I said this in another thread, but I'll say it here too:

Surviving Disaster is made in affiliation with the RAND Corp. Knowing that, and that RAND is a MAJOR government contractor, I guarantee that this show will be nothing but fearmongering and propaganda.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Well you are wrong about the propaganda. As far as the fearmongering..........the show is about surviving disasters, disasters are scary. Its not a show full of rainbows and candy canes.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Well you are wrong about the propaganda. As far as the fearmongering..........the show is about surviving disasters, disasters are scary. Its not a show full of rainbows and candy canes.

How am I wrong about the propaganda? Please, ellaborate.

As for the fearmongering, you are right, learning about disasters is scary. But let's think for a second. Statistically speaking, less tha 1% of the world's population will every be involved in a plane highjacking. Why is it that this is the very first episode?

In the trailers for the show, one of the first thing they talk about are ruthless militias causing civil unrest, which just happens to be something that the government is working very hard right now to keep down.

Go on, be naiive. But dont for a second try and convince me that this isnt just another way to make everyone scared of everything, everyday, realistic or not.

Fear is the ultimate weapon of control.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I watched the show last night and it reminded me of the "Worst Case Scenario" books! It was very good and informative!

I had a problem with one piece of advice they gave. I hope some of our commercial pilots can clear it up for me. They advised a passenger that had never piloted before should get into the cockpit and pull back on the stick to pull the jet out of a dive? I think that was bad advice, because if the hijacker was removed, the plane would return to level flight on its own! Any inputs from somebody that didn't know what they were doing, could cause a stall and a crash!

I have only flown small planes, no airliners, so I hope some of our commercial pilots can let me know if I am wrong or if the show gave some faulty advice on that aspect?

Overall, it was a very good show!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Excellent show. The host is knowledgeable, experienced, succinct, practical, and insightful.

This isn't a BS show.

This is practical knowledge obtained by the blood of others, and many things on the particular disaster of the moment has far many more applications in other disasters.

Like cross-training.

Look forward to seeing the next one.

Correction, this is nothing more than fear mongering propaganda.

Apparently since no one in this thread bothered to watch the clip and recognize that fact, I direct you all to my thread I created on the subject a week ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yay for a search feature that is NEVER utilized.

EDIT: Except cautiouslypessimistic, good work recognizing it for what it is. As well as drawing the link to the RAND corp.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by king9072]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join