It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American commander: US on the road out of Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

American commander: US on the road out of Iraq

news.yahoo.com

BAGHDAD – The U.S. military is packing up to leave Iraq in what has been deemed the largest movement of manpower and equipment in modern military history — shipping out more than 1.5 million pieces of equipment from tanks to antennas along with a force the size of a small city.

The massive operation already under way a year ahead of the Aug. 31, 2010 deadline to remove all U.S. combat troops from Iraq shows the U.S. military has picked up the pace of a planned exit from Iraq that could cost billions.

The goal is to withdraw tens of thousands of troops and about 60 percent of equipmen
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This is great..one less thing for so many to complain about...but I guess they'll find something.

I am glad its happening in an orderly fashion and not hurried or in hast. Everything'll be neatly packed and securely taped.

That's how a job is done right...all the wannabe world powers should learn from this...

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

I hope to God this is true...

If Obama keeps his promise and gets all U.S. troops out of Iraq his "good guy" rating would go through the roof in my eyes...

We have no business there, but it wouldnt surprise me if the real reason has more to do with the accomplishments of the economic goals, and less to do with adhereing to the constitution...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

I think it has more to do with the war in Iraq being over.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Over? And just how was the the ending of the Iraq war defined? What parameters are used in measuring the success of the war in Iraq? Bush declared victory years ago. What has changed? As soon as we leave you don't think violence will increase? We'll be back there don't worry.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I know it's upsetting...but that's about a wrap for Iraq...It's actually been over for about 2 years; one of Washington's best kept secrets.

They actually did a pretty thorough job in Iraq and the people who want Iraq to be violent don't have the strength to be any more than a minor irritation. AQI and the old Baathists got a beating they won't soon forget and everyone else is too embarrassed to talk tough after what happened over there.

The primary criteria would be that no other reasonable forces can rise to claim power. AQI's leader is in prison getting the help he needs and his collaborators are running low on both cash and supplies; probably thinking about heading to Afghanistan or something.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by IDK88]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

That's not Gloom and doom enough for ATS. People wanted the US to loose badly. They wanted a bloodbath. If anybody cares to do some research they'll be disappointed to find that most of the violence over the past 2+ years have been Iraqi on Iraqi. Blowing up masques and market places. Saddam kept power by brutally suppressing the two vying groups. Now that he is gone they are going at it again hot and heavy. The US invasion was just a side show as far as they are concerned. They have been at it for hundreds of years.

People want to deny that fact but oh well!

My son came back from Iraq in March, he was stationed there 18 months. He said it was boring where he was.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

My cousin was there ending this past May and from the pictures he sent it seems that it was more of a vacation in uniform than a war. I am actually happy about that though, he's young.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

I'm not trying to say Iraq isn't a dangerous place for US servicemen anymore. What I am saying is that for the US it is over. It's been over. Most of our guys are sitting around watching Sat TV and working out. My son gained 25lbs muscle. They are too busy trying to position themselves for when we leave to have the maximum influence on the Iraqi government.

Don't worry trust me. When the big day comes about our last man leaving Iraq. Then all the trolls will come out and say it was a defeat. That we got kicked out. They'll drag Bush back into the equation talk about looking for WMDs. Say if you support the war you support Bush. ETC. They'll make all kinds of claims about "Millions" of Iraqi's killed.

Yadda Yadda Blah Blah Blah. Meanwhile those reports count all the deaths since the invasion including sectarian violence which accounts for over half the figures.

OR...

My favorite. The Iranians saved out butts.
Have you heard this one yet?

new topics

top topics

join