It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NUMMI auto plant in California to shut down in March '10

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
www.latimes.com...

The end of the line for California automaking

Toyota will shut down the joint venture it operated with General Motors in Fremont in March, eliminating 4,700 jobs. Sagging sales and GM's bankruptcy are blamed.

By Martin Zimmerman and Maura Dolan
August 28, 2009

Reporting from Los Angeles and Fremont, Calif. - Toyota Motor Corp.'s decision to abandon its assembly line in Fremont marks the end of large-scale auto manufacturing in California, which over the years boasted a dozen or more plants building vehicles ranging from Studebakers to Camaro muscle cars.

The Japanese automaker said Thursday that it would end production at the plant March 31, throwing 4,700 people out of work, and return some production to Japan.

It's another hard blow for California, a state already grappling with an 11.9% unemployment rate -- its highest since World War II and the fourth-worst in the nation.

In addition to wiping out the jobs directly tied to the plant, closing the facility will send ripples through the web of suppliers that make components for the factory and through nearby stores, restaurants and bars that depend on its workers for business.

Overall, closing the plant could cost more than 40,000 jobs, according to Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who has worked with other public officials to try to keep the plant open. But communications with Toyota eventually broke down, she said.

See link for full article

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
So, 4,700 direct jobs lost in the area, and 40,000 total direct and indirect jobs lost. That explains the number of employed dropping and unemployed rising.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Dbriefed]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
You'd think that all DiFI would have to do would be to wave her magic broom over the unemployed and 'presto-chango', instant bail out for her constituents!
I really can't wait to see who they blame in Kalifornia for their problems. Probably Bush!!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

Didn't read much about it till today. Thought it was something that needed discussed and BLAMMO!

Just another nail in the coffin of CA, I suppose. I thought that Toyota was one of the big 'gainers' with the cash for clunkers crap. I guess it was good enough for them to pocket a little more green before they bailed.

new topics

top topics

join